Vacuum toilet

I'm going to refurb my bathroom soon and was looking was looking at a new toilet with a better flush. Our current one is a modern 6 gallon waste of space that has trouble flushing a single piece of tissue.

I've seen you can install pressure assisted and vacuum toilets, pressure assisted being the louder of the two, I'd want a vacuum one. The question is, where the hell can you buy them retail? I get that they're relatively new but for the benefits of low water use and much better 'waste clearance' I thought it would be much easier.
Googling "buy vacuum toilet uk" gets me a few places that seem to sell commercially in bulk orders and they don't give prices.

Does anyone have one or knows where to buy?

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would have thought a six gallon flush would have shifted an elephant.

That's a lot of water.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    It's astonishing in the 21st century how many toilets don't do the one thing they're made for. The new loos at work need 2, 3, sometimes 4 flushes. (But it's okay because they save water . . .) Anyway be interested to learn about these as they seem to work well on aeroplanes.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 8 July 2017 at 4:48PM
    Anyway be interested to learn about these as they seem to work well on aeroplanes.

Airplanes operate at altitude and the cabin is (usually) pressurised - This assists in removing the waste in the bowl.

A high level cistern has a better flush performance in my opinion than close coupled cisterns.

Came across this supplier - http://www.waterlesstoilets.co.uk/toilets/ - Has prices for their various products.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Gti
    Gti Posts: 52 Forumite
    I would have thought a six gallon flush would have shifted an elephant.

That's a lot of water.

You got me :D. I'd take the hefty water bill over the 6 litre rubbish I have now.

Those waterless toilets are designed for composting on boats and such, hence the price as well.
    https://www.leesan.com/shop/all-toilets/vacuum-toilets the price is more reasonable here, again with boating in mind. They seem to have a seperate vacuum generator unit when for the home you want an all in one toilet like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoIpjFkRk8c

With so many people complaining about modern toilets I don't know why vacuum and pressure assisted ones haven't become more commonplace.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    FreeBear wrote: »
    A high level cistern has a better flush performance in my opinion than close coupled cisterns.

Yes it's ridiculous: toilets are now worse than they were 100 years ago! Bet Arthur C. Clarke didn't predict that when he wrote 2010...
  • Hi,

I'm buying a house & need to replace the bathroom so was thinking much along the same lines as you were. Did you get anywhere in your quest for the vacuum loo & if so, which one did you get?

Thanks
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I find that the bowl shape has more to do with flush success than water volume.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,975 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is an old thread but, I fitted a waterless toilet in our static caravan.

It is very good. Better in some ways than a conventional loo. However, I'm going to stick with the conventional flushing type in my house.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,872 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes it's ridiculous: toilets are now worse than they were 100 years ago! Bet Arthur C. Clarke didn't predict that when he wrote 2010...

In 2014 60% of adults in England were classified as overweight, that might have something to do with the problem, people eat more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure