PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi
    i am doing ok food wise....waiting to see what aldi have as their super 6 from sunday as i found the last 2 weeks selection a bit dire...do people like butter nut squash ? what do u make with it ?

i hope everyone is keeping warm i have done some baking to warm up the kitchen and it has worked a treat

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Solstice_3
    Options
    What and when is the Aldi Super Six and is there a way of finding out without going there? It feels like it's far away from me but really it's quite close to Asda where I shop regularly so might try and check it out. I'm not a fan of BNS myself which is a shame as you can do loads with it. You can, halve and stuff it and cook in oven, roast it, make chips from it or make risotto or pasta with it.
    Stay at home Mum to DS Oct 2011 and DD Dec 2013
    Grocery Challenge

April 298.08/300.00 NSD 14 May £213.56/£300 NSD 4
  • Gracie_1827
    Options
    Please put me down for £30. for frugal February. This is food only for just little old me.
    Still on January until 31st. Although I've gone over my Zero plan for January, I've only spent £5.24 and that was with a gift card.:j The rest of my milk & fruit have been "bought" with Nectar points. I still have quite a few chicken portions, roast beef and gammon in the freezer so I'll only need fruit and veg, milk, eggs & cheese in Feb. I may treat myself to some ground coffee and that'll be it.
    GC - Oct £36.17/£31
    GC - Sep £35.56/£30:o
    GC - Aug £30.73/£31
    GC - Jul £30.80/£31
  • Natterjack88
    Options
    Really need to do this challenge again, we have another baby due in June so will have 2 in nappies for a while. Ideally we will get our budget down to £150 a month by then and then maybe up it by £25 when baby comes!

So can you please put me down for £200 for Feb please :) our month starts 28/01
    £20 a day April 2014 £834.87/£600 :j
    £20 a day May 2014 £108.45/£600
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi...the aldi super6 are a mixture of 6 fruit and vegetables that aldi sell at 39p or 49p or 69p for a fortnight starting and ending sunday...have a look on the food board as there is a thread about it...this fortnight avos
    bnsquash
    some pots
    and helpfully i cant remember the rest....they can be really useful and cheap but only if u can use the stoff

hth
    onwards and upwards
  • Scuff
    Scuff Posts: 522 Forumite
    Options
    Hi! Tried in December and failed so miserably I gave up count (later I discovered, ahem, £339/£150, + £130 takeaways ... :o) Think maybe I set the limit too low, so trying again (and succeeding!!!) with £200 , starting today!
    September 2016 GC £21.37/£120
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    Aldi have a page on their website which shows the super 6 - It tends to appear late though so you don't get advanced warning.
    Usually someone posts on the thread on the Food and Groceries board soon after 10 on the first Sunday to let us know.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/product_range/4862.htm
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,874 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm still posting my progress on January's thread but wanted to come on to update the budgets.

Budgets done to here :)

Welcome/welcome back to:
    rellaella, JIL, Cheapskate, sb88, jedi82, missmoneysave, Bexim, Roadside, 1derwoman and Natterjack88 :D

I'll be over to join you officially next week. Good luck everyone!
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • p-pincher
    p-pincher Posts: 727 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Everyone

A former member of the GC challenge here who has been MIA for some time. I really need to get back on track this year. My spending over the last few months hasn't been too bad but I haven't been keeping a proper record and I have no idea how much i've been actually spending. I found when I take part in the GC I meal plan a lot better and spend a lot less.

Would you put me down for £250, this starts from DH payday (26th Jan to Feb 25th) and its for myself, Dh and two littlies. Includes all food, (pack up for all 4 of us etc), cleaning and everyday toiletries. We don't have any pets.

Currently trying to weigh up if a Costco membership will save me money as there's a new one opened up a couple of months ago, does anybody go there regularly,are they any good?
    March 2014 Grocery challenge £250.00
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you to all who keep the thread going and to everyone who posts as its all the imput etc that helps us all out.

Gracie_1827 - was wondering how you were doing last night after setting a £0 challlenge. Shame you havent managed it but £5.24 is amazing. Well done you. :T

Thank goodness February is nearly here as January has seemed such a long month for us budget wise at least. Still 8 days to go as well which relates to 2 more shops and not a lot of budget left :( Can see us going over which I will be disappointed about with it being the first challenge of the year but thinking on what I used to spend a month its brilliant - easily got through £120 + per week :eek:

Mmmmmhhh what to set February at?
    Think will go for February £250 please £10 less than most other months (Jan was exceptionally set low due to surplus of food in and Dec was set higher) Still have loads in but its actually remembering to use it thats the problem.

Going to go and start a loaf now as not made any for a while and fancy getting back into it.
    Good luck everyone for Feb.
    MARCH £62.38/250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family