Judgement by Admission

Options
Can anyone explain to me what a judgement by admission is?

Capital One - Lowell Solicitors sent me and letter of action (CCJ letter) so I set up a payment plan within the time allotted so I didn't get said CCJ. Now they are saying that they have issued a judgement by admission - is this a CCJ or is this just something to confuse and just means it's a payment plan?

TIA

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 March 2017 at 11:37PM
    Options
    You should always read very carefully any letters of that nature a creditor may send you.

Have you had a claim form ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • CharlotteElizabeth
    CharlotteElizabeth Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 March 2017 at 1:03PM
    Options
    I am tempted to pay the full debt on my credit card (35% interest) because they have said that if I pay it off in a month (debt is over £1000) then I don't get the CCJ and I have effectively have 3 weeks to pay - I don't use my credit card normally (only for odds and sods) so I don't rely on it to get me through the month and I have become a lot better with paying things off and my credit limit has just gone up and now I'm a 'Gold' member with Vanquis. Normally balance is paid in full every month.

I have been doing extra work at work and making a couple hundred quid for that each month (but getting battered on income tax so not seeing the full benefit) and just got a tax rebate for £100 so I think it won't take me the full year to pay the credit card off.

Is it in my favour to pay the whole thing off and avoid a CCJ but then have to pay a high interest rate credit card off in return? I want to move house soon but nowhere will accept with a CCJ without a guarantor which I don't have
  • sourcrates
    Options
    I am tempted to pay the full debt on my credit card (35% interest) because they have said that if I pay it off in a month (debt is over £1000) then I don't get the CCJ and I have effectively have 3 weeks to pay - I don't use my credit card normally (only for odds and sods) so I don't rely on it to get me through the month and I have become a lot better with paying things off and my credit limit has just gone up and now I'm a 'Gold' member with Vanquis. Normally balance is paid in full every month.

I have been doing extra work at work and making a couple hundred quid for that each month (but getting battered on income tax so not seeing the full benefit) and just got a tax rebate for £100 so I think it won't take me the full year to pay the credit card off.

Is it in my favour to pay the whole thing off and avoid a CCJ but then have to pay a high interest rate credit card off in return? I want to move house soon but nowhere will accept with a CCJ without a guarantor which I don't have

They wont accept a credit card in payment of a normal debt, so i doubt they will for a court judgement.

Its not settling the debt is it, its just passing it to someone else.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • CharlotteElizabeth
    Options
    When I spoke to Lowell on the phone before, they didn't have an objection to me paying on a credit card because I discussed with them the possibility of doing so. I have just checked on their payment portal and they accept Visa and Visa Debit.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    When I spoke to Lowell on the phone before, they didn't have an objection to me paying on a credit card because I discussed with them the possibility of doing so. I have just checked on their payment portal and they accept Visa and Visa Debit.

I stand corrected then !!

As I said, no morals when it comes to money these people.
  • CharlotteElizabeth
    Options
    If I can afford the payments is it best in the long run to pay on credit rather than get a CCJ? I'm a lot more mature now with money and want free from the debt!
  • sourcrates
    Options
    If I can afford the payments is it best in the long run to pay on credit rather than get a CCJ? I'm a lot more mature now with money and want free from the debt!

Its entirely up to you, if a CCJ would impact you, say in your job, then it might make sense to put it on the card.

If on the other hand, it would not impact you directly, then it may be best to agree an affordable repayment plan with Lowell.

Your choice in the end.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Can anyone explain to me what a judgement by admission is?

Capital One - Lowell Solicitors sent me and letter of action (CCJ letter) so I set up a payment plan within the time allotted so I didn't get said CCJ. Now they are saying that they have issued a judgement by admission - is this a CCJ or is this just something to confuse and just means it's a payment plan?

Lowells cannot 'issue' a CCJ. Only a court can.

You don't explain what letters and paperwork you received or replied to.

If you received a claim form from the court and admitted the claim and with an offer to pay, or did not respond, then yes, you can automatically get the CCJ awarded against you.

If all you have had is a 'letter before claim' from Lowell themselves, then unless they have done something else sneaky like asking the court to issue the claim form to an old address, then you don't get a CCJ without the court being involved and you having a change to respond at that stage.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure