PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Council House Purchase - help

Comments

• The value of the house isn't relevant; what's important is that your mum has a secure tenancy and doesn't have to worry about maintenance costs. There is a lot to be said for that peace of mind when you're on a low income. You can't guarantee that the mortgage will always be lower than the current rent, especially given the financial uncertainty facing the country.

She doesn't have to worry about any of the costs as I can cover them all. Mortgage would only be about 7/8 years. you can sell after 5 (make a big profit) in worst case scenario
    ‘It ain’t over 'til it's over’
  • Barejester wrote: »
    Hi Charlesworth82, as to your specific question yes you'll attract the tax and fees associated with a second property if your interest in the property is greater than £40,000

it will actually be less than 40k she would pay - any idea of the tax/fees etc. associated with less than>?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No - she covers it all herself.

On a part time wage? Must be quite a well-paid job.
  • Mojisola wrote: »
    On a part time wage? Must be quite a well-paid job.

I think council rent is only around 350
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    She doesn't have to worry about any of the costs as I can cover them all. Mortgage would only be about 7/8 years. you can sell after 5 (make a big profit) in worst case scenario

What if you lose your job, or, God forbid become ill, disabled or even die? It does happen.

You're thinking about money as the only kind if value, but a home you can stay in forever, guaranteed to be affordable, where you can claim housing benefit if you can't pay, where you don't have to worry about maintenance, and where you will be rehoused to something more suitable if you become frail or have special requirements in the future, is incredibly valuable and shouldn't be thrown away just in order to leave an inheritance.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Mortgage would only be about 7/8 years. you can sell after 5 (make a big profit) in worst case scenario
    Ahh. I see.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Ahh. I see.

Depressing, isn't it?
  • Barejester
    Barejester Posts: 27 Forumite
    it will actually be less than 40k she would pay - any idea of the tax/fees etc. associated with less than>?

I'm not completely up on the details and someone much more knowledgeable than me would come along and explain I'm sure. If your share of the property is less than £40,000 you will not have to pay the additional Stamp Duty, however between you you'll still have legal/survey/mortgage fee's which you can get quotes for.

I wanted to weigh in more on the consideration of looking at the whole picture and your Mum should consider what would be the best benefit for her in the long run - right now she has a home for life, if she pursues this she'll have an asset that she may or may not be able to afford to upkeep.

This however makes it seem like you're looking at this as a potential cash cow for your own gain and you're looking at a way to use your Mum's discount for profit/additional property, I apologise if that's a mischaracterisation.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Depressing, isn't it?

and yet inevitable
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • its an attractive proposition, but there are real risks as identified.

i dont think you should decide on the potential profit you can make in say 5 years.....your mum will need somewhere to live and the secured tenancy that's currently offered at a reasonable rent is very reassuring.

mortgage rates may very well increase but the risk is mitigated by the term time of the mortgage you suggest.

if you mum is set on it, i'd do it but please dont think about any financial gain
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure