PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Comments

• Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I now use a metal water bottle with a special lid so that I no longer have to buy water in a plastic bottle. (I try to think that I am also helping to save the planet as well as money).
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Have encouraged local butcher to save his chicken carcasses for us. Every so often we get a free carrier bag full of them and cook them down for delicious stock for soups and risottos.
  • I am annoyed by the cost of face powder, so I made a mixture I had read about on the internet: baking powder mixed with powdered cinnamon to add a little colour. Don't laugh immediately....I find it perfectly adequate. |You have to make sure it does not "clump" on the face, so I rub it in with an old powder puff.
  • tenuissent wrote: »
    I am annoyed by the cost of face powder, so I made a mixture I had read about on the internet: baking powder mixed with powdered cinnamon to add a little colour. Don't laugh immediately....I find it perfectly adequate. |You have to make sure it does not "clump" on the face, so I rub it in with an old powder puff.

Does it make you smell like Christmas? :)
  • Was recently on holiday in Canada and noticed in the outside restaurants they had brown paper bags hanging from the sun parasols. I was told that these keep the wasps away - and apparently it works! so no need to make up paper mache.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    AlisonW wrote: »
    Does it make you smell like Christmas? :)
    No bad thing!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse wrote: »
    No bad thing!

Absolutely.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    tenuissent wrote: »
    I am annoyed by the cost of face powder, so I made a mixture I had read about on the internet: baking powder mixed with powdered cinnamon to add a little colour. Don't laugh immediately....I find it perfectly adequate. |You have to make sure it does not "clump" on the face, so I rub it in with an old powder puff.

I read somewhere that cocoa powder makes a very suitable bronzer. I offer this untested.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    One of the things I do is to write the date opened on toiletries, makeup and cleaning products, together with how long the last one lasted. That way, I know when I need to buy the replacement without having to stockpile or, worse, running out first. In addition, it gives me an incentive to try to make a product last just a little bit longer than the last one did.

I also do this with dried goods (herbs, spices, rice, flour and baking power), sticking labels onto their Tupperware storage containers.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Caterina wrote: »
    I read somewhere that cocoa powder makes a very suitable bronzer. I offer this untested.
    I'm sure that during WW2 ladies would use an infusion of tea leaves to apply to their legs, to imitate the look of stockings. A line drawn up the back of the leg with an eyebrow pencil completed the look :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback