Real-life MMD: Waitress takes leftovers to give to a retirement home. Should I report

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 4 February 2014 at 2:02PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Waitress takes leftovers to give to a retirement home. Should I report her?

I work as a waitress at private functions. After events, loads of cakes, sandwiches, etc, are thrown away, even though they're still perfectly good. Our bosses say we're not allowed to take anything home, but one of my colleagues sneaks things into her bag. I was going to report her, but found out she gives them to residents at the retirement home her mum is at and they look forward to the treats. Should I say something?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

If you have a real-life money MORAL dilemma, email [EMAIL="MMD@moneysavingexpert.com"]MMD@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• mgush5
    mgush5 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I would speak to the OWNER of the restaurant (not your bosses) to help her indirectly, If things are going to be thrown out anyway, and they do not want food to be taken by the staff why not say to the owner something like:

"You know we always have a lot of food left over after functions, but our bosses won't allow anyone to take anything home with us, have you considered donating them to those less fortunate, Waitress X's mum is in a nursing home and I am sure they would love to get extra treats, in fact if we do that then we could always pretend we are someone else and tell the local paper about it - they publish an article about us helping out and we'd get more business from it potentially"

That way if the owner says no then the waitress can keep doing what she is without anyone knowing and if the owner says yes, more treats, and you've helped raise the profile of the restaurant (though it may not please your bosses but if they react negatively to the change then tell the owner) and it may get you a bonus, or help you get a promotion
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This really kind of answers itself, don't you think? :)
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • nikki299
    nikki299 Posts: 75 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2014 at 9:56PM
    Options
    If the stuff is going in the bin I can't believe you are sad enough to actually think about reporting her regardless of what she is doing with the food.

The old folk look forward to the treats so would it make you feel good about yourself to take them away and possibly cost your colleague her job????
  • iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why report her? There's nothing wrong with the food and presumably you agree that it shouldn't go to waste. How much food can a person get in one bag? It's not like she's got someone waiting at the back door to sneak trays of stuff into a car.

No, don't say anything, it's really none of your business. The waitress is treating some old folk to a few cream cakes, and if she gets caught by your boss it's her problem to deal with, so leave her to it.

(How is this a money dilemma?)
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No you shouldn't report her.
    But do think what you will say if your boss asks you directly- "Did you know?"
  • rachiibell
    Options
    Mind your own business! She's not hurting you so just let her be. Its great that she's donating them to a nursing home but that's not really the point she could be taking them home to scoff all by herself it still doesn't concern you.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A friend's mum used to work in a bakers and at the end of the day they had to squash up all the leftover bread and cakes, even the staff were not allowed to take anything home.

I think that is disgraceful that food should be wasted like that.

I most certainly would not say anything - good luck to her!
  • ShadowPuma
    Options
    Personally wouldn't say anything but I can see where the company could be coming from for one reason: Should there be a problem with the food that makes the eater sick - allergen for example - they may be liable. Unlikely but it is an issue that has had to be considered by many because of a few very rare cases and more lots of bad publicity of the heightened risk feeling these days.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I wouldn't report her, but if asked directly I don't think I'd lie.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    It's no concern of yours, mind your own business.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure