MSE News: Atom Bank puts ALL its savings rates up for the chop – act ASAP or lose...

Options
App-only Atom Bank is cutting the rates of all four of its market-leading accounts from 11.59pm tonight...
Read the full story:
'Atom Bank puts ALL its savings rates up for the chop – act ASAP or lose the top rate'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• alanwsg
    alanwsg Posts: 765 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have to say - Epic fail in the headline dept.

With a quick glance I read that as "Atom Bank puts ALL its savings rates up".
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tomorrow's headline:

'Atom Bank app crashes as savers stampede to beat deadline for its fixed rates'
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    alanwsg wrote: »
    Have to say - Epic fail in the headline dept.

With a quick glance I read that as "Atom Bank puts ALL its savings rates up".

Someone beat me to it I see. I was going to say something along the lines of
    ALL its savings down for the chop surely?
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    These thread titles are getting ridiculous...
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • Elijah_Bailey
    Options
    The headline should read "Atom bank reduces interest rates tonight".

This downmarket sensationalist and tabloid attitude should be beneath the good people at MSE.
  • Rollinghome
    Rollinghome Posts: 2,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE_Luke wrote: »
    'Atom Bank puts ALL its savings rates up for the chop – act ASAP or lose the top rate'
    You say: "Atom blamed high demand for its decision to reduce rates on its one-, two-, three- and five-year accounts – demand which it said was "mainly" due to "several favourable mentions" by MoneySavingExpert."

Well done. By using these hysterical headlines MSE creates panic so that people are encouraged to lock away their money at a fixed rate, below the expected rate of inflation, for 3 years instead of having a reasonable time to think carefully whether doing so would be suitable for them or not.

And of course, as Atom have made clear, the actions of MSE has caused them to reduce the rates offered which also makes it unnecessary for other banks to compete with those high rates.

There was a time when Martin Lewis pretended to be on the side of the consumer.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    george4064 wrote: »
    These thread titles are getting ridiculous...

MSE: "Atom Bank raises blood pressures and takes levels of consumer frustration to new heights with increasingly frequent rate cuts which top customer polls for most disappointing news"

Confused reader: "Err... yay?"
    : )
  • dlslack47
    Options
    Atom want you to Register by asking you to tick the box saying you have read and understand the 4 (!) types of T&C's. ........ but there are no links at this point to lead you to any of the 4 (!) T&C's.
    Dodgy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MiserlyMartin
    MiserlyMartin Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Crazy times we live in. A stampede to get a paltry 2%!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure