NST December: Debt Destruction December

Comments

• Long day at work followed by a Xmas dinner so not a NSD as needed petrol. Grateful for the milder weather so I didn't have a 200 mile journey on icey roads. Will try to have a NSD tomorrow and start with the decluttering. The house definitely needs it. Will also look at budgets for the month
    SPC #459 no 8 2015 £203 2016 £157 2017 £70
    starting mortgage £120,000 June 2012
    OP 2015 £5000, 2016 #57 £28866/ £25000
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Kerry Woman - sorry to hear about your mum - take care of yourself x

Toni'sFriend - have a lovely holiday, I hope the Lakes stay dry.

Badbookkeeper - I remember teaching my kids to tie their shoes and wondered at the time how anyone ever learns how to do it, it sounds so complicated.

Up super early today, had a big bowl of porridge and two large coffees and am now ready to go cycling. I plan to drop some books in at the library this morning and also post some ebay sales.

I have sold 3 things on ebay overnight so that is 3/31 items decluttered.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Check in 1/31 NSD 0/15

Debt - £100 paid off yesterday!!

Exterminate - I’m going to try and be more decisive, I’m a huge over thinker and I’d love to break that habit.

Clear up - I’m listing more items on flea bay this weekend and any money made from sales will come straight off my credit card debt. Will encourage DS to give any toys to charity he has outgrown.

Explore - I’m heading into the city today, will make sure I take in the sights and venture a little further than my usual route.

Mental health - I’m an anxious soul. I’m better busy than sat with lots of thinking time. I’m grateful for family and friends, a warm home and to be able to control my debt and stop it spiralling.

Budget - all set up on an excel spreadsheet, I love changing the font colour to green when it’s paid and adjusting the totals!!

Evaluate - it’s been a quiet and healthy 2017. I’m still having a think on aims for next year. Will update this section soon.

Remember - will find out details of a local food bank.

Enjoy Saturday 😊
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi all

Today is a spendy day as taking kids to York :j will stop at aldi & pick up a few bits to keep me ticking over until fri. So still on 1 :)

Keeping my savings goals in mind :) & fairly confident I can keep in budget next year. Big weakness is days out so i need to prioritise using passes I already have. Put money aside for sons christening think I can do it cheaper so extra funds will go to lapland UK tickets and using parents time share type thingy to go paris with them - keeping cost low but still living life with my babies :)

Bad habit- doing ok on my anxious thoughts:)

Clear out & remember- going to give some tins I got free to food bank :)

Explore & happiness- off tp York Xmas fayre and some light show I have tickets for Reviews are awful :rotfl: but I am going to be a good sport & make what I can out of it- 1st world problems!

Greatful for- friends, my son being so kind at only 2 and my super long scarf on cold days, although my toddler always takes it and snuggles it and it gets trampled on the ground. It washes though and he loves it, he doesnt trample it on purpose its just so long :):) I remind myself he wont want to snuggle into my scarf forever & I must cherish my kids being so small
  • Lauralozzle
    Lauralozzle Posts: 719 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 2 December 2017 at 12:00PM
    Didn’t manage to post yesterday was didn’t get home until Midnight. That’s Christmas party 1 underway. So, here’s the lowdown.

I have been paid - overpayment on Credit Card 1 Done. £850 in the joint account. I have a few engagements this month so I have allocated everything out to the last penny. I have a budget and I can’t go over it.

Debt Destruction - we should have made a significant dent in the Credit Cards by the end of 2018, but realistically, it’ll be 2019 until they are all cleared. I gave a plan though, ready and rearing to go.

Budget - £250 for food shopping including house bits.
    £50 entertainment budget (a trip to the cinema to see Star Wars when it’s out is on the cards).
    Personal budget - £10 a week spending money
    £50 per social outing (3 of them) cannot spend over this. When it’s gone it’s gone. I’ve managed to get out of one of them (I had 4 this month). Christmas is expensive.

Evaluate - this year has had its ups and downs. Family losses but also our wonderful wedding and marriage. The main goal this year as to save money for the wedding - we managed to save over £5,000. We have a little on the credit card and a lot more on another. Credit card 2 is leftover wedding spends (£2,256) Credit Card 3 is our Honeymoon as we put half cash/half credit card towards it (£787). I’ve managed a grab a better deal for our mortgage which reduce payments by just over £100. Will see the fruits of that in January.

Clear up - I like this goal. An item a day. Clearing the tip that is my house.

Explore - Must have/take more walks. We have some nice scenery/parks if you make the effort to walk to it and it does us and the dog good.

Mental Health - Try to be positive. Don’t let work stress me out. I must keRn how to say no. One of my supervisors acknowledged he’d given me so much to do the other week it left me exhausted and tired by Friday and I felt I’ll. All because I’m to scared to say no, I can’t do this. I’ll do it and just not have lunch to make the time, or stay later, or my new favourite - take my laptop home and work in the evening. It needs to stop. Now.

15 NSD is a good target. Fingers crossed I hit it!

Remember to take lunch to work every day. This is important. Must hit this target! Doing lunch the night before is always easier in the morning. Maybe I’ll set myself a target of not sitting down/relaxing until dinner sorted/kitchen cleaned and lunch for tomorrow made. We will see how that goes but it’s something I do need to improve on.

Xmas shopping - this will have to come out food shop (little bits) and leftover personal money. Have a budget of £50 for OH. I have some picture frames for parents presents (thinking wedding pictures). Otherwise, not a lot at all. Might have to get crafty and creative.

Yesterday was not a NSD as I had the first Christmas outing (staff work do). I have £10 left over from my budget so I’ll try and sort out a Christmas present with the leftovers. Expecting one NSD to start the ball rolling this weekend.

I’m grateful that I didn’t drink too much and therefore do not have a hangover!
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Massive hugs Kerry Woman, take care of both of you and make this as positive as you can and hope you get the love and support you need (family experience tells me that the palliative care staff are very good).

Sorry to be late to the party but have had two fall into bed nights. When I reported in on Thursday I was on the bed and apart from doing a bit of washing up, I stayed there.

Early start yesterday, but feeling sick and dizzy (may be tablets side effect but more likely to be the extensive bus riding and the chase to get my pills). Got ready slowly but steadily (had to stop and hold onto something if I went too fast - love that bathroom towel rail), then phoned mum. She wanted to come to town to do shopping, I wanted to go there with all my stuff (3 bags and a bin bag) and come back into town after the hairdresser had been. Phoned 4 times and got no reply so rather anxiously called the taxi and went there (I have been in this situation before). Mum had been in the shower and had not heard the phone.

Put away bread and milk (so Saturday visitor's can take some away if she is not going to use it all), rubbish in the bin (she has lots of room and we are struggling with a week and a half to go). Persuaded her to do Christmas cards for her partner's family (£10 per great-grandchild, but only a card for anyone else). I have also written the cards for mine and my brother's children but will sort them when we get back.

Hairdresser came did mum's hair and then mine. Not sure about mine (was very bouffant but after a night's sleep it's more flat with flicky up bits, more me and it's got to be better than bedraggled/ growing it out). I was expecting a spendy day but mum decided to pay for both of us. We ate, finished off the cards and travelled into town.

Also put the label on mum's suitcase, found her toiletries bag, left the case open on the table so she can pack easily, phoned to make my annula foot appointment, tried to order flowers (answering machine) and contacted the WTC people as they have sent me a letter saying they will continue to pay me (a reduced amount) when i think it should have stopped altogether and that I owe them. He fed the information into the computer and I will get another letter but he thinks it is right (treating the Carer's Allowance as income and I am still well under the threshold). Won't be spending the money yet, they can demand it back at anytime, even if they have made the errrors.

Mum sailed ahead with her walker, I followed behind with two heavy bags and more were added. Shop was widely distributed but done in a logical order. We got through mum's short list plus a few items she thought of/ saw as we went round. Slipper and shoes (look like shoes, feel like slippers), new skirt and trousers, Christmas card for the person who gave her the cards she is using, owl rucksack for me (she was looking in the shoe shop window after we came out and suggested I have a smaller rucksack - she doesn't like me using a rucksack but she wants to put her sandwiches in mine on Monday - it's much easier as it leaves me handsfree when I am helping her) which I had seen (for the past 2 years) on a stall on the market, new bag for her, tissues and finally flowers, one lot to be delivered and one lot delivered by me.

Taxi was a half an hour wait but the florist let us stay inside - mum kept offering to let me have a turn sitting on her walker but didn't get up.

Went home, ate leftover curry, went out to mum's cousin's with the flowers and her birthday card (good chat and offer of a puppy loan - they are minding their daughter's all day Mon- Fri) and posted a letter to the I.O.M. That meant when I got back in I could take off my trainers and rest my poor aching feet (back, shoulders, ankles). Fell asleep twice fully clothed, twice more before I managed to take my glasses off and turn off the light by then it was 4 minutes past midnight and still ready to keep on sleeping.

For yeaterday I am grateful for leftover curry (it was comforting every time I thought about it), for a haircut (10 years since anyone but me has done it), for my new owl bag which makes me smile, for a proper sleep and not needing to be anywhere early so that I could relax without worrying about waking up or sleeping too long.

Have my plan for the month and a report for today but may break off as there is a parcel for DS1 waiting at the post office.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Day 2
    NSD 1/15
    Sadly my darling Mummy passed away this morning. Very emotional time for me and my family. My sister, my brother and his wife came down to spend time together and to start to sort things out. They have been very supportive and helpful. We are pulling together.
    Grateful for:
    My wonderful life with my Mummy.
    For my family being here.
    For @rgos agreeing to have something I ordered for my Mum to be picked up and agreeing to give me a refund.
    For the undertakers who were very kind. Someone who my Mum and I know works for them and have asked for him to deal with things.
    For friends being supportive.
    For the support on this thread.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,859 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    NSD 0/15

Debt destruction: Checked credit card balance before the bill is due, paid it down to £100 - I am accruing M&S points for vouchers. Other credit card on £0. Went to Her0n, Ald1 and The Son of Morris and was home again before 10.30.

Exterminate one bad habit from your life for the first 10 days.
    Day 2 of no Fakebook.

Clear up, clean up and take control.
    Put up the tree, chucked what was broken. Asked the kids to do stuff - they have not. The tree lists to the left. It has character but I fear it is the last year it will do any kind of service. Made meal plans, shopped, spent £44 between all the shops and have £25 in my purse. Will try not to spend any more than that unless it is for a present for a person on my list.

Explore your local area – Instead of driving 3 miles up the road to go to the Ald1 near the kids school that I usually go to, I went to the one across country which is closer. I found the old Filbert St Leicester City football ground, the county cricket ground, and found out that Raw Dykes Road (snigger) is the site of a Roman Aqueduct. So there you go.

Mental health. Really good considering that everyone in my house is a bah-hum!!!!!!. Entertained myself by putting the Xmas song station on the radio before going out to do the shopping, and knowing that anyone who was not up yet would find it on when they came down for breakfast.

Budget EVERYTHING before you start the month.
    Can't. Will do everything as frugally as possible but MOTs and services and car insurances and what the kids want for Xmas is all a huge unknown at the moment
    Will pin them down asap.

Evaluate
    Weight loss was good, but I let the gym slip and forgot to stop eating. so am back where I started. The good thing is I know how to get rid of it. I am just rubbish at keeping it off. So at least I am aware of my weaknesses, but also aware I have the tools to do the job. I just need to DO IT

Remember that l this is a difficult time for many. - My problems are nothing in the great scheme of things.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,859 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Day 2
    NSD 1/15
    Sadly my darling Mummy passed away this morning.

Oh Kerry, I am so so sorry for your loss, but also glad that your mum made it home where she wanted to be and was surrounded by your love.

Take good care of you right now. Remember all the good times, and talk of her often. It will be hard so be patient with yourself.

We are all here for you.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Kerry Woman - so sorry to hear of your loss. Take time and be kind to yourself xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport