Swiching Sky Box off at Night?

Will it cause any problems such as updates updating during the night if I switch my Sky box off during the night?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    assuming you mean "off" as in "no lights on the box" aka unplugged, then the box won't be able to update.

The boxes are designed to be left in standby mode, which is the orange light. There are only three modes on them based on the light on the front of the box - green (on), orange (standby) and red (effectively off). The boxes will not update or record or basically do anything in "red" mode and I dare say given long enough it will not see the automatic updates.

Note that if you unplug the box it will take five minutes at least to come back up, rebuild the search, reload the planner and the TV guide, whereas from standby, about two seconds.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    jelliot wrote: »
    Will it cause any problems such as updates updating during the night if I switch my Sky box off during the night?
    They are designed for power (and internet) to be constantly supplied.

Removing the power overnight will not only deprive you of updates, it will mean the On Demand provision that forms part of your subscription will be compromised.

Leave it plugged in.

If you are concerned about cost and the environment, enable "Eco" mode.

If you are truly worried about cost, cancel subscription television altogether..
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    We turn ours off and unplug. In fact the last thing i do at night is unplug anything that absolutely dosnt need to be on. A Sky box and TV dont need to be on. Its a mild paranoia thing caused by having a fireman in the family who occasionally recounts tales of house fires caused by faulty electrical items left plugged in overnight.

It does take a long time so wake itself up in the morning and sometimes will perform an update then (means it takes longer then freezes, then turns itself off again etc) but its no big deal. Cant say i am ever in a rush to watch TV when i get up anyway.
  • MataNui wrote: »
    We turn ours off and unplug. In fact the last thing i do at night is unplug anything that absolutely dosnt need to be on. A Sky box and TV dont need to be on. Its a mild paranoia thing caused by having a fireman in the family who occasionally recounts tales of house fires caused by faulty electrical items left plugged in overnight.

It does take a long time so wake itself up in the morning and sometimes will perform an update then (means it takes longer then freezes, then turns itself off again etc) but its no big deal. Cant say i am ever in a rush to watch TV when i get up anyway.

If you do this with your internet router as well then the odds are you're not getting the speed you should.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    MataNui wrote: »

Most likely appliance to catch fire is a washing machine. Its not something i watch when its doing its business.

The most likely cause of house fires is smoking.

Your fridge is a considerably bigger fire risk than your sky box or tv (neither of which is earthed theyre considered that safe and both of which are considered intrinsically safe, basically unable to catch fire in normal or abnormal conditions) but is something no one ever unplugs.

Risk management. Your fridge will always (to the extent that your fridge might set on fire and your sky box will not) set on fire first. Just make sure youve got a working fire alarm which you test regularly and youll be fine. Unless of course you want to be unplugging your fridge nightly too.
  • spadoosh wrote: »
    Most likely appliance to catch fire is a washing machine. Its not something i watch when its doing its business.

The most likely cause of house fires is smoking.

Your fridge is a considerably bigger fire risk than your sky box or tv (neither of which is earthed theyre considered that safe and both of which are considered intrinsically safe, basically unable to catch fire in normal or abnormal conditions) but is something no one ever unplugs.

Risk management. Your fridge will always (to the extent that your fridge might set on fire and your sky box will not) set on fire first. Just make sure youve got a working fire alarm which you test regularly and youll be fine. Unless of course you want to be unplugging your fridge nightly too.

And only smoking outdoors.

And never ever using an oven or stove.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    If you do this with your internet router as well then the odds are you're not getting the speed you should.

Router i treat like the fridge. Always on. I also keep lizards so they have the heatmats always on. Sky box, TVs, computers etc have no valid reason to be left on so i turn them off.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A friend's husband is a retired fireman. The most dangerous thing in the home is those plug-in air freshers, they cause more fires. They can overheat and have oil in them. He refuses to let any of the family use them.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    donnac2558 wrote: »
    A friend's husband is a retired fireman. The most dangerous thing in the home is those plug-in air freshers, they cause more fires. They can overheat and have oil in them. He refuses to let any of the family use them.
    I was just going to mention this ,as after a fire in a friend's road, the fire service visited every house and she as told that her Ambi -pur if left on was the greatest hazard.
  • If you’ve got no recordings scheduled then I would unplug it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure