MSE News: Apple's new way to spread the cost of an iPhone 7 for zero interest

Comments

• GTR_King
    GTR_King Posts: 1,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 11 September 2016 at 11:48AM
    I think this is a good idea but if you add a sim only deal to that you will paying way more than a contract deal. But can you keep phone after or do you have to upgrade every 12 months
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    There are two deals.

1) Just buy phone 0% interest

2) Buy phone, but have the option to upgrade if you wish. (but you give the old phone bacK)
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Buy a £100 phone, and stop being a dik
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I saw this on the Apple website & thought it looked good, new iPhone on 0% finance over 20 months, that would be great.
    Then I saw the catch, AppleCare insurance at £119 pa is included in the cost, fine if you want it, but the 0% isn't available without it as far as I can see.

There are two options
    20 months 0% finance without AppleCare
    Upgrade plan of 20 months with AppleCare and the option to return the phone after 11 payments for the new model.
  • iainscomputer
    iainscomputer Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 September 2016 at 5:43PM
    buglawton wrote: »
    I had a quick look at the MSE description of the deal and it's confusing. Perhaps ianscomputer can explain. Anyway I see the deal's being picked to pieces in the comments below the MSE article.
    I hope people never assume, 'because it's on MSE, it's a deal'.

As far as I can see from the Apple site to get the phone on 0% you have to buy the AppleCare, but on MSE it does have a table which is 0% free without the AppleCare included, I think the MSE team has just made a small error.
    I went through the purchase process & when choosing finance the only option is the 14.9% offer. The 20 month upgrade offer is 0% but you have to buy the AppleCare insurance at £119 to purchase that.
    I would quite like to buy a 6s or 7, but really only want the interest free option, so if anyone can find it, it would be great.
  • As far as I can see from the Apple site to get the phone on 0% you have to buy the AppleCare, but on MSE it does have a table which is 0% free without the AppleCare included, I think the MSE team has just made a small error.
    I went through the purchase process & when choosing finance the only option is the 14.9% offer. The 20 month upgrade offer is 0% but you have to buy the AppleCare insurance at £119 to purchase that.
    I would quite like to buy a 6s or 7, but really only want the interest free option, so if anyone can find it, it would be great.
    You won't get the interest free option on the 6s.
  • mrochester
    mrochester Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    There is only one deal here. It's a 20 month 0% interest deal. AppleCare is included at no additional cost.

You can either make 20 months worth of payments and the phone is yours at the end of the payment plan. Alternatively, you can make 11 months worth of payments after which you can decide to upgrade to the new iPhone at which point you pay another £49 one off payment and commit to a further 20 months worth of payments. You give back your old iPhone.
  • Sneaker
    Sneaker Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I tried this on Friday, my appointment was 8:30, I got to a person at 9:15 and started the process. He told me that the whole of Apple was having problems with Barclays with the payments, but we would go for it and it would take a little longer than normal. Throughout the process I was getting emails with welcome packs and passwords. At 12:30 – yes 12:30 I had to give up and just paid on credit card. As I said that the Apple guy said oh it’s actually just come back as declined. Anyone know why I received 22 emails with the info, and if the process has left 22 or more searches? I also never got an email declining me some I’m very confused and would have loved the 0%
  • I tried to obtain the Iphone 7 on the apple care and upgrade program. I do a lot of business so am always obtaining / opening some kind of / credit / accounts / borrowing and so understand that personal details or answers do not necessarily need to be 100% so on the hop in the apple store i gave my answers as best i could.... the result the application was declined, I am never declined! Instantly the Apple sales person informed me i could still buy the phone outright and did i want to, wafting the phone in front of my face.

So i thought... let me check my Experien report, i have a monthly subscription, get all the answers and details correct and come back in a couple of days. Experian reported back the usual mega high score no missed payments, all accounts upto date, no car finance, few hundred pounds on credit cards that get cleared every other month.

A couple of days later, different email, different mobile, different bank card this time using my barclays cash card with thousands in the account and i was still DECLINED!!

Like a flash back to the previous decline the sales person instantly repeats word for word that i could buy the phone outright.... Now i think this stinks, apple staff have 100% had some kind of training to not give the customer time to think about the decline and push buying the phone there and then. Additionally I cannot believe I have been declined for such a small amount of credit!

I find it bizarre that the product i.e the Iphone is removed from their store room which takes the staff a few minutes to organise and place in front of you, only then the credit application is done...Apple staff claim this is so they can scan the phone's barcode 1st but again it just stinks!

I'm angry that my 2yr old Iphone only lasts 6 - 12 hours and i need a new one, i'm angry i have wasted so much time parking in town and visiting their store, i'm angry this is best option, i'm angry i'm running around like an apple fan boy still with no phone!

I doubt it but i do wonder if there is a joint strategy between apple and barclays to decline those that can pay for the phone outright, myself, but accept those that cant and need to finance it.

Can anybody else shed any light or had a bad experience? :money:
  • mrochester
    mrochester Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    If you're always taking out new credit products, this can look quite suspicious to some lenders as it could be a sign that you are financing credit with other credit. Given you otherwise have a good credit history, I would suggest it's this aspect that is preventing you from getting any credit from Barclays.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure