Sunken's attempt to float...

Comments

• MeenaM wrote: »
    OMG this is so freaky , your income and outgoings are practically the same as mine when I include my husband in it, he even has a company card like yours and isn't the slimmest either! and I am the one with the rust bucket car ,

i dont think your grocery bill is unrealistic , god knows how any one gets it below that as a family of 4 even with just shopping at Aldi it would be a problem

are you just paying the min on the credit cards?

as to a good budgeting app I like Budget Tracker App

an idea to get some money , switch your bank account to one that gives a cash incentive ,i switched for the first time to the B account in Nov after being with my previous bank for 30 years! but it was so easy and i qualify for £250 for doing so

i am going to subscribe and cheer you along good luck!

Lol, I'll keep a good eye on what you're doing then too to get some ideas.
    I'm with a cash incentive bank, and most months I manage to get a tenner from them as I stay in the black (no OD facility) however, December I found myself in the red for a bit so the meanies won't pay me.

I have switched banks a few times to get the cash incentives, and that's certainly something I'll keep an eye on.

Credit cards at the moment are over two cards, Virgin and Tesco. We have been paying £200 a month standing order to Virgin for about 18 months, and minimum on Tesco (interest free and all debt accrued in last 12 months :eek:). However we have applied and been successful for a 0% transfer with 0% fee offer from Barclaycard with a limit of £12000 so are going to transfer both over in the next couple of weeks. Then work hard to pay it down before 0% ends. Of course if we don't it will be fine as we will have other cards to transfer it on to, but I couldn't believe the 0% fee offer as I've never seen that before and think we're unlikely to again for a while, and lots of transferring just racks up fees etc.

I find setting up Standing Orders for credit cards works better for us than either DD or remembering to pay. Once the money has left our account it can't be spent again, so in theory it should keep us to budget. Of course, I'll only be able to tell you how successful we have been come March :rotfl:
    Savings:
    Emergency 404.38/1000 Car 200/600 Christmas 250/800 Holiday 250/600
    Grading 30/90 presents 40
    Total debt Jan 2018 53,938
    April 2018 47,780.52
  • If you pay for insurances (car house) monthly -dont , they get you on credit charges all day long.

Save and pay annually

As other contributors have identified the best way to manage finances is to know exactly where your bank balances are every DAY, and accrue for forthcoming costs. Then monthly analyse where to reduce expenditure and increase debt repayments. Its a fluid process and has to be done daily with the analysis and self criticism at every potential purchase.

You're right. The goal will be to be able to pay for insurances annually. You're so right about the interest particularly on car insurance. I think my renewal is in September, so will give paying up front my very best shot!

My husband and I have committed to each recording our daily spends and discussing them. He's even muttering about getting a receipt spike for the kitchen (although no doubt our son will decide that makes a perfect weapon for torturing his sister so will have to keep it out of the way!). He had a NSD yesterday (perks of a company credit card, he managed to have a business lunch meeting :))

As I say, January is a hot mess financially, but come Feb, budgeting will swing into full flow!
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
  • ok, have set up a billion easysavers on our lloyds account. Therefore I now have somewhere to put holiday/emergency/car/grading savings the minute we get paid. This is clearly not the first time I have been down this route as I already had a saver named 'holiday'. There was 4 pence in there :) Debating whether to set up another one for haircuts. Might be a step too far......
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
  • Morning,

Welcome to the boards.

They're a friendly if slightly mad bunch here :rotfl: You'll find masses of help and support.

Will be following your journey with interest.

Pmo2
    xx
  • MeenaM wrote: »
    OMG this is so freaky , your income and outgoings are practically the same as mine when I include my husband in it, he even has a company card like yours and isn't the slimmest either! and I am the one with the rust bucket car ,

i dont think your grocery bill is unrealistic , god knows how any one gets it below that as a family of 4 even with just shopping at Aldi it would be a problem

are you just paying the min on the credit cards?

as to a good budgeting app I like Budget Tracker App

an idea to get some money , switch your bank account to one that gives a cash incentive ,i switched for the first time to the B account in Nov after being with my previous bank for 30 years! but it was so easy and i qualify for £250 for doing so

i am going to subscribe and cheer you along good luck!

I have a monthly food budget of £433.33 and that is for a family of 7 so a family of four should be able to go lower than £400 if I can manage on £433 for a family of seven and two of those seven being in nappies still which bumps up the cost.

I think meal planning is key and having a list of what you need to buy so you don't end up with loads of the same thing and not enough to make dinners with.
  • Good luck, you certainly seem determined and made good progress already!
  • thought it was going to be a NSD but have just realised I have to pay some training fees. £28 pounds later...... still, no fripperies, and it's those things that will bankrupt us!
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
  • I've realised I've got a weird motivation, and it's something that every time I think about it it makes me feel good and calm.....
    More than being debt free, and the amazing things we will be able to do with that money as a family when it's not going on repayments...

I love the idea of having Christmas money saved up ready.

The idea of being able to choose presents based on want rather than price, not RESENTING members of my family when I'm struggling to find money for gifts. Not having that pang of worry or guilt with every big purchase. Not spending December's early pay day in one week and leaving January a wasteland of denial and regret.

I'm not wishing the year away, but that is genuinely a new experience I'm excited for.

I'd love to be able to save between 750 and 1000 pounds. And I know that's a huge amount, but that would be to include all food, presents and Christmas related activities including santa visits and our annual Christmas panto trip.

I wonder what that feels like?
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
  • I've realised I've got a weird motivation, and it's something that every time I think about it it makes me feel good and calm.....
    More than being debt free, and the amazing things we will be able to do with that money as a family when it's not going on repayments...

I love the idea of having Christmas money saved up ready.

The idea of being able to choose presents based on want rather than price, not RESENTING members of my family when I'm struggling to find money for gifts. Not having that pang of worry or guilt with every big purchase. Not spending December's early pay day in one week and leaving January a wasteland of denial and regret.

I'm not wishing the year away, but that is genuinely a new experience I'm excited for.

I'd love to be able to save between 750 and 1000 pounds. And I know that's a huge amount, but that would be to include all food, presents and Christmas related activities including santa visits and our annual Christmas panto trip.

I wonder what that feels like?

Its good to have a goal to work towards.
  • Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    Hi sunken
    That made me laugh about your savings accounts, I started the same this year and already had one called Christmas with 21p in there, obviously I'd had good intentions in previous years. I've set up little accounts for holidays and birthdays/christmas etc now although still nothing in there until I start properly next month. Food budget - I got the savvy shoppers cookbook and follow the meal plans on the website & the most I spend now is £65 a week. That includes food, cleaning stuff, nappies , etc. we bake all our snacks.
    I would also love to be able to spend £1000 at christmas and not be left in January like I am now scrimping and hoping I can get to the end of the month. We also have trips out every December. Not panto but we do a theme park and lots of other days out. I'm excited too and just feeling empowered to do this ! I tried to start last year and failed miserably , only reducing debt by about £3k . Good luck & there's definitely others with debts as high as yours on here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure