advice on what treadmill to buy needed

Hi

I want to buy a treadmill. I am looking at the York 101, Roger Black Gold or Reebok. Not sure which one to buy, any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• There are so many pitfalls in buying a treadmill - most people don't pay enough and end up with a real dud of a machine that gathers dust after a few months. It can be really disappointing especially if you have used a gym quality treadmill. You don't have to pay the thousands that they cost but a few hundred pounds is not going to make you happy either unless you just want to use your treadmill for a brisk walk now and again. I wrote an in-depth independent (no ad) guide to treadmills which you can get free from my site in the treadmill section at simplyfitnessgear.com I hope it's alright to say that - don't want to fall foul of the guidelines for posting (so please delete this if I have) but I think it will be really helpful for you in trying to choose one as it goes into all the features of a treadmill and what you need to be careful about.
  • Hi, I've read your e-book on buying a treadmill, very helpful thank you - but still cannot decide which to buy!! I like the Proform 500 CX, Horizon T121 or Reebok Series 3 all around £599-645. Please can you advise which to go for.

Thank you x
    :D

Successfully claimed so far:
    Co-op Credit card £75.00
    Cap One £200 for O/H
    Barclaycard: £108
    RBS: £290
    Cap One: £126
    HSBC: £338.50 for daughter.
  • hi Mooch :)

I bought the Reebok Fusion treadmil last August from Argos
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001001&langId=-1&searchTerms=Reebok+Fusion+Treadmill&x=9&y=10

its currently half price at £499, you can apply for a "argos card" and pay 6 installments of £83pm without paying any interest.

The treadmil is one of the best things i ever bought, it doesnt compare with the cheaper sub £100 treadmills.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
    "Do not look back and grieve over the past, for it is gone, and do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering"
  • Hi

there's really not enough information on the Argos product page to make a choice on that Reebok treadmill - the most important information is missing.

Always do a comparison on the CONTINUOUS HP of the motor - some of the motors are the size of a soup can in cheaper treadmills and will give up the ghost in a very short time.

Of course a machine costing £500 is better than one costing £100 but is it good enough not to turn into a clothes horse after a few months? That's the question. It depends what you are using it for.

A user who will be doing a bit of light strolling three times a week in front of the TV will be happier than the regular exerciser who wants to run.

Never buy anything this big without in depth product information. As far as I'm aware (and certainly the case with elliptical machines) Reebok do not even make these treadmills so you can't rely on their reputation for giving a quality product which will give many years service.

Moneygrabber, I can't comment on those 3 as I have not studied them in-depth - you would need to look at the specifications - at least compare the power of the motors and don't be fobbed off by HP measurement - it must be CHP you compare.
  • ant2006
    ant2006 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Hi,
    I've been eyeing up one of those Reebok Fusion machines myself.
    I used to go to the gym about 5 years ago and the majority of my cardio work out took place on a treadmill. I'm very unfit now though.

Any idea how the Reebok machine compares to a gym model?
    Also, how fast does 16kph seem? Is that a pretty fast jog?

Does it feel very cushioned underfoot and importantly - is 15 minutes on the thing enough to get pretty well tired out at decent speeds / inclines?

Thank you!
    :: No Links in signatures please - FM ::
  • 16 kph is about 10 mph and certainly fast enough for most people to run unless you're a really keen runner.

Jan
  • ant2006
    ant2006 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Cheers for that.
    So, how would it compare to a gym treadmill?
    And is the width of the belt on a home model okay for running or do people find themselves tripping over their own feet?
    :: No Links in signatures please - FM ::
  • simplyjan wrote: »
    Hi

there's really not enough information on the Argos product page to make a choice on that Reebok treadmill - the most important information is missing.

Thank you very much for your advice Jan, really appreciated. I'm still studying treadmills !! So many but I'll keep looking and hopefully get the right one eventually!

Many thanks, Marie xx
    :D

Successfully claimed so far:
    Co-op Credit card £75.00
    Cap One £200 for O/H
    Barclaycard: £108
    RBS: £290
    Cap One: £126
    HSBC: £338.50 for daughter.
  • I bought the roger black gold - its is a large sturdy treadmill which is only a little different from the ones I used at the gym, just a little more plasticy. Its about as noisy maybe a bit less.

I like the features on it - the incline control, and the heartrate monitor speed control and pullout key (in case you get trapped at a too fast speed and fly off spattering yourself against the wall!). It has a max weight of around 17-18st i think, but frankly if you weigh much more you would not be running on it, you would be walking/speed walking until you lost weight.

I had to adjust the belt so it didn't pull left or right, with my steps and leave a inch gap either side or so - thats becase it was not on a flat surface - i have it in the yard and have had to prop it up with varoius books to get it level. There is a guide in the manual on how to do the adjustments, but I didn;t get a manual with it as i bought it 2nd hand.

There is a massive footfall area, and it goes upto 10 miles/hour. I was sprinting and could only keep that pace up for a few minutes! There is no way that the average person people could keep that pace up - that pace would even defeat roger black!.

If you want to get fit and lose weight etc... you will be running around half that pace for a longer time as its distance not speed that matters until you can sustain the pace.

I used to be a proper runner before I let myself get out of shape. To get more in touch with the speed - the average runner/jogger can only do 12mins per mile or 5 miles/hour for any real time period - 15-20 mins or so.

10 miles an hour gets you to 6 mins a mile. Seen Charots of fire? That was all about the first sub 5 min mile!

It took many YEARS for runners to break through a sub 5 minute mile barrier in a sprint, once that barrier was broken, with intense training Roger Bannister did the sub 4 min mile in 1954 !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/6/newsid_2511000/2511575.stm)

So there is no worry about the speed/capacity, in fact a top speed of 6 mph would do 99% of runners, but people always want to pay for and wear the £120 sports trainers even though the most running thay will do is for a bus and would be better off saving themselves £90. So 10mph/16kms is insane and you will never get even near that speed for more than 4 mins.

The build quality is pretty good. I have had no problems with it and I weigh 16st. The main thing is that you have to have a level surface and a lot of space. (think the size of the ones in the gym)
    This treadmill is very sturdy, and stands upto my weight so far. I am glad I bought it.
    so says another ordinary mug fighting the 1% who own the political machine grinding them down from on high...
    :A
  • Hi all, I too am looking for a decent running machine/tread mill for the £500 mark.

It is so hard to find reviews on treadmills. I have been looking at the Reebok T3 or the ProForm 4.0. Basically, they look sturdy from the images I have seen. I don't know where to try them either, as I have not seen any except in the gym.

I wish to build up to running 12kmph for 30 minutes. I used to run at the gym and manage 9-10kmph for 30 minutes, I weigh almost 16 stone now however and want to lose the weight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure