Toilet tank randomly refills for a few seconds

Options
Hello,

Our toilet currently has a mind of it's own, randomly refilling the tank but only for a few brief seconds. I don't think it's going down the overflow into the toilet, or it's stuck on flushing, so I'm a bit stumped as to why it just refills for 2-3 seconds every once in a while.

Any ideas on what I might need to check / twiddle with?

Cheers

David

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello,

Our toilet currently has a mind of it's own, randomly refilling the tank but only for a few brief seconds. I don't think it's going down the overflow into the toilet, or it's stuck on flushing, so I'm a bit stumped as to why it just refills for 2-3 seconds every once in a while.

Any ideas on what I might need to check / twiddle with?

Cheers

David
    I know you said it isn't the overflow, but I think you'll probably find, if you look very carefully, there is a tiny dribble of water continually running from the cistern into the bowl. This is an indication that the shut-off seal is beginning to wear or perhaps there is some grit on it.

Depending on your flushing mechanism, it may be possible to just clean or replace the seal, but for the sake of a few pounds its probably just as easy to replace the complete flush mechanism.
  • always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    Options
    I had a similar problem, the overflow might be okay but the tank may not be holding the water.
    I assume the refill is not overflowing the tank so it must be going somewhere (down the toilet).

It's easy to replace, 5 minutes and £15 from ScrewFix!
    EU expat working in London
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have this exact problem. We never got to the bottom of it (if you'll pardon the pun) but it does happen much less often than it used to. In the beginning it was every fifteen minutes or so, now it's a few times a day. We just got used to the noise.

We tried having the gubbins in the loo replaced completely but even that didn't work.

Sorry not to be of more help.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure