Ending eBay cross promotions

Tried phoning eBay on this one by apparently they're not taking calls at the moment !!!

When I check my listings from one of my other accounts, I have found that my listings contain 6 similar items from other sellers that my potential buyer can purchase from them instead of me !

I know I can turn this off, but I'm struggling to find out how

Can anyone help please ?
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D

Comments

• charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Finally found it. It's in marketing tools under cross promotion

I'm switching it off, it's hard enough getting sales without sending potential buyers elsewhere.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Finally found it. It's in marketing tools under cross promotion

I'm switching it off, it's hard enough getting sales without sending potential buyers elsewhere.

If I get a moment i'll go and have a look at mine as well, thank you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • charlies_mum
    soolin wrote: »
    If I get a moment i'll go and have a look at mine as well, thank you.

Think it must default to enable as I've had to switch it off on all my accounts

I hadn't even realised it was there until I read something on the community boards. It's ok if you are selling something unique as it can't find anything, but for anything else it suggests alternatives within your listing !
  • soolin
    Think it must default to enable as I've had to switch it off on all my accounts

I hadn't even realised it was there until I read something on the community boards. It's ok if you are selling something unique as it can't find anything, but for anything else it suggests alternatives within your listing !

I've turned mine off, it has to be worth a try. My shop though will be switched off entirely in a couple of days , so I intend to give it a month after I get back from holiday and see how it compares. It can't be any worse.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • busybee100
    busybee100 Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

When I check my listings from one of my other accounts, I have found that my listings contain 6 similar items from other sellers that my potential buyer can purchase from them instead of me !

Hi
    Does anyone know if this only applies to business sellers? I went to turn mine off but it says:

Having eBay cross-promote your items is a great way to increase your sales. When a buyer shows interest in one of your items (such as by placing a bid), eBay will display your other items to the buyer. Note: Other sellers' items will not be cross-promoted in your listings.
  • charlies_mum
    busybee100 wrote: »
    Hi
    Does anyone know if this only applies to business sellers? I went to turn mine off but it says:

Having eBay cross-promote your items is a great way to increase your sales. When a buyer shows interest in one of your items (such as by placing a bid), eBay will display your other items to the buyer. Note: Other sellers' items will not be cross-promoted in your listings.

Hi, I don't have a private account so not sure if you have Marketing Tools. If you do it's on the left hand side of your selling page under Selling Manager. Click on that and then under item promotion is the Cross Promotion option. Click that and edit to stop cross promotion.
  • soolin
    It's only been a day or two since I switched mine off and with ebay being really erratic for sales it is always difficult to compare week on week, but I am showing a small but noticeable increase in sales.

I'm on a group, not a large one, with predominantly US sellers, they sell mainly 'remaindered' type items and I joined by accident as that isn't my line at all- they seem to all be doing very well, some of the sales they report are almost unbelievable to us UK sellers, to the extent that within a few months of starting more than a few have started to consider going full time ebay rather than doing it alongside their main job. It feels like a whole new site and not at all what we seem to be experiencing here. I did wonder if it is just the usual pattern that we only post when things are bad, but the community boards seem particularly full of sometimes very large sellers who are seeing their sales continually decline.
  • busybee100
    busybee100 Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi, I don't have a private account so not sure if you have Marketing Tools. If you do it's on the left hand side of your selling page under Selling Manager. Click on that and then under item promotion is the Cross Promotion option. Click that and edit to stop cross promotion.

Hi
    Yes there is marketing tools on a private account, it's where I found the above message explaining what cross promotion is/does. I guess it must do different things on a business account. Thank you anyway for pointing it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure