Is it right that some must sell their homes to pay care home costs?

Options
124»

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    williamkn wrote: »
    I am almost 81, very sound brain but body not so good. I own a fairly large house that my son now lives in and I live in a 2 bed flat that my son owns, works very well for both of us. We made the move 2 years ago, my wife died 5 years ago. No way will I ever go into a care home,

If I am getting to feel that I am not able to cope with looking after myself I will ensure that I don't continue to exist. Simples. Alcohal, pills, plastic bag, jump off cliff, whatever. I feel it my duty not to continue leading a useless life, what is the point. No way am I going to be a burden to my family or The State. :j

Didn't you think of changing the ownership of the properties when you swapped homes? As things stand now, if you do have to go into residential care, it's your son's home that will be put at risk.

It's easy to think that these things are under your control but, if you have a debilitating stroke tomorrow, you may no longer have the ability to end your own life. If you go into a gradual decline, you may go beyond being able to do what you want before you realise what's happening.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I am not against the house being sold to pay for care but I do not believe it should be done in that person's lifetime against their will. We should all be allowed hope, take it away and you take away the will to live. Consideration should also be given to a relative who has acted as a carer and lived at home.

Of course, the individual can consider their carer and make provision for them.

In terms of when a house should be sold, surely there needs to be some balance between retaining home of a return home for an older person and not allowing a property to sit empty (and deteriorating) indefinitely? Perhaps the current 12 week period should be longer, but I'm not sure that having *a* definite period is necessarily a bad or cruel thing to do.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • pippinpuss
    pippinpuss Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have worked all my life & have paid NI contributions to pay for my care, if needed. I have paid for my home, saved my money wisely. Gone without many luxuries. (new cars, holidays, bigger house)
    Why should people who have squandered their money be entitled to 'free' care when I would be expected to pay.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    Of course, the individual can consider their carer and make provision for them.

In terms of when a house should be sold, surely there needs to be some balance between retaining home of a return home for an older person and not allowing a property to sit empty (and deteriorating) indefinitely? Perhaps the current 12 week period should be longer, but I'm not sure that having *a* definite period is necessarily a bad or cruel thing to do.

Lets be clear here, if a local authority has funded a 12 week disregard and the resident has been in the home for 12 weeks they won't be returning home. There is no need to keep it for that reason.
  • Kelly12314
    Options
    Moving to a Retirement Home is indeed a big decision.One must go through certain steps before making this decision.My uncle is 79 and he lives in one of the best Retirement homes in Ottawa.They take care of all these things. Their staff members are well trained and fully dedicated to serving the seniors. Ottawa retirement homes provide a range of services to ensure the comfort and safety of resident.
  • gayleygoo
    gayleygoo Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    pippinpuss wrote: »
    I have worked all my life & have paid NI contributions to pay for my care, if needed. I have paid for my home, saved my money wisely. Gone without many luxuries. (new cars, holidays, bigger house)
    Why should people who have squandered their money be entitled to 'free' care when I would be expected to pay.

Once again, the assumption that poor people "squander" their money. Perhaps it's more of an issue that many people just don't have the money to squander in the first place. My OH works, I raise the kids, I hope one day to have a career, but that affords us few luxuries. We may never be able to afford a mortgage, so if anything is squandered it is the rent, which I'll probably have to pay all my days anyway. We certainly don't spend frivolously.

In a capitalist society such as the UK, the "rich" will benefit most of time. The "rich" want it all. The right to earn lots of money, save it all up and buy a pile of bricks with it. To then pass it on to kids who may not be prepared to look after them in old age. Therefore, they want the state to pay for their care despite them having had the choice all those years what to do with their money. There's far more people in the UK who don't have this luxury, and that's what NI contributions are for. To ensure that poor people don't die all over the streets.

My kids probably won't have anything to inherit, but I think it's silly to expect any sort of inheritance from parents. If the kids want the house, then either they can care for their aging parents and have their inheritance, or give it up and pass the responsibility onto someone else.
    It is necessary for the taxpayer to fund people who cannot afford their care, but not necessary for the taxpayer to pay for the inheritance of the more affluent families!

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business