PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2017 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Comments

• Aberdeen5
    Aberdeen5 Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2017 at 5:15PM
    409 -415. Clothes recycled

One more box down from the loft with bits

416 - 425. Screws and bolts to garage
    426. Another packet of golf tee to garage
    427 430. 5 Xmas bows to Christmas box
    431. 434. Elastic bands to stationery drawer
    435. £1.51. In coins at bottom of box. (Put in purse)
    436 2.25 Euro put in holiday box
    437 441 . 5 Xmas presents bought in January put in the loft

442 444. Toiletries finished

445. One years accounts finished and excess papers /receipts shredded
    446 448. 3 birthday cards used
    449. Present from stash
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    A few more bits today :

79 diffuser
    80 cushion
    81-83 cardboard boxes
    84-88 Empty / dried up toiletries
    89 big handful of son's drawings
  • Fiasco55
    Fiasco55 Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 March 2017 at 5:38PM
    Playing catch up here. Best I can remember is...

278. Porefessional used up
    279. Shower gel used up
    280. Eye gel binned
    281. Eye cream used up
    282. Put toilet roll away from Costco run
    283-284. Toiletries donated to cs
    285. Lamp dropped off at owners
    286-308. OOD food binned!!
    309-312. Boxes recycled
    313-319. Bottles recycled
    320. Bottle of bleach used up
    321. Paperwork filed
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • So i have spent today sorting out my wardrobe, and the various bags and their contents, yet again :rotfl:

A lot tidier now in and around the wardrobe.

I have took my work clothes off the hangers and opted for folding instead. I just don't think it needs to be hung up, it's just t shirt style tops and fleeces so nothing that can get creased too easily :o

All of my blue and black pairs of jeans are hung as i wear them to work but my coloured pairs are folded.

All of my dresses/my suit/my smart tops are hung which i want like that but most of my normal tops/tshirts are hung apart from cami/vest tops which are folded but I'm not sure i really want it like that, but i can't think how else to do it! Any ideas? :o

I don't have any drawer storage in my room at all(apart 3 very small drawers in my desk which already have things in them that i want there), just 3 rails and 3 shelves in my wardrobe :eek:
  • skint_chick
    skint_chick Posts: 872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

All of my dresses/my suit/my smart tops are hung which i want like that but most of my normal tops/tshirts are hung apart from cami/vest tops which are folded but I'm not sure i really want it like that, but i can't think how else to do it! Any ideas? :o

I don't have any drawer storage in my room at all(apart 3 very small drawers in my desk which already have things in them that i want there), just 3 rails and 3 shelves in my wardrobe :eek:

If you have space on the shelves then you could fold your tops, if not and you prefer them folded then one of those shoe cubby things that hangs from the rail then you can fold them in the cubbys.

Decluttered 4 bin liners to the skip today full of OH's shredded paperwork, football boots with broken studs, old yellowing pillow, old soft toy that smelled mostly empty toiletry bottles of products no-one uses, broken rabbit litter tray, and some other junk plus 2 bags with broken zips he'd been hoarding and another framed picture that reminds me of my ex. Put up a replacement picture which I love, finished organising my stationery into my new desk and recycled 2 more plastic containers I don't need.

The house is almost finished, my study has just one shelf, a pinboard, and the desk with my sewing machine and printer at the side of the desk.

The spare room has an empty wardrobe and drawers that were there when I moved in and are too heavy to remove - and I'm going to paint them with chalk furniture paint. Our suitcases and travel stuff are under the spare bed. Even my boiler cupboard now only has the Christmas stuff and some wrapping paper. Everywhere looks a bit empty, everything is contained now. There's just an old tv unit and some decorative vases with pebbles to go to the charity shop on Monday, and then I'm taking a few weeks off decluttering. I will be focusing on throwing out smaller items as I realise I don't need them now that the big changes are done.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have had a bitty day today.Did get a couple of worthwhile jobs done,but the house still looks a bit chaotic :D.I like my SUndays because OH goes out with all 4 kids,and I really blitz the house,in whichever way I fell like:maybe thorough clean throughout,maybe declutter,maybe sort through piles of papers,maybe got to the tip,or do grocery shop.........

However ,my Sunday to myself is going to be cut short,because a neighbour asked if I could babysit for them from about 5.30pm.So I really need to focus on whatever I chose to do tomorrow.No wasting hours on MSE and procrastinating........

So today:
    sorted out younger daughters' book corner.As well as there being large book-case,shoved in front of that was a trofast unit,holding nothing in particular.I knew I would be able to empty the buckets in it,put toys in other trofast units in the room,and dis-assemble the unit,maybe sell it.While I wasin that corner of doom,I decluttered
    439:a slap-band that we bought for Rememberance day.I really did feel dreadfully disrespectful throwing it away,but wasn't sure what else to do-it wa going to kick around the house for years otherwise.I told myself the Royal Legion got the donation for it,but still felt bad
    440:tubes of Halloween make-up: binned
    441:pair of cheap plastic scissors that look like they've come off the front of a kid's magazine: binned
    442-458:17 books from the bookshelf,that kids have ddefinitely grown out of
    459:a cookbook I found while I was looking for something else

460-498:
    Another job I did was look through the bags of clothes youngest daughters had decluttered from their wardrobes last weekend.Set aside any that i knew would go to the rag bag,and bundled up 3 supermarket bags of clothes

I drove the books and clothes to charity shop this afternoon.Good to have out of the house.

Another job I did this afternoon was sort out phones,phone boxes and chargers.Not sure if I have mentioned before,but in early October I bought a new mobile to replace my 4yo one.By late October,I had dropped and smashed said replacement phone,and needed to claim replacement under insurance.Then,when I was out with kids spending their Christmas money,a few days after Christmas,My phone actually broke while being carried around in my jacket pocket,despite having a "military grade" screen protector,and being in a silicone phone case :eek:.

SO,for a few months,I have had spare pretty boxes,instructions,warranties,a contract,chargers,etc,sitting all together in a couple of the original paper bags the original phones came in,which was now ripped.

I did two jobs in one.I stored all my phone chargers and earphones (I now have about 4 brand new chargers and sets of earphones,cos each new phone came with one),and charger for my camera,and for my video camers,in a plastic box from IKea that has been sitting around empty for nearly 12months.It has removable dividers,so I could make each division the shape I needed (video camera charger is very big,for example).So this cleared up a big clutter in my house,which I am pleased about.

I am also going to count the three boxes that I recycled as aresult og thid exercise,because I have always hated throwing out strong,expensive looking boxes like this.I have always held onto them,just because they look expensive,even though I may never use them-just put them in the loft.So going to count 499-501for these.
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Saver-upper
    I am trying to get into the habit of decluttering papers when I sit down to watch TV in the evening.Over the last couple of months,I have cetainly found enoughof them,and put them all aside.
    502:an assortment of recipes I had pulled out of magazines or photocopied from book years ago!!I found recipes from magazines/newspapers dated 1997 :eek:.Never used,so they have been mostly put out for recycling.A few I did keep,either for my 13yo to try (has been really enjoying learning to cook the last month or so),or because they were recipes I had found when I went to Slimming World.There was always alot of recipe swapping going on there,so I kept a few of those.

• eandjsmum
    eandjsmum Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nothing done this weekend. Tidied Garden so Broken flower pots have been recycled and leaves swept up. Dead hose plants have been thrown out. Threw out a pair of OH rotten underpants. Have a small pile of paperwork to sort through and a very large pile of washing:D.

Still busy using up toiletries though and no shopping done this weekend so nothing has come into the house apart from food
  • Saver-upper
    A busy day today.Got lots done (and still got ironing to do when I get back home from babysitting tonight!).

Tidied,dusted,including skirting boards,vacuumed every room in the house except both bathrooms,though they are okay at the moment.Also did 4 loads of washing,including the last of the sofa covers (both sofa itself ,and all the cusions-been doing the rest of them over the last 2weeks),and some bedding.

Declutter-wise,only a few bits have left the house:
    503-505:3 kid's fishing nets.They have been propped up behind the wicker basket in the front room.Behind,but still visible.I have just got to the stage where I am asking myself why are we holding onto these?Do I really need them as afeature in my newly-decluttered front room?Would rather bin them,and buy new ones (for about £1 each!) if we decide we need them.
    To be honest,I haven't actually binned them yet.I have hidden them in the boot of my car,because these are the types of thing my OH would say "why are you throwing those out?",then take them to his man-cave,if he saw them in our outside bin.I will wait til he has left for work in the morning,then put them in the bin,which will be collected/ emptied before he gets home :D.
    506-507:tiny spinning top and fake flower,found in the girls' bedroom when tidying,binned
    508:after kids I am babysitting tonight went to bed,I read a few magazine/newspaper articles I had saved when sorting through old papers a couple of weeks ago.They had been sitting on the arm of sofa in my newly-decluttered front room,and were gettting annoying now.WHen I retunr home tonight I will drop them into recycling bin before entering the house
    509:tonight I have also sorted through a plastic expanding folder that,a couple of years ago I had used to store those papers I didn't necessarily need every day,but may need to refer to later,or I just didn't want to let go just yet.Tonight I have set aside for recycling 3-4 yo notes from Scouts,school,etc,recipes,other random bits.ALso found an envelope containing cards showing toys I had sold at a tabletop sale,and the receipt showing how much I had earnt that day after paying for the table (why do I keep these things??).I have kept some old receipts from school just in case,and lots of certificates and awards and school reports for all 4 kids.I do have "a folder" for each child's certificates,etc,which I kept up with everytime a new certificate etc came home.Now,since being back in the house,there a bundles of these papers in different locations all over the house.I am gradually coralling them all together,and will eventually put them all in their rightful folders.

• purplevamp
    purplevamp Posts: 10,327 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    purplevamp wrote: »
    51) Amazon sale

Not much to report, having been feeling delicate today as I used up nearly a whole bottle of prosecco last night :cool: :o

52) Kids jeans (ebay)
    53) Book (ebay)
    54) Kids jacket (ebay)
    55) Bottle of sink unblocker (used up as sink was blocked!!)
    56) Mens toiletries packaging...from Christmas :eek:
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £92,275.21 Jul 2037
    Swagbucks ~ £100 (2023 ~ £355)
    Surveys ~ £77.55 (2023 ~ £344.20)
    Make £2024 in 2024 #35 ~ £246.61 ~ (2023 ~ £2,224.70)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure