PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Supermarket biscuits are rising in price

Comments

• AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It takes a long while for any price increase the manufacturer has seen to reach the end consumer so yes the biscuits made months ago would have been made at a higher price to the manufacturer.

Having said that I agree that they probably don't have any butter in them!

You are right the price will not likely go down again if the price of butter drops but that is due to the fact it will then be used to offset the other price increases the manufacturer has had to absorb in the meantime.

Oh I do mostly agree. :)

The 'other costs' well we'll never really know the bottom line as such as what the increases would of "been in theory" had butter not risen in price or horror of horrors dropped in wholesale prices.

Having said that if there was extra margin then perhaps there might (here's hoping!) more extra offers or suchlike.

I think I'm slightly miffed still its not as easy as it was even 3-4 years ago to find a 'tin' rather than a 'cardboard pack' , mind you having said that that is also a potential cost saving for them too.

I can't honestly say I've really looked into the actual butter or lack of 'content' in biscuits, I do like them but I don't tend to eat too many anyway.

Just figuring "most things in sensible moderation are OK" that's all. :) , that also reminds me of another new topic I still need to post, I think I'm queuing them up until I have all the decent info to hand to post them all. :rotfl:
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    JackieO wrote: »
    I only buy cream crackers at Christmas to have with cheese and pickles etc.
    Oh so tempting as a midnight snack. Luckily, its Christmas month and I have all three in stock :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Shop bought biscuits are pretty awful but not everyone has the opportunity to bake their own. If you do, you will know first hand that butter has gone up in price.

As the price paid to farmers for milk is again being reduced, (starting with M*llers from January) I expect more dairy farms will be going under, leading to less milk being produced, leading to further increases in cost of butter etc etc.

Regarding tins, you are right about more cardboard packets. Also I noticed last Christmas, the tins of Scottish shortbread that I bought contained little tiny biscuits, O.K. the weight is mentioned on the tin, but the biscuits themselves were tiny. I reckon this is a cunning plan to abolish the traditional biscuit.

Another Salopian here with a farming background, I absolutely refuse to buy any product bearing that company's name, nor that of notsowiseman. I am a bit hamstrung by the lack of retail grocery outlets here sadly too, so cannot be as discerning as I would like regarding best prices paid to dairy farmers.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • The crazy thing is that we get food at school from Fareshare for the breakfast club and we’ve had more butter in the last few months than ever before. I can only think that people aren’t buying it because of the price and would hate to think how much must be being wasted as Fareshare only gets a small percentage of unused food.
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly :D

• Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    JackieO wrote: »
    Just read online that the big supermarkets are increasing their prices in biscuits and blaming the price of butter for the increase, well I maybe a bit cynical but the price of butter has indeed risen in the past few weeks but I have a feeling that the SM are just jumping on the bandwagon as I don't think the biscuits have been made within the past month for the Christmas trade or am I wrong.

Those nasty money grabbing supermarkets out to rip everybody off..... the swines.

The Financial Times in June said “Butter prices churned as market goes from shortage to meltdown”, “The price of butter has almost doubled in the last 12 months as Brexit and dairy inflation takes its toll”

Even the boss of ARLA said on the BBC in July “The UK could be facing a butter and cream shortage this Christmas, the boss of dairy giant Arla has warned”

So it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with supermarkets lining there pockets.

Then again seems a bit strange that a certain section of the population is complaining about Christmas biscuit price rises when they will get a 3% pension increase when hard working families are likely to go without any pay rise AGAIN this year.

#JustSaying.
  • And the bosses of large companies, who failed in many cases to provide adequate pensions and whom are using dodgy employment practices (tho legal) such as zero hours contracts are getting how many % pay rises/bonuses????

Possibly some deserve but most of them......????

Try living honestly on just a state pension before one comments (and, no I am not a pensioner yet but watch my older friends struggle!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • Trying to find a good combination of decent biscuits and practical tin is also harder than it used to be, nothing wrong with an embossed logo, but some are hopeless shapes to reuse.

Also I treated myself to a packet of Fudges Florentines today, down to 6 in a box instead of 8. I wish they would just be honest and price them for 8, they are hardly a staple food we're all going to struggle to buy on a weekly basis, they're an occasional treat.
    ***Mortgage Free Oct 2018 - Debt Free again (after detour) June 2022***
    Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Trying to find a good combination of decent biscuits and practical tin is also harder than it used to be, nothing wrong with an embossed logo, but some are hopeless shapes to reuse.
    Ain't that the truth? :D My stationery tin is in the shape of a Scottie dog; the "ears" house things like erasers and pencil sharpeners. :D I'm pleased to have it though; it was, when full, a gift from a dog-owner who was extra pleased with the way I took care of her dog. :o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    And the bosses of large companies, who failed in many cases to provide adequate pensions and whom are using dodgy employment practices (tho legal) such as zero hours contracts are getting how many % pay rises/bonuses????

Possibly some deserve but most of them......????

Try living honestly on just a state pension before one comments (and, no I am not a pensioner yet but watch my older friends struggle!
    I do find this unappealing generally too, that and bosses who appear to be rewarded for failure "golden goodbye"

To be honest the other thing that does annoy is when you read about the 'workforce' getting say 2% increase and management getting 5% or 10%.

This is unfair in principle really as the 2% may only equate to say 20p/hour for 'workforce' but for 'management' it may be the equivalent of say £2K/year or more, there's no need for them to generally I think have a larger percentage as their salaries are higher anyway so they do get "more reward"
    Trying to find a good combination of decent biscuits and practical tin is also harder than it used to be, nothing wrong with an embossed logo, but some are hopeless shapes to reuse.

Also I treated myself to a packet of Fudges Florentines today, down to 6 in a box instead of 8. I wish they would just be honest and price them for 8, they are hardly a staple food we're all going to struggle to buy on a weekly basis, they're an occasional treat.
    I concur on the tins, looking around what little local shops I have there is very little apart from a sensible size shortbread type tin. The 'usual regulars' now appear in various size of cardboard boxes. :rotfl: , I did glance online at three supermarkets to see what they had but the situation did not appear much better, to be completely fair it is likely they might have "in the shop" but not "online"
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Another Salopian here with a farming background, I absolutely refuse to buy any product bearing that company's name, nor that of notsowiseman. I am a bit hamstrung by the lack of retail grocery outlets here sadly too, so cannot be as discerning as I would like regarding best prices paid to dairy farmers.

Both companies are one now I believe since muller took them over.

Right, plenty not going to agree here plenty slag people off on benefits but you would be surprised the amount farmers get, doing what they've chosen to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure