Monarch delays & Compensations. Listed flights denied in O.P.

Comments

• Congratulations to Mark2sparks on getting his compensation.

Could you summarize the circumstances that caused your flight delay & the steps that you took to get your compensation?

I was on a flight from Gatwick to Malaga on 7/10/12 which was delayed for 8 hours. Monarch have claimed extra-ordinary technical issues. Was this delay a result of the same technical issue that caused your delay ?

Many thanks
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    toptree wrote: »
    Congratulations to Mark2sparks on getting his compensation.

Could you summarize the circumstances that caused your flight delay & the steps that you took to get your compensation?

I was on a flight from Gatwick to Malaga on 7/10/12 which was delayed for 8 hours. Monarch have claimed extra-ordinary technical issues. Was this delay a result of the same technical issue that caused your delay ?

Many thanks

no they forgot his plane
    Mark2spark wrote: »

Just to refresh peoples memories of my case...
    Majorca to gatwick 5 and half hour delay last Oct, the pilot, chief cabin crew, and people arriving on the preceeding flight, all told the same story.
    Pilots arrived at LGW at 6 am ish to find no plane to take the (approx) 8 or 9 am flight to Majorca. They jumped in a taxi to heathrow and took a aer lingus flight to Cork Eire to collect the empty plane and fly it to gatwick, where the days flights then resumed, 5 - 6 hours late.
    Monarch admin *forgot* to have the empty plane flown in overnight from Cork.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So, having written to Monarch in October about the 24 hour delay we experienced returning from Sharm - and having had nothing back beyond a terse acknowledgement that the forms were received - I last week wrote to them again, giving Monarch 14 days to respond before I issue proceedings.

And - with only seven days to go now - Monarch remain utterly silent. Does anyone actually think that they will reply before I have to go to MCOL? It's really quite extraordinary. I wonder what the Court will make of it all?

When I spoke to the social media team a couple of weeks ago they said that my claim was with Monarch's engineering department. Makes you wonder whether they ever had any intention of replying at all ... Ho hum.
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    toptree wrote: »
    Congratulations to Mark2sparks on getting his compensation.

Many thanks

Glentoran gives a brief recap of my circumstances.
    I believe that you're flight would have been on the same plane that we had just landed on, as we were also told that Malaga, and then Lanzarote, where the next destinations on the days rota. (told by cabin crew).
    There's a little more to my story.
    Our flight was originally due to be operated by a bigger aircraft, for some reason this went out of service, so Monarch had to supply two planes to carry the same amount of passengers. The first plane was at Majorca and departed on time, I can't be certain but I think it had a different flight number. Our plane was delayed as already explained.
    So there are no EC's to your delayed flight to Malaga, indeed there are quotes on here from the EU ruling that say that only EC's relating to your actual flight, and NOT the previous flight, are valid.
  • Vauban
    Mark2spark wrote: »
    So there are no EC's to your delayed flight to Malaga, indeed there are quotes on here from the EU ruling that say that only EC's relating to your actual flight, and NOT the previous flight, are valid.

Mark - that's interesting: I hadn't spotted those.

I must try to find them, since my delay was caused by the failure of the airplane to leave Gatwick for Sharm - due I gather to a cracked windscreen. Of course those unfortunates lost a day of their holiday to boot!
  • Vauban
    To see that Monarch made the Guardian at the end of last week - I missed that one. Some of the characters who loiter here, and who left comments on the original Guardian piece, get reported too. Nice to see Monarch being call out like this. Well deserved.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/jan/31/airlines-refuse-delayed-flight-payouts
  • We lodged a claim for compensationfrom monarch in October 2011 and received a full explanation in writing from a Senior executive saying basically there was a part required for the aircraft that had to be flown from somewhere. My claim was refused on the grounds that EU had not passed any regulations at that time regarding compensation. Once the EU legisistation was passed I wrote to Monarch again attaching a copy of my original claim and their full reply. I got the usual holding response. I have chased several times but nothing. As I have already received in writing a full explanation why do they have to investigate further. At no stage have I been given a Claims number for reference so my claim could be in a pile anywhere. Is there anyone in Monarch I can E Mail who might actually reply.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Try Doreen.slack@monarch.co.uk she was quite helpful for me
  • Hi Mark2Spark

Our original flight (ZB742 on 7/10/12) was due to depart from Gatwick at 15:25, destination Malaga. Monarch have claimed extraordinary circumstances for the 8 hour delay. To quote them, " the aircraft scheduled to operate your flight developed a number 2 C-duct engine fault and the fan cowl was delaminated. A replacement fan cowl was sourced from Memphis, Tennessee. Due to the size of the component it was only able to be transported on a cargo aircraft from Atlanta, Georgia before being flown to London Heathrow Airport. However unfortunately this led to a delay in the scheduled departure time of your flight. As a consequence your flight was transferred to the first available aircraft within the Monarch fleet. It was also unfortunate that despite Monarch’s best efforts there was no availability to transfer your flight to an aircraft sub-chartered from a third party operator to reduce the length of the delay."

Our delayed flight eventually left around 11:30 pm on 7/10 on a plane that had just done a return trip to Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt.

Do you think that the delay to your flight was originally caused by the same technical issue within the Monarch fleet & did Monarch try to claim this as the reason for your delay ?
    Looking at the flight times your flight should have arrived at Gatwick at 14:10 & mine should have departed at 15:25. These times would suggest there is a likelihood the the same aircraft should have been used. Do you know if this was the case or if there is anyway of checking ?
    If Monarch had remembered to fly your plane in from Cork the night before then logic would suggest it could have been used to fly to Malaga on time later that day.
  • Vauban wrote: »
    Mark - that's interesting: I hadn't spotted those.

I must try to find them, since my delay was caused by the failure of the airplane to leave Gatwick for Sharm - due I gather to a cracked windscreen. Of course those unfortunates lost a day of their holiday to boot!

The legal principle governing the knock-on effect of extraordinary circumstances was handed down by the ECJ on 4th October, 2012 in the case of Finnair Oyj v Timy Lassooy (C-22/11). Where a passenger is denied boarding due to his/her flight being rescheduled following an earlier cancellation due to extraordinary circumstances, the carrier cannot rely on those prior extraordinary circumstances to claim boarding was denied on reasonable grounds, thus exempting it from the obligation to pay compensation to the passenger. This judgment is entirely consistent with the Regulation’s requirement to limit any analysis of extraordinary circumstances to “the flight concerned”.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure