HolidayUSA.co.uk won't accept credit cards

Hi All,

I have booked a flight+hotel with HolidayUSA.co.uk and paid £250 deposit using a credit card.

I called up to pay the remaining balance £2300, and they are telling me that they won't accept credit cards for balance payments.
They will only accept debit card!!

Now as far as I'm aware, most people pay for holidays with their credit cards! Convenience, protection etc.....

Are they allowed to do this? Is it legal?
What should I do? - I can't pay by debit card right now, and I don't want to loose my booking or have to pay revised higher prices.

(they are ATOL protected, and I have been issued ATOL certificates, if that makes a difference).

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    They can refuse to accept credit cards, but what did their T&Cs say when you booked?

When is the final payment due? You could get a Curve card. The holiday company would treat it as a debit card, and Curve would take the payment from a linked Mastercard or Visa CC.
  • bulletfoss
    bulletfoss Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    what did their T&Cs say when you booked?

It states:
    "On initial booking we accept UK registered personal debit cards, personal Visa credit cards, personal MasterCard and bank transfers. For balance payments (if using deposit options) we only accept UK registered personal debit cards or bank transfers."

To be honest it never crossed my mind that it would be a problem - I've never had or heard of issues with holiday companies accepting credit cards, so it's not the kind of thing I'd look for.
    You do have to find this on their website, it's not presented to you at any stage, nor is it stated in the deposit confirmation.
  • Nick_C
    Then those are the terms you have agreed to, and they can refuse to accept a credit card for the final payment.

Unfortunately, the recent change in the law means they can't even agree to let you pay by CC if you pay a surcharge! Consumer legislation sometimes has unintended consequences.

When is the balance due? Do you have time to get a Curve card? If not you are going to have to find the cash somehow.
  • bulletfoss
    But they would accept Credit Card if I were to pay at the point of booking, in full.
    What difference does it make to them?

Perhaps I could ask them to cancel the booking but immediately re-order, paying in full straight away.

Failing that, I'll demand my deposit back and book elsewhere.
    Curve waiting list is stupid long at the moment. Payment required before 30th April.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bulletfoss wrote: »
    But they would accept Credit Card if I were to pay at the point of booking, in full.
    What difference does it make to them?

They know that most people will pay a deposit now and the balance later, and of course the cost to them of accepting a payment by credit card is a little higher than other forms of payment.
  • Nick_C
    I applied for Curve on Sunday, and reached the top of the queue at Lunchtime on Thursday. I didn't link a card until late on Friday, and I've been told it will be with me in 3 to 7 working days. So I would suggest it's worth a try. If you can refer anyone, you will reach the top of the queue faster.

If you cancel now, I think you will lose your deposit. Taking a cash advance or personal loan might be cheaper.
    12.1 ALTERATION or CANCELLATION for Package Bookings
    When a deposit option has been paid and prior to full payment the cancellation/alteration fee will be loss of deposit, or all monies paid unless otherwise stated on your Booking Advice. Once full payment has been made the cancellation fee is 100%. For cancellation terms applicable to charter airlines, please see note 12.2 Please contact reservations@holidayUSA.co.uk with any cancellation/alteration request.
  • Nick_C
    It could cost the travel agent £46 to take your final payment by credit card. That is a sizeable chunk of their profit. On line travel agents work with small margins.

The parent company web site does say "Our websites always show the complete price at first time of asking, so no surprises like local taxes or credit card fees when it comes to booking." So you could try referring to this and asking them to take the final payment by CC on this occasion as a goodwill gesture. If that doesn't work, you could threaten them with a complaint to ABTA and/or the ASA for false advertising. (Get a screenshot first!)

http://www.travelday.com/#!/main_menu

Good luck, and do let us know how you resolve this.
  • bulletfoss
    I have applied for one.
    I'm in position 40,000.

We'll see what happens, I'm also going to talk with HolUSA customer service on Monday, as they weren't available when I called.
  • Nick_C
    Can you refer someone else to jump the queue?

If you do get a Curve card in time;

1) The first time you use it has to be Chip & Pin transaction, so buy something in a shop first.

2) There is a £2K daily limit.

But you might be able to pay it in two transactions over two days. Or pay £300 on you normal debit card and £2K on Curve.

Only just though of this. Sorry. Still hope it might help though.
  • Just to let everyone know, I got a Curve card, only took a week.

As explained, it's a debit card - linked to your credit card, works like a charm!

This was my solution, thanks for the recommendation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure