PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Homemade Christmas

Options

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Girlsmum, I also have to gift a 20 yo and a 15 yo. Last year I compiled a lot of snacks and a pair of slipper socks, decorated a cardboard box with old film negatives and pics from internet, and called it a film night hamper. I even got some 'ice cream cones' made of wafer and mashmallow. They seemed delighted. Well it made a change from a pre-pack of 'smellies'!

This year I am thinking about buying a couple of 'designer' birthday cards and framing them, anything related to the latest films - have done a Marvel one, painted matching colour on the cheap frame to highlight and looks pretty good and is probably unique?

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i always made homemade shortbread Christmas trees for my Mum's Christmas stocking (well for the last 10 years). Hubby has decided that this year I will make it for everyone's stocking!!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • Kinski
    Kinski Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Brilliant thread, I hope I'll be able to pick up a few ideas.
    I've just started to make paper flowers which I'm hoping to turn into bouquets for some of my grandbrats teachers, depending on how many I make some family members might be getting them as well. This is the flower I've been making http://www.capitolromance.com/2011/09/21/diy-how-to-origami-paper-flower-bouquet/ and hopefully this is a picture of the first one I made [IMG][/img]03B1CE07-09B9-4D6E-A031-6E2CF29854B8_zps4chdbakn.jpg
    I bought the paper/card from hobbycraft but poundland have a large pad of coloured paper that works just as well, they also have things to put in the middle to finish it of or you can put buttons in the middle.
  • vodkawitch1
    vodkawitch1 Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    Options
    Kinski love the flower well done it looks very professional :)

I have have just make a dolls pram set out of a colourful pillowcase, so that another little pressie done.
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I saw these in Superdrug today:

zoomImages?galleryPosition=0

[STRIKE]£10[/STRIKE] £9 - too expensive
    Bath bombs - wouldn't ever use them
    But they do look very attractive. It occurred to me that it wouldn't cost a fortune to present HM truffles this way.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 8 November 2015 at 8:27PM
    Options
    This thread has inspired me to make some things for this year.

So i've just dried out some orange slices in the oven, and some foliage. These will be used on the mantelpiece probably. (I already have lots of flowers from drying them during the summer).

I'm on holiday this week and have a stupid amount of things to get done, but i'm determined to make some time for making stuff.

I don't really need to buy anything decoration wise as have lots from years of collecting. However will add more home made things this year.

I always make the door decoration, not sure what i'll be doing this year for it, last year it was made from foliage and dried flowers from the garden. However, I live in a wind tunnel (coast)...and it got blown to bits. :eek: and didn't look very good by the end. ....:o.

I seem to remember my grandmother making lots of balls out of foil and threading them with a needle and thread, then foiling over the thread. I always loved it as a kid, but I don't know where it went to. It didn't find it's way to me as I snaffled all the old Dec's no-one wanted, so must have been thrown out years ago.

I have boxes of old jewellery, so I might pimp some of the stuff I already have, i'm always spraying them and tarting them up.

If I get time, I might make some table decorations for pressies, I have mountains of stuff, so it wouldn't cost much.

I'm quite xmassy now.....:T.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You have inspired me, Calicoat.

I shall head towards Epping Forest to pick holly at the beginning of next month.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I wanted to go on a course to make Christmas wreaths but it was fully booked - So YouTube came to the rescue! now I cant decide which of the beautiful wreaths to make!
    I also found some 'Wooden Heart' plaques in Poundstrecher at 2 for £3, they do have nice little phrases on them - but, I have other plans for them! I am going to upload and print out my grandkids photos, put them in small frames in the middle of the hearts and either hot glue fabric flowers around or - and this is risky - I have been learning 'one stroke flower painting techniques' from YouTube, and think I have some mastered. and will give them to DD and DILs. if its a success, I will post some pics.
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I was in the shops today with a friend, and to be honest, I didn't see anything xmas related that I wanted to buy. I was only in cheap shops today, but nothing worth even pimping to be honest.

I think i'll get some star fruit to dry out at that's a handy shape for xmas...:D. Other than this, I think I shall be heading into the woods this year and using my spray paints.

Where I live they go all out for outside Dec's, which aren't really my thing, but I will say it does make for a lovely xmassy atmosphere driving through it all. So, I now have a love/hate thing with them....but when I was a kid I always got a big tree branch to spray and stand in my bedroom decorated. I might go a hunting this year for one of those, shove in bucket with sand and stones and put some lights on it. Bobs-your-uncle........free outside xmas tree.....:T.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • PixieDust
    PixieDust Posts: 944 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I am loving this thread :D

Could someone give a bit of a "how to" on drying out fruit slices please.......mine either shrivel up or go mouldy or disintegrate and I would love to hang dried orange slices on the tree this year.

How thin/thick to slice?
    Best way to dry?
    If in oven how long for? What temperature?

Thank you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport