Renault Scenic losing power problem

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help.

I drive a 2002 Renault Scenic 1.9dci. Recently my accelerator cable broke and the AA have fixed it temporary. I drove it for a couple of weeks like this and a couple of times something happened, where I was fully pressing my accelerator but the revs only moved to 1800 and I was only able to drive it like 20mph. After a short while everything was fine.

Last week a friend of mine replaced the cable (also disconnected the battery to replace the reverse switch). Ever since it has gone from bad to worse. The above situation still happenes where I am flooring it but only getting under 2000 revs. But in addition I get a lot of misfiring, choking, when I accelerate I hear (what my friend described as when not all cylinders are working properly etc)….

We connected the fault reader but nothing came up but was unable to get the live data. The orange light came up which said something like electric / fan fault?? but only comes up when engine is struggling e.g. going up the hill??

It seems to be working better when driving faster e.g. when th turbo kicks in, but still not right… Any idea anyone PLEASE????

Comments

• Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    When was the last time it had a service? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Is there a lot of black smoke coming out the back?
  • it was checked last year. i will do it again though... worth a try!!
  • it was checked last year but not serviced, so when was it serviced? your not one of those who expect a car to run forever without lifting the bonnet are you! lol.

depending on engine as you have the 2002 1.9 dci on change over year.

this symptom is common of high pressurefuel pump or injector failure to the 1.9 DCI 2003-2008 if you.

symptoms are:

engine management light coming on and message on display injector fault (if you have the ODB2 diganostic read out display where your radio station is displayed) or if no read out message you will need a renault "CLIP" fault code reader (around £300) to obtain manufacturers specific code, or go to renault for the fault code read at around £60-£80.

start up from cold is hard after glow plug heater light out finding yourself looking for the diesel primer head to push the plunger in a few times to get going.

0-30 MPH is sluggish, engine misses or backfires and smoke is plumed out the exhaust engine management light (the orange light shaped like an engine) kicks on stays on and revs go no further than 3000rpm max due to engine in limp mode.

idle is rough, unsteady and revs bounce about 700-1000 RPM even when engine is warm.

cause 1. highpressure pump has failed, the internals have probably gone into fragments and are now blocking the injectors.

cause 2.injector failure a common prblem on 1.9 2.0 DCI renault engines, depending on what type of fuel pump you have a fly by wire or a mechanical high pressure pump, the injectors go down either as a single or as a pair 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 injectors, injectors are coded to the cars ecu and cannot be changed without the new injectors being programed.

cause 3. the cheapest, idle speed control, egr valve blocked, catalytic converter failed, lambda sensor failed, thorttle positione sensor failed.

either way you if your garage cannot access the live read in the ecu, or read any of the codes with a good expensive fault code reader renault would be the next step in diagnosis.
  • Thanks very much!!! looks like you are spot on!! i will get my mechanic to have a look. And i do actually look after my cars!!! I only bough this one 6 months ago and apparently according to papers it was serviced last January, and i was planning to get it serviced in the next couple of weeks before the MOT in Jan.

:) Thank you for all your help!!!
  • alir!!!2 wrote: »
    Thanks very much!!! looks like you are spot on!! i will get my mechanic to have a look. And i do actually look after my cars!!! I only bough this one 6 months ago and apparently according to papers it was serviced last January, and i was planning to get it serviced in the next couple of weeks before the MOT in Jan.

:) Thank you for all your help!!!

your second post read as you had just had it checked, nothing actioned within that check. do appologise.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-. MASSIVE thank you!! it was he EGR Valve.. Thank you for all your advice!!!
  • awee was just about to say it was egr valve and you allready solved it lol. i had exact same prob last year with an 1.9dci. orange light and low power up hill etc .
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Yep, EGR valve, they gunk up on this engine, you can scrape them out and wash them in petrol to clean them and re-fit, they are a nightmare on this engine.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • alirob12
    alirob12 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thanks :) yes excatly that!! it was so annoying and i was worried that it would be expensive but thankfully thanks to nice people on here i got help and my mate fixed it!!

thanks
  • alirob12
    alirob12 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 February 2012 at 5:57PM
    hello... unfortunately i have started having the same problem - but its only the idle state where i get about 2500revs for a while - it doesnt happen very often but nevertheless it happens. I thought t was the egr, but this morning i replaced it with a newer 2nd hand but it it happened again - so i dont think its the egr. the orange fan light came on... im planning on changing the fuel filter as my next thing - any suggestions what else to look at? thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure