SW Trains - caught without ticket

Comments

• newfoundglory
    newfoundglory Posts: 1,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Doesn't change the advice though - best thing to do is turn around and walk away from railway staff. Saying nothing in the process.

OP if you have not received a caution in this case then you should go immediately to a good solicitor, who will put an end to this for you. Make no communication at all with cr*p west trains.
  • Stigy
    Stigy Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Doesn't change the advice though - best thing to do is turn around and walk away from railway staff. Saying nothing in the process.

OP if you have not received a caution in this case then you should go immediately to a good solicitor, who will put an end to this for you. Make no communication at all with cr*p west trains.
    As I said, no caution is necessary, as long as all the facts are in the member of staff's report. By all means advise to contact a solicitor, but making no further communication is a bad move.
  • I will respond as I know ignoring things makes it so much worse eventually. Can I get a copy of their report? Or should I just send an apologetic letter and offer to pay the costs etc as suggested above?
  • newfoundglory
    edited 5 March 2012 at 12:00AM
    Basically you were probably caught by railway staff who were PACE trained, but ignored PACE rules and caused you to likely incriminate yourself.

Get a solicitor to respond to the letter on your behalf.
  • Stigy
    Stigy Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I will respond as I know ignoring things makes it so much worse eventually. Can I get a copy of their report? Or should I just send an apologetic letter and offer to pay the costs etc as suggested above?
    You'll only see the report if a summons is issued. Often the cheapest way out is a settlement, as has been suggested already. If it's a Byelaw charge, it's a Strict Liability offence, which basically means no intention to avoid payment needs to be proved by the TOC, therefore wining at court would require some significant luck or a loophole!

Best advice I can offer is to not listen to certain other drivel
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    My ten pence, you could receive a criminal record that could effect your employment, fill in nothing until you have sought legal advice, I know what the solicitor will tell you to do with the incriminate yourself form, but you will be better hearing from them.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • newfoundglory
    edited 5 March 2012 at 12:09AM
    Stigy probably works for the railways - so best ignored - all the railway wants is your £££££. Its not about fare evasion, its all about extra profit for the train operator. Why else would they be wasting time with this, after you had already touched in? You would have paid for the journey either way.

The whole system is setup so the commuter gets screwed.

(i'm anti-railway by the way, and even more anti-SWT)

And another rule: NEVER sign anything.
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Stigy probably works for the railways - all the railway wants is your £££££. Its not about fare evasion, its all about extra profit for the train operator. Why else would they be wasting time with this, after you had already touched in? You would have paid for the journey either way.

The whole system is setup so the commuter gets screwed.

(i'm anti-railway by the way, and even more anti-SWT)

And another rule: NEVER sign anything.

original post says they didnt tag in because they had no credit
    so you are saying its fine to defraud a railway company?
    i dont come on this forum to read about things like this i come on to money save people
  • Livingthedream
    Livingthedream Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    vax2002 wrote: »
    I know what the solicitor will tell you to do with the incriminate yourself form, but you will be better hearing from them.

One would think the solicitor would fill in the form in a way that would hopefully ensure a settlement out of court, however, that will cost you extra mony and isn't guaranteed.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • newfoundglory
    s_b wrote: »
    original post says they didnt tag in because they had no credit

Oh yes, you are right.

Hmm, that could be a problem.

OP did you touch out and get charged the maximum fare? Do you still have your oystercard?
    s_b wrote: »
    so you are saying its fine to defraud a railway company?

Nope
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport