Employers can only reject your request for the following reasons

the burden of additional costs
    an inability to reorganise work amongst existing staff
    an inability to recruit additional staff
    a detrimental impact on quality
    a detrimental impact on performance
    detrimental effect on ability to meet customer demand
    insufficient work for the periods the employee proposes to work
    a planned structural changes to the business.

I would make an application and wait and see what the official response is, If its not one of the above reasons then appeal, Citing the above, and reasons why it doesnt they cant then change the reason, That's exactly what I had to do in my work
    Its not difficult for the employer to make one of those reasons fit and if the employee doesn't agree then they'd need to go to a tribunal and realistically most of the time this isn't happening and even then doesn't mean a change will be made.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Its not difficult for the employer to make one of those reasons fit and if the employee doesn't agree then they'd need to go to a tribunal and realistically most of the time this isn't happening and even then doesn't mean a change will be made.

Its not difficult, however if they make the mistake my employer did and give another reason first they cant then go "oh hang on" The op employer has accepted in principal the hours would be fine, So I cant see how they could apply one of the reason listed, and doesn't have to be a tribunal as the next step you can use ACAS arbrtration
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Its not difficult, however if they make the mistake my employer did and give another reason first they cant then go "oh hang on" The op employer has accepted in principal the hours would be fine, So I cant see how they could apply one of the reason listed, and doesn't have to be a tribunal as the next step you can use ACAS arbrtration
    True but doesn't this require employer particpation in which they could refuse?

Ultimately if the employer doesn't want it to happen it can't be forced through.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • jessex1990
    jessex1990 Posts: 137 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2017 at 7:14PM
    You could ask to start and finish earlier if your kids school has a breakfast club? That way you are doing the same hours, people can't complain about unfairness of you leaving early if you started work before they did.

Saying that though 10 hours per month sacrificed from your salary isn't too much
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Why do you think this? What they have said looks pretty straightforward to me.

What they said is nonsense.

That you can't swap an unpaid 1/2hr for a paid 1/2 hour.

If the break was paid it makes more sense as there is a drop in 1/2 hour of paid time.

There may be other reasons why the change is not acceptable but the stated one is not valid.
  • mrschaucer
    mrschaucer Posts: 953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 July 2017 at 7:30PM
    getmore4less, I agree. They want her to work 35 hours and only pay her for 32.5 ... Nice if they get away with it!
    Edit. Ooops, no, ignore that. Too many G&Ts ...
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    True but doesn't this require employer particpation in which they could refuse?

Ultimately if the employer doesn't want it to happen it can't be forced through.

Perhaps, getting a wee bit ahead here anyway she hasn't even properly applied yet
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,608 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mrschaucer wrote: »
    . Too many G&Ts ...

You should be very careful with G&T, there are many cases of the tonic water being suspect.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What they said is nonsense.

That you can't swap an unpaid 1/2hr for a paid 1/2 hour.

If the break was paid it makes more sense as there is a drop in 1/2 hour of paid time.

There may be other reasons why the change is not acceptable but the stated one is not valid.

Try re-reading the OP. HR have said she can't sacrifice the Lunch hour so to allow a 4:30 finish she would need to sacrifice half hour of paid time.?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 3 July 2017 at 10:38PM
    bluenose2 wrote: »
    Good Afternoon,

I have been with my company for over 5 years now and due to my daughter starting school in September I am required to change my hours in order to support with collection.

Ordinarily I work 9-5 with a 1 hour lunch break but I am requesting a change in hours from September to 9-4:30 with a half hour lunch break.

I have unofficially discussed this with my HR representative and he advised that I would be able to go down to the hours requested but cannot sacrifice my lunch break as they're unpaid, I would therefore have to take a salary sacrifice of a daily half an hour.

Now of course I would much rather take the hit on lunch break in order to preserve my salary, am I being unreasonable here? Apparently they have rejected similar claims before and therefore it's unlikely mine would be accepted.

I have asked them to arrange a formal meeting as per process but not feeling very confident based on the "informal conversation".

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Try re-reading the OP. HR have said she can't sacrifice the Lunch hour so to allow a 4:30 finish she would need to sacrifice half hour of paid time.?

The OP said HR said they can't use the lunch time because it is unpaid.

The OP want so swap an unpaid 1/2 hour lunch for the paid 1/2 hour at end of day.

if they just don't want OP working through lunch they should say that and not make some rubbish about it not being paid
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure