Use Vegetable Oil If You Have A Diesel Car

Ever thought of using vegetable oil in your diesel car ? last month revenues and excise have given everybody a personal limit of 2500 litres of bio diesel duty free per annum. So if you have 5 people in your house you can safely use 12500 litres of vege oil per annum and as it is 54p at most supermarkets and if you buy in bulk direct from the manufactureres this turns down to approx 42p per litre. against 99p per liter of diesel and 97p per liter of petrol.
this would save you a bomb. Also some vehicles do not need conversion either before they can accept vegetable oil either.
ONLY COPY WHAT I AM DOING IF YOU ARE 100% SURE AND YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE END RESULT MAY BE. ALWAYS CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL BEFORE FOLLOWING MY ADVICE. I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED . IF WHAT I AM DOING HELPS YOU IN ANY WAY CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON

IS THIS OF ANY USE ? 37 votes

YUP
45% 17 votes
NOPE
54% 20 votes

Comments

• This has just jumped to 68p a litre in tescos/asdas etc. still 31p cheaper than diesel and also do not forget that diesel is due to soar in the coming months.
    ONLY COPY WHAT I AM DOING IF YOU ARE 100% SURE AND YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE END RESULT MAY BE. ALWAYS CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL BEFORE FOLLOWING MY ADVICE. I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED . IF WHAT I AM DOING HELPS YOU IN ANY WAY CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON
  • TheAble
    TheAble Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    68p per litre to screw up your engine. I'll pay the extra 21 thanks.
  • TheAble wrote: »
    68p per litre to screw up your engine. I'll pay the extra 21 thanks.

so i take it they caught you using red diesel again ??????
  • Oil Has Now Jumped To £2.10 Per 3 Litres A Hike Of Nearly 30p Over 2 Months Per Litre.
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Weren't McDonalds supposed to be going to use the oil from cooking chicken nuggets in their vehicles?
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • I don't think it very responsible to tell people to go put vegetable oil in their tanks. If anyone is planning on trying this PLEASE speak to a reputable mechanic first!
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    In theory, vegetable oil may indeed be used to fuel your diesel car. BUT you need a conversion kit. This is usually an extra tank with a switch. You have to get the car running first on proper diesel and then switch to the oil.

There is another way to use vegetable oil in your car;where it has to be converted into biodiesel first. You do have to pay (reduced) fuel duty on this.
    My O/H tried making some a year or so back. We got the oil free from a chippy who was pleased he didn't have to pay to get rid of it! It works fine, but it is a lot of messing around. I wasn't too impressed by the health and safety aspect.

I wouldn't recommend either option as a money saver. Conversion kits are expensive and vegetable oil is not so very cheap anymore even in bulk. The long-term damage to your car is not really known, but if you can't afford a risk you shouldn't take it!

Boi-diesel kits are cheap but the fuel doesn't work out that much cheaper if you go legal. The kit's makers say it is safe, but I don't buy it! It might well invalidate your home insurance. As someone who has had a house fire in the past I can tell you that they're not much fun, and again, it is a gamble most people wouldn't want to take.

If you want to save fuel costs might I suggest the best money-saving way is using your car less?!

Other ways to boost your MPG include getting rid of unnecessary weight (if you're one of those people with junk in your boot, clear it out!); ensureing that your tyres are correctly inflated to the right pressure, keeping windows closed where possible, and cutting back on air conditioning.
  • So that we can get our facts straight have a look at https://www.etruk.com where the full story about bio diesel is explained. Basically, if you use 'free' waste oil the cost per litre to produce bio desel is 15p per litre. If alternatively you bought ready filtered used veg oil, it would cost approx 20p per litre more.

Each person is allowed 2500 litres per year, free of duty.

Thus you have the choice of paying £1.05 litre for diesel or between 15p and 35p per litre for bio.
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • Doesn't the oil have to be mixed with methanol? Sure it wasn't just cooking oil? Can't see how that can do your engine any good at all, simply not designed for it. Diesel is much thinner than cooking oil too. Wont this have an affect on the fuel pump? It will have to work harder to pump thicker liquid etc?
    Plus the smallest etruk unit is £895+vat will take a while to earn that back i guess.
    Yes found out you do have to use methanol too so there is the price of that to take into consideration. Shame as we have thousands of gallons of methanol we 'dispose' of at work. Shame i cant get it shipped home!
    As to my fuel pump comment above, i can see how when mixed with methanol it would thin the liquid down.
    Total debt at start (nov 07) = [strike]£8907[/strike] £8684
    HSBC CC = [strike]£781[/strike] £761@ 15.9%
    MBNA CC = [strike]£2434[/strike] £2359@ 17.9% (was 24.9!!!!)
    Barclaycard CC = [strike]£5692[/strike] £5564@ 6.9% LOB
    A way to go..

[strike]150[/strike] [strike]250[/strike] 350 piggy points, more to follow
    Proud to be dealing with my debts.
    Long haulers No.62:cool:
  • We were in the Tesco cafe one day and watched a man take a trolley of value cooking oil out into the car park. Wondering if he had a hot food shop or just liked chips we watched as he starting pouring it into his Volvo.

We sat in amazement as he finished and then put the bottles in the recycle container, and then drove off.

We said to the security guard as we left and he said there was a couple of different people doing it.

I always thought cooking oil was a joke.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure