Anyone tried the Eco Egg?

Comments

• I have an ecoegg and I havnt never used vinegar in the rinse cycle so I couldnt tell you if it shortens the life of the pellets. I have never needed to add a softener when using the ecoegg because my clothes come out pretty soft anyway. I think its the black pellets that do the softening bit. Why dont you give it a go without the vinegar and see if the clothes are soft enough for you.
  • [FONT=&quot]We've got an ecoegg and it works wonders. The only down side is that it doesn't get rid of stains and grease very well. We have to use washing power and stain remover on them to get them out, but apart from that, cleans clothes really well. Would recommend to people who don’t have many grease or stains on their clothes.
    [/FONT]
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 August 2012 at 10:45AM
    I use them all the time. We are also in a hard water area.
    Occasionally add a little stain remover if extra dirty washing. (even my husband no longer uses snotty hankies, so I wouldn't know about getting those clean)

We also use them in our camper - travelled round for 3 months earlier this year. We use them to hand wash - soak first for 20 mins in hot water.

They are ideal in this situation, as water is generally short for washing, and rinsing out detergent suds takes a lot longer than the actual washing of the garments. It has saved me a small fortune in laundrette costs while travelling. Again any particular stains, & I spray with stain remover - or when hand washing, I just rub the stains with a bar of soap.
    My daughter always uses them to hand wash her bras, & any other delicate stuff at home.

I don't use fabric softener, but do use the knobbly ball things that you put in the tumble drier. I read somewhere that towels are not so absorbent when you use fabric softener - & it certainly seems to be the case imho although the towels do not feel as soft.

However they are a pain in the proverbial for parting in the wash.
    To counteract this, I have fastened them together with plastic garden ties that you use to fasten plants with. They are removeable, so when I need to fill up the egg with new beads, I can partially refil them - its tricky, but does work.

For extra info, I go mine from QVC. I rang long after the 30 days, and got replacement "eggs" sent, but they were the same stupid design, so that was when I came up with using the plastic tags to tie them together.
  • pwllbwdr
    pwllbwdr Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

I tend to agree ... the independent test results were run at 15C, a temperature where most/many washing powders produce very poor results anyway, so perhaps that's what the test was designed to do ... provide very little cleaning benefit from chemicals so that a hard object within the washload would perform relatively better .... perhaps the 'river pebble in a towling sock' raised a few posts back should have been used as a control in the test ..... :D

[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

Perhaps Rob from EcoEgg will be so kind as to put my sceptical mind at ease later ... ;)

HTH
    Z

It seems to me that the temperature at which the tests were run is a rather significant point. I don't know what text was deleted by the forum team, but the footing says that an investigation was taking place. That was months ago - what happened?
  • A lot of people are coming to this thread from Google so we've re-opened it.

If you weren't around when the discussion was originally started in 2012, have you used eco eggs? What do you think?
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    A lot of people are coming to this thread from Google so we've re-opened it.

If you weren't around when the discussion was originally started in 2012, have you used eco eggs? What do you think?
    Hi

We haven't, additionally, I've just re-read what it was all about (as my memory's not quite that good!) & my opinion would now be exactly the same as it was then ...

As no detailed information was forthcoming at the time, I'd consider that it says something about the product which supports a position of scepticism ..

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Never used them but having seen this thread I do have some rounded pebbles from the beach and some old socks. A simple matter to put the spin speed to zero, take the pebbles out and then do a proper spin..

Joking aside I do occasionally do the odd freshen up wash without detergent, and there always seems to be some residue left.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    One of our 'cheapie' shops was selling Eco-eggs at a good price last month and a friend bought a couple. She is vegetarian and won't buy anything tested on animals etc. Says she is well pleased with them.

Interestingly I note that Lakeland are now selling them- they generally quality test products before they sell so I guess they pass muster.

And yes, I bought a couple as well but have a load of conventional laundry products to use first........
    They were a bargain - 210 washes x2 for £10
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • We been using the ecoeggs for about 3 months now.. they work!
  • Dickymicky wrote: »
    We been using the ecoeggs for about 3 months now.. they work!
    What ones do you use, I'm wondering if there is a difference in the formulas. I might give them a try, as I really am trying to cut down on packaging, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure