Feel Sad

Am I being silly.

We lost my mum 3 years ago and since then my Dad has been a wee bit wandered. I have tried talking to my brother and sister but get the reply I don't live there so why bother about it. I live about a good hours drive away, so don't get back often as I work full time but I do call Dad every week.

I left home over 25 years ago - much to my sisters comment that when we were picking flowers for mums funeral I suggested one type and she said no as mum didn't like them and I said I thought mum liked all flowers she says how would you know you left home 20 odd years ago.

The latest incident has really hurt me. Through FB a friend from school mentioned she hadn't seen Dad in the shops as they see him most weeks. I found out that he hadn't been well and not been but my brother or sister didn't tell me.

I feel so sad, I want to do for my Dad but if I start to come down more or call more he will think there is something wrong. My brother and sister make me feel so isolated. Its not my fault I moved out and moved away.

Weekends just now are a bit of a blur as I have shopping to do and study (I am at night school). I blink and what feels like just like leaving work on Friday it is already Monday morning.

Sorry for moan.

Comments

• I'm writing as I'm in a similar situation to you, but coming at it from "the other side" so to speak. My Mum died very suddenly 2 years ago, leaving my Dad, myself and my three siblings. We all work full time, and my sister and I have children.

Since we lost Mum Dad has been diagnosed with Alzheimers and recently suffered a stroke. My younger brother and I do all of the caring for Dad. I drive him to do his shopping, to his hospital and Doctors appointments and take him out a couple of days a week to get him out of the house. I cook Sunday lunch for us and do all his paperwork/admin/banking etc. My brother Dad's food 6 nights a week, ensures he's taken his medication. Between us we do his all of his household chores and I've just completely redecorated his bathroom for him in my "spare" time.

My other brother and sister live in the same city but hardly ever do anything to help Dad. My sister visits once a week and my brother maybe once a month. They call once a week.

It's really hard when you feel your family should be pulling together as a team, and each individual "doing their bit" to help. We've tried discussing this with our siblings, and things change for a couple of days, then go back to how it was.

All I can say is that time with your Dad now is time you'll never have again. I so wish I had spent more time with Mum before she died so unexpectedly. I, like you was very busy, dashing from work to the gym or a class or to do something for my husband and children. One day she was here and the next she was gone.

Your Dad will have put in endless hours taking care of you and your siblings as a child, and surely it isn't impossible for you to set aside a couple of hours a week to drive down to visit him. Perhaps you could take him out to somewhere he enjoys, or share a meal? You can make all the excuses under the sun about "being too busy" and to be honest I think you saying he'd know something was up is a non argument, but believe me, you'll have all the time in the world to yourself when he's no longer here and not around to call or visit. Have a chat with your siblings and ask them what you can do to "do your bit" and ease the load on them a little. Believe me they'll be incredibly grateful and will welcome any effort you can make with Dad.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 20 February 2017 at 6:59PM
    jhgkp wrote: »
    Its not my fault I moved out and moved away.
    :huh:
    Were you abducted by aliens?

An hour's drive away is nothing. Everyone is busy, it's just a question of priorities. We can all find excuses not to do things that aren't top of our list of priorities, but if we really want to do something we manage to find the time somehow....
    Find the time to see your Dad (while you still have the option) or don't, it's your choice.
    Your siblings plainly don't feel like you're really bothered or that you're 'pulling your weight'. I can understand why.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Things change as people age. Now your dad is on his own and starting to show his age, I'm sure he would be grateful for more regular visits. 1 hour is not far away. Go and do your shopping in your Dads town , take him out for lunch etc so you can combine jobs. Don't argue with your siblings over it. Do what you think is right. Mostly remember all the hard work and sacrifices your dad probably made for you and try to care for him best you can. Men do try to ' get on with it' more than women but that doesn't mean he doesn't need you. I bet he would be so happy if you popped in unannounced. Maybe stay away from visits at the same time same day etc it can cause worry and disappointment if you can't make it one day but really 1 hour away isn't much.
  • jhgkp
    jhgkp Posts: 90 Forumite
    Thank you for your replies. I didn't realize how selfish I have been. When I moved away years ago (10 hour drive then), I spoke to my Mum each day. Now I call Dad once a week - he asked me to not call him all the time. I have emailed my siblings asking if I can help more (easiest way to communicate with them). My older sister always makes the remark when I do go down unannounced what do I want. Don't want anything, just want to see my Dad.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 21 February 2017 at 3:11PM
    My older sister always makes the remark when I do go down unannounced what do I want. Don't want anything, just want to see my Dad.

Maybe just because it happens irregularly/infrequently?

OTOH, siblings don't automatically always get along just because they share genes.
    Maybe she's jealous because you moved away and have different life that doesn't (by the sound of it) include her, or maybe she's miffed because she feels like you don't do as much for your father as she does, or maybe she feels since you moved away that you don't keep in contact as much as she would have liked you to, or any number of other reasons. Maybe she's just naturally grumpy. Who knows?
    Maybe on one of your visits you could meet up with her and discuss it?
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I live about a good hours drive away, so don't get back often as I work full time but I do call Dad every week.

We're further away from FIL than that but he gets a weekly visit from my OH. I know that's a big commitment but surely you can manage every other week?

If you made it a regular event, your siblings would know that you are willing to be fully involved in your father's care and you would be able to keep up with his current state.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 February 2017 at 7:03PM
    Thank you for your replies. I didn't realize how selfish I have been. When I moved away years ago (10 hour drive then), I spoke to my Mum each day. Now I call Dad once a week - he asked me to not call him all the time. I have emailed my siblings asking if I can help more (easiest way to communicate with them). My older sister always makes the remark when I do go down unannounced what do I want. Don't want anything, just want to see my Dad.

I was in the same situation when my dad was failing after mum died.
    There are 3 of us, 2 sisters and a brother. One sister lived a good hours drive away where as I lived in the same town as dad. My brother was pretty useless but did do a lot of 'keeping dad company' while I was doing the cleaning, shopping, making meals on a daily basis, changing the beds, running to appointments etc.

Sis was always 'trying to get over to see dad' but 'working all hours' or 'got car problems, or 'babysitting her grandchild' etc.

I was also working full time and looking after my disabled husband and I was shattered as every day was a challenge timewise.

I was always at the end of the phone for dad and would find myself having to go back to him less than an hour from leaving him for some 'emergency or other'.

I began to feel very resentful of my sister. It wasnt that I wanted to do less for dad it was the assumption by her that it was ok for me to be always on call.

I would try to get her to help but she always used the fact that as she was a hour away there was no point in her coming after work as she would only have a short time before she had to go home.

What really got to me (and this may be the was your sister sees things) was that when she did show up dad was so pleased to see her it was almost like a royal visit! I went one Sunday afternoon, having already been there earlier in the day and when I walked in I found my sister sitting on the couch watching tv with dad. She had apparently been there 2 hours and had done nothing more than make a brew. Dad was smiling and said to me 'Look, our H
    is here' as if she was doing a great favour turning up. He was then later telling the district nurse how nice it been to see his daughter and how she had made the effort to come 'all that way to see me'. Whilst muggins was just on hand every day.

I nearly lost it when she said 'I could have done some jobs if I had known what you wanted me to do'.

Thats why your bit about 'asking if I can help more' rang bells. Because if my sister had used those words I would probably have snapped back at her- 'Why do you need to ask, you know you could help more but its not up to me to tell you what to do. No-one tells me what needs doing, I just get on with it'

I really felt taken for granted by my sister and brother as it was just assumed I would do everything.
    Caring for dad wasnt optional for one sibling so why should it be optional for the others.
  • Mojisola
    swingaloo wrote: »
    Thats why your bit about 'asking if I can help more' rang bells. Because if my sister had used those words I would probably have snapped back at her- 'Why do you need to ask, you know you could help more but its not up to me to tell you what to do. No-one tells me what needs doing, I just get on with it'

I think this is a little unfair (and I was the one in your position of managing my parents' lives).

If one of the 'away' siblings had arrived and suddenly started doing jobs, it could have been a real pain. I had a routine in dealing with both households and I much preferred if they asked what needed doing, especially in advance - "I'll be over on Saturday - what jobs do you want me to do". That way, I knew that what needed doing would be done and that I had the day free.
  • jhgkp
    jhgkp Posts: 90 Forumite
    I don't know what to do for best then. I remember one time Dad mentioned it was long time since had steak pie like mum used to make. So I thought I was kind by making this for him (using mums receipe) and taking it down. Dad enjoyed it but my elder brother commented that it had yuk stuff in it (vegetables). My sister (elder) said why did I do that - I could of bought one from shop instead of you making him one. I don't want to step on anyones toes if I do help - that's why I thought I ask.
  • Mojisola
    I remember one time Dad mentioned it was long time since had steak pie like mum used to make. So I thought I was kind by making this for him (using mums receipe) and taking it down.

Dad enjoyed it but my elder brother commented that it had yuk stuff in it (vegetables). My sister (elder) said why did I do that - I could of bought one from shop instead of you making him one.

And the answer is - but that wouldn't have been made with Mum's recipe.

It sounds as if your siblings are going to complain whatever you do. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport