Housekeeping budget

13»

Comments

• our family is my wife, kids aged 14, 10 , my 17 year old son & myself. (5 of us)

Our weekly spend includes food, including for pack ups, dog food, drinks, a couple of bottles of wine etc - we try and stick to £150 but sometimes it is £175 a week . Lots of forum users will tell you different - depends a lot on how much you earn, what money is available without spending more than you earn.
    Its pointless saying , housekeeping budget is £200 a week if you can only afford £150.

I know how difficult it is to make it work and stick to a budget - i took the family out for a meal tonight as a treat to a brewers fayre pub 5 of us - drinks and main courses , 1 starter - bill came to £82.00 !!!!
  • GobbledyGook
    GobbledyGook Posts: 2,195 Forumite
    There's no real point asking what other people spend because spending is only relevant to your income.

Our monthly spending is higher than yours, but our household income can deal with that.

Imo a budget shouldn't be excluding all the things you mentioned. It should be you and your lovely wife sat down together and working out your income then all of your expenditure to the point that you are both happy with the budget set.

Being the breadwinner doesn't always mean being the one who should get the final say on financial matters. My husband was our 'breadwinner', but without my uni place and career being sacrificed he couldn't have the career he has, the children we have and the lifestyle we had. So he might have been working hard for the wage, but I worked just as hard to help him get there.
  • The OP hasn't actually been back since he posted this (last October) so I don't think he's at all interested in what we think. Goodness knows why he asked in the first place.
  • Well I think the OP came looking for advice and got a mouth full saying he lives in the 50's.
    Maybe scared off
    The OP hasn't actually been back since he posted this (last October) so I don't think he's at all interested in what we think. Goodness knows why he asked in the first place.
    2013-Swag bucks £10 Qmee £2.17 App Trailers 1.23 not a huge amount but better than nothing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure