PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

No money until utilities are paid

Hi there,

My old lettings agency took a months rent out of account when they weren't supposed to as I had moved out a few days prior to that. They deducted money for cleaning, admin and for returning my keys in late - which I can understand. However, they are not giving me back the rest of my money until the utility bills have been paid for and closed. Can they do this?? Please help!!! ☹️

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    No, they cannot do any of that.

HOWEVER they also didn't take money out of your account did they? you forgot to cancel the standing order.

The utility bills are nothing to do with them. I suggest you claim the full amount back via small claims court.
  • Yes I forgot to cancel the standing order which is purely my fault.

Me and my old lettings agency have been contacting through email - should I now threaten to take them to a small claims court?

Thank you for your reply
  • Guest101
    Yes I forgot to cancel the standing order which is purely my fault.

Me and my old lettings agency have been contacting through email - should I now threaten to take them to a small claims court?

Thank you for your reply

There is a two pronged approach.

1 is reporting the technical theft. The police may say it's a civil matter, but the theft act makes it an offence to keep wrongfully credited money. You would need to read up on this, bring paperwork and be prepared to argue the case with the officer.

2 is issuing a letter before action then making a civil claim.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Why don't you just pay the utility bills? Considering court action seems like complete overkill when there is a simple solution.
  • There is an outstanding bill with utilities - I moved out because I couldn't afford to keep up with the bills. I have came to an agreement with the utility providers that I pay the outstanding bill off bit by bit so therefore won't be payed off fully for another few months
  • Guest101
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Why don't you just pay the utility bills? Considering court action seems like complete overkill when there is a simple solution.

That's separate though.

it's like a letting agent not returning your money until you paid off your credit card.

in any case, the OP may need that money to pay it!
  • david1951
    david1951 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 6 September 2017 at 1:40PM
    I would write a letter before action as Guest suggests (Google it - it's pretty straightforward) and demand the money back.

Personally, I would say that ALL of the stuff they've taken out (cleaning, admin and for returning my keys in late) is a matter for the deposit (dealt with separately), and you require ALL of the money back immediately.

Say that unless you receive the money within 2 days you will (i) report the theft to the police and (ii) file a Money Claim Online (MCOL).

In those 2 days you can look at how simple it is to file a MCOL.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi there,

My old lettings agency took a months rent out of account when they weren't supposed to
    No - that was down to you.

as I had moved out a few days prior to that. They deducted money for cleaning, admin and for returning my keys in late - which I can understand.
    OK. And you accept the amount deducted yes?

However, they are not giving me back the rest of my money until the utility bills have been paid for and closed. Can they do this?? Please help!!! ☹️
    Depends. Since it appears the utility accounts are in your name (not the landlord's or the agency's) then the bills are not their concern.

Write (yes a letter, to the landlord & copy the agent) and tell them so, and request the balance of your deposit back within 3 working days.

If this does not work, raise a dispute via the deposit scheme. See

* Deposits: payment, protection and return

Re the over-payment you made: Letter Before Action.
  • Guest101
    G_M wrote: »
    Depends. Since it appears the utility accounts are in your name (not the landlord's or the agency's) then the bills are not their concern.

Write (yes a letter, to the landlord & copy the agent) and tell them so, and request the balance of your deposit back within 3 working days.

If this does not work, raise a dispute via the deposit scheme. See

* Deposits: payment, protection and return

It was an overpayment of rent, not deposit (or possibly both)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure