Can we claim for loss of notice?

Mum was made redundant before Christmas as the company went bankrupt. I duly filled the redundancy claim on the gov website.

Mum has received an email confirming anount of redundancy pay plus holiday pay, which she will receive in the next few days.

Given that all employees were made redundant with less than two days' notice, can we claim for loss of notice too or is this likely to be rejected?

Comments

• Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    If the company has been declared insolvent then they don't have any money to give you I'm afraid. It's not something that you can claim from the government.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Energize wrote: »
    If the company has been declared insolvent then they don't have any money to give you I'm afraid. It's not something that you can claim from the government.
    This information is not correct. You are entitled to claim statutory notice pay, subject to the cap if applicable, from the employer (if they have any assets) or from the Redundancy Payments Office (if they do not). So you can claim it from the government. You need to go back and speak to them. I think you need to submit another form for notice pay. It's a long time since I dealt with any such claims, but I am positive that statutory notice pay is an eligible claim.
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    edited 21 January 2018 at 5:34AM
    sangie595 wrote: »
    This information is not correct. You are entitled to claim statutory notice pay, subject to the cap if applicable, from the employer (if they have any assets) or from the Redundancy Payments Office (if they do not). So you can claim it from the government. You need to go back and speak to them. I think you need to submit another form for notice pay. It's a long time since I dealt with any such claims, but I am positive that statutory notice pay is an eligible claim.

I'm assuming that the OP was referring to contractual notice beyond statutory.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Energize wrote: »
    I'm assuming that the OP was referring to contractual notice beyond statutory.
    That isn't what they said though. They said that they were made redundant with less than two days notice. Since the only period in time when they could have less than a weeks statutory notice is the first four weeks of employment - which it could not possibly have been or there would have been no entitlement to the redundancy payment already awarded - then it was obvious that the assumption you made could be nothing other than wrong. You said very specifically that notice pay cannot be claimed from the government. It can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure