No tv licence. Need monitor for dvd player use.

dadsarmy1
dadsarmy1 Posts: 51 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
About 14 years ago a TV engineer removed the tuners from a couple of CRT televisions so that they could only function as monitors. I am thinking I need another monitor for DVD use only. I guess it is inpractical to remove tuners or freevew from a modern led TV? I know nothing of freeview and modern televisions and wonder if Freeview will continually and automatically search for a TV signal - which is not what I want. Perhaps even Freeview will stop the DVD from playing if it is not tuned in? Any advice much appreciated thank you.

Comments

• Icecannon
    Icecannon Posts: 93 Forumite
    A tv will be fine, as long as you don't have an Ariel plugged in, you won't be able to watch live tv.

You only need a licence to watch live tv as it is shown or iplayer, or if you record live tv.
    Watching catch-up tv is fine (as said not iplayer tho)
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Most will only try to search at the initial set up. You'' be using an HDMI / scart input, so won't be affected by the freeview tuner
  • d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I used to use a TV for playing my PS3 only. What I did was detune the TV (it had auto setup as soon as it powered on), so I deleted every channel. This was an older TV so I had to do the same for both analog and digital channels.

Any TV inspectors will immediately find you can't view any channels because it's not tuned in.
  • TV license inspectors can't come in your home without a warrant anyway so don't worry about it.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ... or if you decide to let the inspectors in - which you don't have to if you don't want to.

And never, ever, sign any bit of paper they thrust at you, whatever they claim it is for.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If it insists on tuning itself in, a shorted aerial plug in the aerial socket should stop it picking anything up.

You can also get tuner-less monitors intended for CCTV use.
    https://www.cctvshopper.co.uk/products.asp?catID=297
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It doesn't matter whether it's tuned or not.
    All that matters is what you do with it.
    Don't plug it in to an aerial is the best advice.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Don't ever let anyone claiming to be a license inspector into your house. And stop worrying about your TV equipment, just buy a monitor, plug it in and watch your DVD's.
  • dadsarmy1
    dadsarmy1 Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you for some useful advice so far. I have tried looking online for a solution and looked into cctv monitors however there was evidence that a prerecorded DVD would not play very well on it. I am hoping that perhaps an MSE member who uses a freeview tv for dvd use only may be able to give additional advice. After 14 years of TV Licensing letter abuse I would only tell them to get off my land. Nothing else and certainly never invite him in for a quick look or sign anything.
  • Can you not just go into a computer shop and buy a computer monitor rather than a TV? There are a lot of HD spec monitors out there that are pretty large and as they are not TVs do not have a tuner built in. Most these days seem to have HDMI as a connection option on the back, based on my limited browsing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure