PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Management pack - First I've heard of it?

Comments

• economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    That's exactly what seems to be happening, the first thing the seller knows about these fees is when they are near completion and obviously don't want to rock the boat and lose the sale so the fees are paid.

I'm not thinking if moving just yet so would like answers before I start the process and need to know their plans and fees for the coming years.

I have also heard it mentioned that the management company is owned and run by the house builder, this is unsubstantiated but would be very interesting if found out to be true.

you are very likely wasting your time with all this. did you understand what i wrote in my posts?

management company being run by the house builder - nothing wrong with that and would be surprised if in any way this was illegal.

the fact is the system is not fair for people like you. but there is nothing you can do about. either suck up to the fees when you sell or be stuck with your home! or even wait for stricter regulation in favour of people like you (but you maybe waiting a very long time!)
  • economic wrote: »
    you are very likely wasting your time with all this. did you understand what i wrote in my posts?

management company being run by the house builder - nothing wrong with that and would be surprised if in any way this was illegal.

the fact is the system is not fair for people like you. but there is nothing you can do about. either suck up to the fees when you sell or be stuck with your home! or even wait for stricter regulation in favour of people like you (but you maybe waiting a very long time!)

If things aren't challenged we will get ripped off more and more as time goes on, I might well be wasting my time but all I'm asking is a bit of documentation to back things up.

I didn't say there was anything illegal about them being one and the same, obviously a nationwide house builder would be far smarter than to do anything illegal but for the house builders company solicitor to claim it's nothing to do with them and say they know nothing about it doesn't ring true somehow.

One possibility would be to set up a residents committee instead of having a management company so we can cut our own grass, weed our flower beds, pay our insurance and produce our own management packs and not be ripped off by these company's.
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    If things aren't challenged we will get ripped off more and more as time goes on, I might well be wasting my time but all I'm asking is a bit of documentation to back things up.

I didn't say there was anything illegal about them being one and the same, obviously a nationwide house builder would be far smarter than to do anything illegal but for the house builders company solicitor to claim it's nothing to do with them and say they know nothing about it doesn't ring true somehow.

One possibility would be to set up a residents committee instead of having a management company so we can cut our own grass, weed our flower beds, pay our insurance and produce our own management packs and not be ripped off by these company's.

if you have enough leaseholders then you could try right to manage. or even better to buy the freehold via collective enfranchisement (but this will cost a lot more).
  • economic wrote: »
    if you have enough leaseholders then you could try right to manage. or even better to buy the freehold via collective enfranchisement (but this will cost a lot more).

Many thanks for your replies, got a few neighbours onboard so will see what's possible.
  • Who is your management company?

We had RMG in our site for a few years and the words, coy and boys couldn't be more apt for these scum!

In the end we ended up taking over from them as we became too much hard work for them to manage (fancy that, expecting a service for the money they were charging us!!).

When we went through the charges they were passing on to is we had things like £1,200 a year for cleaning 7 windows once a month and so on!!!

So perhaps there is scope here for you guys to take over yourselves eh?

Happy to talk off line with you about this.

Regards

Mailman
  • mailmannz wrote: »
    Who is your management company?

We had RMG in our site for a few years and the words, coy and boys couldn't be more apt for these scum!

In the end we ended up taking over from them as we became too much hard work for them to manage (fancy that, expecting a service for the money they were charging us!!).

When we went through the charges they were passing on to is we had things like £1,200 a year for cleaning 7 windows once a month and so on!!!

So perhaps there is scope here for you guys to take over yourselves eh?

Happy to talk off line with you about this.

Regards

Mailman

Not going to name and shame them publicly just yet, it has been a struggle to get them to do what they are paid to do but a new company has been set on to cut the grass etc and they do seem to be better.
    My issues are with management company, hopefully we can get rid of them and do it among ourselves.
    Will drop you a PM if needed once we get the ball rolling, thankyou.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    economic wrote: »
    or even better to buy the freehold via collective enfranchisement (but this will cost a lot more).
    Looks like you've missed the fact that they ALREADY own the freehold. There's no lease involved here. And apparently there's no covenants requiring them to pay service charges either. Looks like this management company have been having a whale of a time collecting money they're not actually owed for doing a job they're not actually required to do!
  • Am I the only one that finds it more than a little coincidental that the timing of this charge you never agreed to/isnt down anywhere in writing is = when you're on the verge of selling.

Hence I'm wondering if they pull this stunt deliberately at just the point at which someone thinks "Agh - mustnt do anything to jeopardise my sale I'm on the point of" and "Why do anything to rock the boat now and set up our own committee - I'm going to be gone soon personally" and hence they get away with it:cool:

Sounds like they are deliberately using a would-be buyers' solicitors requests for a "management pack" against vendors doing anything other than cough up for a basically non-existent charge.
  • Am I the only one that finds it more than a little coincidental that the timing of this charge you never agreed to/isnt down anywhere in writing is = when you're on the verge of selling.

Hence I'm wondering if they pull this stunt deliberately at just the point at which someone thinks "Agh - mustnt do anything to jeopardise my sale I'm on the point of" and "Why do anything to rock the boat now and set up our own committee - I'm going to be gone soon personally" and hence they get away with it:cool:

Sounds like they are deliberately using a would-be buyers' solicitors requests for a "management pack" against vendors doing anything other than cough up for a basically non-existent charge.

Went and knocked on the door of a neighbour last night who has just had sold sign put in her garden, again they knew nothing of the fees and at first said "no chance, won't be paying it" then they realised if they don't it will jeopardise the sale, they are going to keep me informed on future developments.

I know a few on here have told me it's quite normal but unless you are in that line of business or it's happened to them it seems nobody knows anything about it.

Day 3 of waiting for comment from management company has passed:mad:

• Day 3 of waiting for comment from management company has passed:mad:

Seems to confirm my cynical opinion about their timing on this:cool:.

They know blimmin' well just how much pressure many buyers put on vendors to get to Completion asap. Hence I bet there is a bit of deliberate delay going on here (oh whoops make that "Honest yer honour we wuz ever so busy with whatever-else-we-can-think-of and that's why you've had no response from us yet").:cool::cool::cool::cool:

I think they may have bitten off more than they can chew with you:rotfl:. Do keep us posted:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure