first choice & Thomsons airline flight seating

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    BUKI wrote: »
    my flight is on 20th now, and hoping the seating allocation won't be an issue.
    We plan to be there from 7am and be the first one for the checkin.
    What time is your flight?
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello all

woww... I see a lot of replies / opinions and even some "angry" comments.
    People, do not simply judge anybody without knowing some other facts.

I got this holiday as a sponsor (would not efford it on my own)
    secondly, the booking had been done by somebody else (as I was not able to due ...)

the person who did the booking was not the sponsor, he thought that the checking
    can be done at later stage, THOUGH; he confirmed that at the booking stage only a few seats were available for selection and those ones were not adjecent to each other but rather sepeare.

His logical thinking was: why paying more when ur not sitting close to each other anyways??

So, then I login to go the onlin checking 6 days before the flight, and boooooooom, error appeared with unable to checkin please go to the desk bla bla bla. When speaking / chating with the online agaent they said that the online checking is limited (of which I was not aware of) and is now closed!!

Eitherway, at the time he said there are only 2 seats but again not adjecent!
    So, I said no I rather will speak to the DESK people ... of which I think might not be worth it.

But yeh, my question here was about whether somebody been through same issues
    and how they overcome this at the airport - or possibly asking the stewardess if they can allocate us a seat together - in hope there might be some "single persons willing to give up their seat??

So yeh, that is all I can do now by the looks of it.

WHY DID I NOT PAY FOR THE EXTREA ROOM KNOWING MY WIFE IS AFFRAID OF FLYING??

My wife is not mentally ill , she simply is scared of hight and would make her feel much safer with me closer to her. Again, why paying for the silly £70 which is peanut to some of you - and we are still siting apart? would you pay it if you would sit apart? surely not!!

my flight is on 20th now, and hoping the seating allocation won't be an issue.
    We plan to be there from 7am and be the first one for the checkin.

Its not peanuts to all of us but when put into context with a holiday costing say £2000 why spoil it by sitting at opposite ends of the plane when paying 3.5% ( £70 ) means you can sit side by side,makes even more sense if one of you is not a flyer.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    secondly, the booking had been done by somebody else (as I was not able to due ...)

the person who did the booking was not the sponsor, he thought that the checking
    can be done at later stage, THOUGH; he confirmed that at the booking stage only a few seats were available for selection and those ones were not adjecent to each other but rather sepeare.
    I hope you've checked your booking details very carefully.

The names on your booking must match those on your passport otherwise you may have problems at check-in.

So - for example - if your name on your passport is Margaret but everyone calls you Peggy (a common diminutive of 'Margaret') and the person who made the booking has put 'Peggy', it's possible that you'll be denied boarding.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Hello all

woww... I see a lot of replies / opinions and even some "angry" comments.
    People, do not simply judge anybody without knowing some other facts.
    Believe me - you got off lightly - should see some previous threads on this subject ;)

His logical thinking was: why paying more when ur not sitting close to each other anyways??
    Well exactly.
    So, then I login to go the onlin checking 6 days before the flight, and boooooooom, error appeared with unable to checkin please go to the desk bla bla bla. When speaking / chating with the online agaent they said that the online checking is limited (of which I was not aware of) and is now closed!!

Eitherway, at the time he said there are only 2 seats but again not adjecent!
    So, I said no I rather will speak to the DESK people ... of which I think might not be worth it.

But yeh, my question here was about whether somebody been through same issues
    and how they overcome this at the airport - or possibly asking the stewardess if they can allocate us a seat together - in hope there might be some "single persons willing to give up their seat??
    Like I said above, on one of our flights the stewards did ask for volunteers to swap seats so a family could sit together, and got a few volunteers and it was sorted. That was for a family, not sure if they'd do it for a couple, but it's worth a try. You can only ask.

Also see this - free yoga for nervous fliers which is supposed to de-stress you!

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/health/stressed-out-by-flying-gatwick-has-introduced-free-preflight-yoga-classes-a3102016.html

Someone I know scared of flying said she found some useful videos on youtube which helped so might be worth a search. She also said it wasn't her husband who helped on the flight, as he wasn't a confident flyer either, it was the woman sat on her other side who was a regular flyer and so completely confident, chatting to her before takeoff really helped her relax.

So if you are separated, she could start up a conversation with the person next to her, in all likelyhood it'll be someone who's flown hundreds of times before and is confident and relaxed, so as above that could help.

Good luck and have a great holiday!
  • BUKI_2
    BUKI_2 Posts: 34 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2017 at 11:19AM
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Don't know where you are flying from, but be aware that IF you are flying from Gatwick and your flight is before 12:00 then you can check in the day before, so you won't be first in the queue at 7am on the day of departure.

Flying from Manchaster 9:55am
    You are right and i just noticed the following "Airport check-in closes at 09:05. You can check in at the airport and drop your bags off the day before this flight between 12:00 noon and 22:00"

great!!!! This implies that check in is done 1 day beforehand and not on the day of travel!!
    How pathetic , though the online agent kept saying to check in on the day when departing!

I am fuming now ...

Pollycat wrote: »
    What time is your flight?

we fly from :
    Manchester MAN (Terminal Two)
    Dep 09:50 - Arr 13:30
    Direct 08hr 40min TOM 118

And yes, we checked the our information and luckyly no errors.
    Just the seating is the one that is causing us the havoc.

By the way, my wife does not speak english (very little) and speaking to next-to person won't do much.
    As Zagles is saying, we hope somebody will be willing to give up their seat up :(
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I just wanted to make sure your expectations are realistic.

I think the key thing now is to try to relax and chill. Accept that you and your wife are not going to be sitting together. You will probably be in aisle seats, and for your wife the further she is from the window the better. If you do end up sitting together then it will be a pleasant surprise. But if you don't, then just relax, have a drink, enjoy the in flight entertainment, and be happy knowing that you are setting off on a fantastic holiday. Be positive. And have a great holiday. I'm jealous!
  • BUKI_2
    BUKI_2 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    NickC

Does the below means that checkins are done during the time 1 day before travel??
    Or is it optional and yet the checkin can be done at the airport as well?/

Airport check-in closes at 09:05. You can check in at the airport and drop your bags off the day before this flight between 12:00 noon and 22:00"

Thanks
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I just wanted to make sure your expectations are realistic.

I think the key thing now is to try to relax and chill. Accept that you and your wife are not going to be sitting together. You will probably be in aisle seats, and for your wife the further she is from the window the better. If you do end up sitting together then it will be a pleasant surprise. But if you don't, then just relax, have a drink, enjoy the in flight entertainment, and be happy knowing that you are setting off on a fantastic holiday. Be positive. And have a great holiday. I'm jealous!
    Also for the vast majority of the flight you won't be confined to your seat, you can get up and walk down the aisle and check on each other, easy if you both end up with aisle seats which looks likely.

I was on a long haul flight once where the bloke next to me in the aisle seat spent almost the entire flight chatting to his mate stood next to him! It was a bit annoying and I offered to swap seats with the guy stood up at one point but he said, "no thanks I'll sit down in a minute" but 2 hours later he was still there!

Obviously you can't do it during takeoff and landing which are likely to be the worst times, but you usually can for the rest of the flight unless there's turbulence when the captain will put the seatbelt signs on.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    NickC

Does the below means that checkins are done during the time 1 day before travel??
    Or is it optional and yet the checkin can be done at the airport as well?/

Airport check-in closes at 09:05. You can check in at the airport and drop your bags off the day before this flight between 12:00 noon and 22:00"

Thanks

You can check in today or tomorrow morning
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    Thomson short haul £30 each return
    Thomson long haul £50 each return

As for the bus fares,here in the NE we can travel a long way for £1.50

I've paid £20 each return Thomson short haul to Corfu in June for seat selection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure