Vodafone shares - any good?

Comments

• atush
    atush Posts: 18,719
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    cos wrote: »
    I bought into Vodafone a year or so ago and today am 6.5% down on share price. Got a reasonable divi this year. However, past performance etc . . . :)

I got them in the early 2000's as a growth share (didn't pay a divi then I dont think?) and they are now obv one of my income stream ones as they have switched from one part of my portfolio to another.

The problem you find is when you are looking for income and buy now, you do have short term volatility. So hold your nerves. They should come good.

my individual income shares incl Vod, Glaxo, Shell, United Util, Aviva. But I didn't buy Vod and Aviva as income shares originally.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Looks like a campaign starting to reverse Vodaphone's price increase (follow the link to you tube and interest expressed by the BBC): http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/nov/09/vodafone-savings-call-away
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ifts wrote: »
    As an example a little while back on here I was drawn to the attention of N Brown (BWNG) by fellow poster 'gadgetmind', after looking into it I liked what I saw and decided to buy some, got in at 259p which is now showing a 34% increase.

Glad it worked for you and also glad you did your own research.

My wife holds BWNG as part of a 25 share portfolio as diversity is key across both companies and sectors.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • mania112
    mania112 Posts: 1,981
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have a friend who works at their HQ.

Vodafone are offering a load of people redundancy, and closing 'R&D-type' departments - not good signs.
  • srcandas
    srcandas Posts: 1,241
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mania112 wrote: »

Vodafone are offering a load of people redundancy, and closing 'R&D-type' departments - not good signs.

Cutting non mainstream activities could boost profits?

I assume they already buy in most of the technology and work with partners so I'm not too sure that cutting costs in the current marketplace is not a very smart move :cool:
    I believe past performance is a good guide to future performance :beer:
  • gozomark
    gozomark Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    mania112 wrote: »

not good signs for the employees concerned, but for the share price ??
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,250
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Must admit have slightly gone off the idea now - perhaps I should start looking elsewhere. I bought Game Group just a couple of months before they went bust, so certainly don't want to repeat the experience:eek:

I just want something that is safe as houses, not too expensive and pays a really good dividend;) Not asking for much am I???:D
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• mania112
    Forumite
    gozomark wrote: »
    not good signs for the employees concerned, but for the share price ??

The fact they're cutting back on R&D is a bad sign for future profits.

I don't have any more details than that on Vodafone, just my two penny's worth.

Edit: I also know Vodafone and O2 are a step or 2 behind TMobile and Orange (owned by EE) when it comes to 4G
  • mania112
    Forumite
    melbury wrote: »
    Must admit have slightly gone off the idea now - perhaps I should start looking elsewhere. I bought Game Group just a couple of months before they went bust, so certainly don't want to repeat the experience:eek:

I just want something that is safe as houses, not too expensive and pays a really good dividend;) Not asking for much am I???:D

Well yes, you shouldn't be directly investing in shares if you want guaranteed results. Although still not guaranteed, why not leave the headaches of picking stocks by investing in a collective?
  • srcandas
    srcandas Posts: 1,241
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Interesting how things change rapidly. As we discuss Vodafone has:
    • addressed the disaster that is Spain (and Italy a slightly lesser disaster I think) by writing off value
    • demonstrated how it works with partners with a £2.4 billion dividend from Verizon Wireless (it owns 45%).
    • the intention to buy back shares with some of this money.

and the share price at £1.61 looks cheap to me and we may well see a buying opportunity below £1.50 as markets panic over Greece and Spain.

Thanks OP you may have led me to an opportunity :beer:
    I believe past performance is a good guide to future performance :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family