PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Anyone read recently about bee sting therapy for MS? Amazing but painful treatment. (Poor bees aren't too happy either, as they die after stinging.)
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Lillibet - hope your Freesat is all right now. Ours has been fine.
  • ivyleaf wrote: »
    Lillibet - hope your Freesat is all right now. Ours has been fine.

Thanks Ivy - it seems OK now. Weather was absolutely gorgeous so nothing to do with wind or rain.
    As I said, anything out of the ordinary at the moment .....:o
    :j[DFW Nerd club #1142 Proud to be dealing with my debt:TDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862:eek:April 2013 = £20414:T April 2014 = £11000 :TApril 2015 = £9500 :T April 2016 = £7200:T
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM:j:j:beer::j:j:T:T
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 17 May 2017 at 4:32PM
    :) 36 lb on an American flat bow, cappella. I can draw 45 lb but with difficulty, Teach said I could draw 45 lb easily but not with only one 2 hr practise session a week, I wouldn't be doing enough archery to keep my muscles conditioned for that poundage. Archery uses the minor muscles of the arm and shoulder so it's not like some gym rat with bulging biceps is going to be any good at it - there's a fair overlap with the same muscles being used by climbers, apparently (Teach teaches climbing and archery and canoeing too).

Most amusingly, one of my classmates (I'm the only one not using a recurve) had a go with Teach's flat bow and their arrows went all over the shop, they hadn't realised that they're a lot more difficult to use than moden bows. They looked at me wiv respekt afterwards, lol.

For non-archery people, the American flat bow is a development on the trad longbow (eg Robin Hood stylee) made possible by improvements in adhesives in the 1920s - it's laminated you see.

:o Mind you, I find the trad longbows very difficult to use but can't be arrissed with recurves although they dismantle and pack away very sexily into sniper-style carry-cases. And they have sights.

Rest assured, come the zombie apocalypse, I have your back. It may be full of arrows like a hedgehog has spines, but I have it. :rotfl:

Just taking five with a cuppa after w*rk and will be heading up to the lottie - the rain we've just had won't have watered the cold frame so I have to go up to deal with that and check that the weeds aren't getting insolent.

ETA; the leeks have germinated! Phew, sowed them on 20/04 and hadn't seen any until now. What a relief. Spent 5 mins on the plot, watered cold frame, hacked off some chard leaves and picked some mint, dumped rotables and headed home. Very humid here and seems likely to rain again - bring it :)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,000
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My dads funeral yesterday all went well especially different parts of family not arguing , ashes are being interred in a couple of weeks in his local church where he was quite active..

i have a wicker wall unit but the glass shelf broke will replace with wood but need a piece cutting for it only 65cm/29cm will B&Q do something like that not a big job....still filling up my veg and beans tinned cupboard..... you all take care
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Oh daz, so glad the funeral went all right x
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    daz378 wrote: »

i have a wicker wall unit but the glass shelf broke will replace with wood but need a piece cutting for it only 65cm/29cm will B&Q do something like that not a big job

Not sure about B&Q. I think you only need to go to a glaziers shop with one of the other shelves, and they should be able to cut one the same.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    jk0 wrote: »
    Anyone read recently about bee sting therapy for MS? Amazing but painful treatment. (Poor bees aren't too happy either, as they die after stinging.)

If there is anything in this then that is brilliant news - I would not wish something like MS on my worst enemy.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • GreyQueen wrote: »
    And they have sights.

You can fit a sight on a straight bow.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 18 May 2017 at 6:49AM
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    You can fit a sight on a straight bow.
    :p Don't need one - I've two functional eyes and am just as accurate as those shooting alongside me using sights on recurves and compounds.

We've had a lot of rain late evening and overnight, am totally thrilled as it's been parched here and the farmers had the irrigatiors out but were still worried about the crops. I'm pleased for my allotment but will have to have the hoe out imminenetly as the weed seeds will come up like cress after this rain; have been having an easy time of it thus far because the drought has stopped many of them from germinating.

Well, it hasn't stopped horsetail from sprouting but, then again, something with roots six foot deep isn't fretted by a little drought. Dadblasted stuff, I'm carrying out a mini experiment drying it out for burning later, thinking the silicate bound up in it might be a soil improver.

Any thoughts on that from gardening wallahs?

ETA; Just had the first email of 2017 from Blightwatch and it was talking about 'Hutton' periods instead of Smith periods, so a quick bit if internetting has revealed that the term has been replaced late in 2016 after further research revealed that late potato blight wasn't being adequately predicted by the Smith criteria (min temp 10 c, relative humidity at least 90% for 11 hours for two consecutive days) and now the criteria is the same but for 6 hours not 11).

Interestingly, a convo a few weeks ago with a fellow allotmenteer whose plot is not 100 yards from mine as the wood pigeon flies, revealed that he'd lost a lot of his 2016 spuds to blight. I'd had second earlies and main crop lifted on 14/08/16 and no sign of blight whatsoever. Astonishing, it normally travels like plague - oh, hang on, I'm downwind of him in terms of prevailing wind direction, maybe that might explain it?!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills