Thistle's Mission

Comments

• I need to nip out to get some blister plasters for my DD in preparation for tomorrow's DoE trip, aside from that I'll just be pottering around the house today. I need to stay in as Mr Thistle's injections are due to be delivered between 10 and 5. They need to be kept refrigerated so it is important that I am here.

Once I fold the last lot of laundry, I will have officially conquered the mountain of dirty clothes my son left behind. :j

I really want to take the car for a spin but can't justify wasting the petrol. We'll be driving for about 1 1/2 hours round trip tomorrow anyway taking DD to where she needs to be to start her DoE adventure. It's near a lovely little town filled with antique shops, so Mr Thistle and I are planning on having a wander before returning home. I'm going to check out some welsh dresser prices while I'm there, two shops in particular always have a fair amount of vintage ones for sale. I probably wouldn't pay their prices but it's always fun to have a look!

My leg is aching quite badly today, the transition from summer to autumn weather seems to set the pain and inflammation off something terrible. I'm glad I'm seeing the Dr tonight, he'll have the results of my blood tests. This Dr seems determined to get to the bottom of things. My last Dr (who was incredibly overworked) always had a glazed look in his eyes and his main goal seemed to be to get me out of his office as soon as possible...:(
    :happylove
  • Smolly
    Smolly Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Good luck Thistle at the Dr's tonight. Your last doctor (he of glazed eyes) sounds just like mine!

If you've got a Meriva by the way - isn't that just about the right size to fit a welsh dresser in? Ooh just think - your trip tomorrow might involve bringing something back with you! I used to have a Meriva - I loved that car but sadly it died a premature death. That's when we started buying 'make do' cars for a few years. I now have a little Peugeot. In all honesty I really don't like it but it keeps going bless it.

Take care and hope you have a lovely day xx
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83, Nov 16 £27,961.98, Dec 16 £26,977.66, Jan 17 £26,884.76
    EF #205 £0/£1000
  • I hope all goes well at the doctors. I totally understand wanting to take the car out for a spin!!! I also completely understand the thought of wasted petrol too. I had to go into town yesterday - drove to the usual park and ride (which is pretty close so I usually just walk from there and pay nothing!) but they had no spaces so I had to drive to another park and ride and then pay for the tram! I was seething inside at all that wasted petrol and the tram ticket.

Yey for Welsh Dresser looking :) even if it's just for a nosey!!!
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • Lol Smolly! Yes I think a welsh dresser would fit in the back of the Meriva, but I only have £37 saved so far and they generally are priced at well over £200 in this town. Still, I'm looking forward to the day out and Mr Thistle says we can have breakfast out somewhere, so that's exciting! ;)

That's annoying Lauralozzle - I feel your pain! :D I denied myself the pleasure of a trip in the car, though I did admire it when I took Thistlepup out for a walk. There's no parking on our street so we need to park it about a 10 min walk away where parking is unrestricted.

I only did the little bit of laundry and otherwise spent the time learning new songs, or re-learning songs I used play. I definitely need to focus on getting more local gigs this winter, which means mainly pubs, which means my set list should have 50% or less originals and the rest covers. I rarely play covers at festivals and folk clubs, but it is kind of fun finding ways to play pop type stuff on the acoustic guitar.

I'm leaving for my appt in about 1/2 hour, just having a mug of homemade soup now and will make proper dinner once I get home.
  • This morning was lovely. After dropping DD off, we found a small cafe serving a tasty full english breakfast (including two proper butcher's Lincolnshire sausages) for £3.95! Had a wander around the secondhand/antique shops and smirked to myself at the prices they were charging. I did find a metal Kenwood Chef mixing bowl with a k beater and whisk for £4, I should be able to sell them on ebay for £18-20 ish so was quite pleased.,

I saw one Welsh dresser I sort of liked, it was £158 which was not too bad, but I didn't like it well enough to buy it. And of course I only had £37...:o

I was excited to spot a Next lilac hoodie in a charity shop for £3.99. I thought it was a bit expensive, but it is in excellent condition, fits me really well, and will go with a lot of my shirts. I know I will get a lot of use out of it, so paid up and was happy.

The Dr wants me to wear a 24 hour heart monitor to be safe but said the first EKG and my blood results didn't show anything of much concern, in fact he said most of the results were better than they have been for a long time. My kidney function has improved, which he was not expecting. With Lupus, once the kidney damage has started they do not get better, and continue to get worse. He's wondering if the "probable" Lupus diagnosis isn't correct and how many of my symptoms could be attributed to hormone changes with menopause or something else entirely.

He's given me the go ahead to start exercising and said I should work my way up to two hours a day, 3 days a week and think of it as something I will need to do for the rest of my life. Apparently it is much better for your body than 1 hour a day, 6 days a week. Not sure why, though he did say I could split it up into two hour sessions as long as they were on the same day.

Now Mr Thistle and I have the house to ourselves until tomorrow afternoon. He wants to get a curry tonight as we didn't really do anything for our anniversary. I begrudge spending £30 on a takeaway but we do it maybe once or twice a year, so I may be swayed. We're going to wrap up in blankets and watch movies on TV. :)
  • Smolly
    Smolly Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Mmmm... wrapped up in blankets, movies, curry, house to yourselves....sounds like bliss Thistle. Enjoy!

Well done on your kenwood and next finds. Love a good bargain and am often seen scouring charity shops for the odd gem that will sell on eBay. I once bought myself a crochet cardigan from a charity shop for £1.50. Heaven knows why as it really wasn't me. I ended up putting it on eBay and it sold for £40! I was gob-smacked! It wasn't a great brand name or anything - I think it was just the style of it. That was a few years ago now. I think people now are a lot more conservative with their money!

Keep up with the Welsh dresser fund whenever you can - it may be a case of the Welsh dresser finding you rather than you it!

I felt quite exhausted reading about you needing to build up to 2 hours' exercise a day. What exercise will you do? I think you have mentioned cycling before? In all honesty anyone who can do a couple of hours' exercise deserves a medal.

Anyway hope you enjoy the rest of your day and take it easy xx
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83, Nov 16 £27,961.98, Dec 16 £26,977.66, Jan 17 £26,884.76
    EF #205 £0/£1000
  • Wow Smolly, that's a great profit! Nice!!! If only I could find a few items like that a week, I'd have the dresser in no time! I know a lot about about vintage Kenwood Chef mixers and old kitchenalia, but that's about it. I used to make a decent amount of money buying that kind of thing locally and selling on ebay. Maybe I should look into doing that again.
    Smolly wrote: »
    I felt quite exhausted reading about you needing to build up to 2 hours' exercise a day. What exercise will you do? I think you have mentioned cycling before? In all honesty anyone who can do a couple of hours' exercise deserves a medal.

I already take the dog for a walk every day, usually for 25-45 mins so will extend that to an hour every day to begin with. As for the second hour, possibly on the bike....? Though I'll probably only manage 15 mins at first.

I used to be very into cycling, I did a lot of racing and long distance riding when I was younger. I have a wind trainer and three bikes (though I should probably sell one, and the money could all go into the dresser fund) so as the weather gets colder I can put my road bike on the wind trainer and use it as an indoor exercycle type thing. If I keep it up, once the spring comes my fitness level will probably be good enough for me to do the whole two hours on the bike.

I promised myself that I would do the Land's End to John O'Groats ride before my 60th bday, and I'd like to do one of the Coast to Coast rides in the next couple of years. That will only happen if I actually get back on the bike and get healthy again, so I may as well make a start... :o
  • Look at you! Bargain hunter & sensible shopper to boot!

So glad your medical results are all improving.

I also need to start being more active, I am a lozy so & so!

Hope you enjoyed your curry & movie night.

Dxxx
  • Thanks Dolly - it was a lovely chilled night, and now we are relaxing with coffee and doing very little.

I have no plans for today, other than taking Thistlepup out for an hour's walk and a small load of laundry so DD has a clean school uniform and PE kit for tomorrow. I love do-nothing or do-little days. ;)

Monday through Thursday will be different - I will work on the pile in the dining room and list things on ebay. If I have the energy and determination (neither is guaranteed :o ) I could actually get it finished. I also need to finalise a set list as I have an important gig on Friday night, this won't take too long though as I really just need to run through the order of songs and figure out the timing. It will probably be my best opportunity yet to sell CDs, so I want to be prepared!
  • Have a fab relaxing day. I plan on the very same - sometimes you just need to do very little.

Good job on taking up more exercise too - this is something I need to improve! I wear my Fitbit regularly but I hardly ever get to 10,000 steps (which is my goal!) increasing the dog walk to an hour seems like a good dea (and one I think I'll adopt!)
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family