Irresponsible Question Time - What happens if I just decide not to pay?

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Brexit will actually make it easier for the OP moving away.
    England is going into glorious isolation.
    jumperabv3 wrote: »
    I don't know what would be with the UK because of Brexit but I can tell you - you would need UK assets (e.g. bank account, credit card, mobile phone etc.) far more than many others need it and if you're going to shut the door then expect it to be completely shut... in times of globalisation and especially considering the UK would be the first sane country to leave the catastrophe called EU - you have no idea what you're doing to yourself
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    They have 6 years in which to go all the way up to CCJs and bankruptcy, the 6 year rule just means after that point they can't enforce a debt any more - so you'd need to live abroad for 6 years

Incorrect, they cant start action after the 6 years, they could start it 5 years, 11 months and 30 days, and get a CCJ that wont just go away
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    They can take you to court. Inflate your debt. Trash your credit rating but for unsecured debt little else unless they decide to send bailiffs in. It is stealing after all but much worse in that you have the money to pay it off. It may be a decision you regret in the future though if your circumstances change and you want a new mobile phone contract, further lending or bank account or to take out rental contract.

I suspect though that you are just on a wind up to see the reaction you get.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • latisha_2
    Options
    You will receive a warning letter or notice letter from the bank and, if you still ignore it. The bank will take you to court.
  • eset12345
    eset12345 Posts: 643 Forumite
    Options
    for such a large debt they will likely petition for bankrupcy, but I know from personal experience with Barclaycard with a debt of about 2k, they eventually just wrote it off / sold it to a 3rd party, who eventually ceased all collection activities without taking it to court, it's now statute barred.
  • NCC-1701
    NCC-1701 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP, why do you consider theft/fraud acceptable?
  • pupgrum
    pupgrum Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    eset12345 wrote: »
    for such a large debt they will likely petition for bankrupcy, but I know from personal experience with Barclaycard with a debt of about 2k, they eventually just wrote it off / sold it to a 3rd party, who eventually ceased all collection activities without taking it to court, it's now statute barred.

That usually happens because debt collection agencies are often understaffed, and easily forget to follow up on chasing up a debt. The moment you write to a debt collection agency the debt is making you feel suicidal, they simply just write off the debt or bounce it back to the original creditor, out of fear they cause your death. And no they never ask for evidence of your suicidal intentions.
  • jumperabv3
    jumperabv3 Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »

Yes, I'm quite concerned about this scenario as well - join the conversation here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5537269
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2016 at 1:56AM
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »

I don't see how anyone can be so categorical when we don't know what agreements we might enter into post-Brexit.

The reality is that AFAIK few judgments related to this kind of debt are enforced in the EU (or even the UK for that matter), so perhaps it won't make any difference.

[STRIKE]Lots of moralising on this thread[/STRIKE] Lots of comments on the ethics running away from your debts, but a notable absence of those coming on saying they were sued. I certainly know those with written-off debts that were never litigated.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I don't see how anyone can be so categorical when we don't know what agreements we might enter into post-Brexit.

The reality is that AFAIK few judgments related to this kind of debt are enforced in the EU (or even the UK for that matter), so perhaps it won't make any difference.

Lots of moralising on this thread, but a notable absence of those coming on saying they were sued. I certainly know those with written-off debts that were never litigated.

Which companies were involved and when were the debts accrued it makes a big difference.

As for people saying they were sued do a quick forum search for CCJ and see how many results you come up with
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure