We can't afford to live together and have children

Comments

• fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    JPB156 wrote: »
    Fed up with you putting words in my mouth, I never said that. The context of that post is because you were implying I had a cushy little existence where everything is done for me just because I'm living at home I wasn't saying I'm running a house like it's my own
    Well to be fair if you've never had to budget, do the food shopping, pay the bills or change energy suppliers then yes, you have had a pretty cushy existence.
  • JPB156
    JPB156 Posts: 91 Forumite
    How much are houses in Northern Ireland :)
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    How much are houses in Northern Ireland :)

What to save the £20/30 a month on water?.....
  • JPB156
    Yes guest101, I'm now seriously considering moving jobs, away from our family and everything else for that, the smiley face I put on that post was in no way implying it was a joke and I've just found a great house in n Ireland and thinking of putting an offer in ��
  • mai_taylor
    mai_taylor Posts: 220 Forumite
    Can't really tell how much our shopping will be until we're in our house and going shopping.
    How come you don't pay water rates?

Shopping is how ever much you can afford it to be, if you buy caviar and champagne ever month then it will be a lot. We probably spend £150 a month for two of us, some people spend more some less.

The point is it's doable if you want it enough you will find a way to make it work. I'd rather have our own home but not have luxury's like mobile contracts and a TV package than not have it. I'd sacrifice going out with friends and going on holidays to have our house. The problem is I don't think you want this enough.
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Malthusian wrote: »
    Normally I would agree but there's three problems with that:

1) More data is not going to help the OP make a better decision. The OP can't process the data he has already.

2) Their budget as a renter is too different from their budget as a homeowner to be particularly useful information. Not only are there expenses a homeowner has that a renter doesn't, but they're unlikely to rent a three-bedroom house, so it's very difficult to compare.

3) They really love this house (or rather the girlfriend loves the house and the OP thinks it's too good for them which is basically the same thing). In a year it won't be on sale.

Alternatively they can just live in the house for a year and if they are spending too much, spend less.

yes but renting is a bit closer than living at home (and OP clearly doesn't know what living costs are). And we rented a 3 bed before buying, as a couple. But that was because OH had owned a 3 bed before we moved for his work, and thus we had a load of cr** to put somewhere

And SHE might really love the house, but it'll have sold already. Never mind in a year's time

BUT OP doesn't want our advice on anything except the mortgage, doesn't like what they're being told so keeps asking. So we may as well all just bang our heads on the wall
  • Guest101
    Yes guest101, I'm now seriously considering moving jobs, away from our family and everything else for that, the smiley face I put on that post was in no way implying it was a joke and I've just found a great house in n Ireland and thinking of putting an offer in ��

I was just pointing out that the amounts we're talking about aren't massive.
  • JPB156
    I've already taken out holidays and TV packages, I'm fine with freeview and dvds. And we both have sim only deals which come to 20 a month for both of us so again feel your judgement a little unfair
  • JPB156
    Who's not listening, in between all the rubbish there is a nice conversation about living costs going on with a couple of other posters
  • Guest101
    I've already taken out holidays and TV packages, I'm fine with freeview and dvds. And we both have sim only deals which come to 20 a month for both of us so again feel your judgement a little unfair

Just stop a second, please.

My income is lower than your combined income. With partner working very part time and benefits, we manage to rent a house, for 5 of us, run a car, have holiday, tv packages, bunch of consoles, ipads etc, 2 contract phones and 4 pets!

- You're panicking, just stop
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport