Running costs for an aga

Comments

• venton
    venton Posts: 1 Newbie
    30amp model costs £2 a day on Economy 7.
    There is nothing 'wasted' as it heats the kitchen and background heat for whole house.
    This is fine for UK where Summer consists of 2 weeks of sunshine, and the rest of the year is dull and wet.
    Oven always ready. Does the ironing on top. Keeps down condensation. No electric kettle or extractor hood needed.
    Purchase price is very high though, but if you can afford it, it is a lovely thing to go down in the morning to.
    And the food it can produce is outstanding.
    People who say it's just for posing are wrong I'm afraid. Yes it is a luxury, but does that mean we shouldn't have one?
  • richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My ex partner's mother had an aga in the kitchen. Lovely and warm all the time in there but the gas bills were approx £300 a month in the summer then in the winter £500!! They are very expensive to run!
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • BERBY
    BERBY Posts: 12 Forumite
    Have a look at the Electrickit conversion that is claimed to run at less than £1/day it is warm in winter and cool in summer. Cornish cooker conversions
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    BERBY wrote: »
    Have a look at the Electrickit conversion that is claimed to run at less than £1/day it is warm in winter and cool in summer. Cornish cooker conversions

"cool in summer" err, you mean it provides aircon. as well? I'd better get one!
  • We have the 13 amp aims 3 oven model. Costing about £3 a day so far. Which is worth every penny. Our kitchen is north facing and was always damp and cold, even in the summer! Now nice and dry, even with washing drying over night and clothes airing.

The kettle is always warm being kept on the top then takes a minute to boil. We were paying £80 a month for LPG gas now we have a log burner which heats the water and the radiator and we get the logs for free so although more work for me is offsetting the running cost for the AGA.

Initially I wasn't sold on the whole AGA thing but now having experienced the lifestyle it creates I love it
  • joerugby wrote: »
    We have a four oven Aga powered by gas which seems to cost about £50 per month to run.

It is on all the time and keeps the kitchen as warm as toast throughout the winter. It is one of life's pleasures. On Sunday when it was freezing outside our kitchen was so welcoming. It's the heart of the house.

Without it I don't know where we would dry our wet clothes after a walk in the rain, or where I would warm my jacket before putting it on to walk the dog on a frosty morning. And the food is delicious ........ .................

We generally only heat the rest of the house during the evenings. How much we save from that I'm not sure but it must be a fair bit. We also no longer use electricity for cooking or boiling the kettle.

I've no doubt that there is a net cost overall, in fact I don't really want to know how much, it's worth it!

Why is it that so many supporters of the Aga cookers write and speak as if they are living a country lifestyle where:
    a) their life is mostly full of walking dogs in the cold
    b) warming up in front of the Aga in the kitchen
    c) their life is mostly in the kitchen where warming up is the activity (I guess they don't need to work, do other things like running, reading, working on the computer....except warming up!)
    d) their life reads like a story book: only involves cooking, warming up by the stove, and drinking hot coco/tea and eating biscuits.

I want to ask:
    a) are you guys characters out of an E. Nesbitt novel?
    b) are you running your life or is the Aga running your life?
    c) is your house a one-room kitchen since you seem to spend only your time warming up in front of the kitchen.

And by the way, you can dry all your wet clothes any where you can hang dry anything! You don't need an Aga for THAT! I hang dry my clothes indoors without an Aga!

Truth be told, I think some of these Aga afficionados imagine they live a storybook life of walking dogs, warming up in front of the stove, drinking hot milk, and munching on crumpets. The hell with having to live a real life of going out to work, buy groceries, do laundry, etc. because well...you know...great granddaddy gave me all the money I need for three lifetimes!

GOOD GOD!
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 August 2013 at 11:27PM
    lansing wrote: »
    Truth be told, I think some of these Aga afficionados imagine they live a storybook life of walking dogs, warming up in front of the stove, drinking hot milk, and munching on crumpets. The hell with having to live a real life of going out to work, buy groceries, do laundry, etc. because well...

My wife does all the above (with a bit of help from me.)

She says hello, by-the-way. :p

aga01.jpg
  • Lansing, you really are a miserable jealous f**k-wit.

However I do have similar feelings towards people who drive white Range Rover Sports but the majority of my dislike is saved for cyclists, I have a funny feeling you might be a lycra Nazi!

All the best.
  • Mi6hael
    Mi6hael Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 20 March 2014 at 9:16AM
    We have a 4 oven AGA running on Calor gas. The running cost is huge. I had 1001 litres of gas delivered 6 weeks ago at a cost of over £650 and it has all gone. We run the central heating for only 5 hours a day on a low setting, but the AGA is on 24 hours a day. I would estimate the running cost of the AGA at around £50 per week or £2,500 per year.
    An AGA is useless if you want to prepare anything other than pies and baking. A stir-fry is hopeless as there is no heat in the hob after heating the rice, so you have to cook that an hour earlier and put it in the warming oven, so you can close the lid to allow the hob to reheat. Don't by one under any circumstances.
  • Smiley_Dan
    Smiley_Dan Posts: 948 Forumite
    To be fair Mi6hael, if you're cooking rice on the hob you're using your Aga wrong. I highly recommend http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Book-Aga-Know-how/dp/1904573231 for fundamental techniques. To cook a stir fry you need an absolutely flat bottomed wok. The boiling plate should be easily enough to cope, it's probably the hottest plate available in domestic kitchens.

However, you're right about the running cost. You're on an expensive fuel, but even running with oil it still works out costly. Aga say something in the region of 40 litres a week, as if that's some kind of achievement. That's a huge amount!

The main issue is that the burner is only 50-55% efficient, whereas oil boilers will typically be at least 80% efficient. If it was close to that I wouldn't necessarily mind having it on all the time. Anyway, we switched ours off due to the cost.

What I'd really like to see is Aga acknowledge the growth in energy generation and release models that allow proportional heating similar to the way immersion heaters can be wired to PV panels, turbines and that sort of thing. Would make them less costly to run.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure