My Sisters Bank Won't Let her release My Inheritance To Me-Please Help.

Options

Comments

• fairy_lights
    Options
    Yes. Plenty of people with mental illness are still working. If the OP went to a GP and got appropriate treatment there is every chance that she would be able to work. It is not certain but the OP needs to make a start by getting help.
    This. And if OP truly is incapable of working, ever, in any capacity, then how can she be capable of managing her own finances when she receives her inheritance? Either way it sounds like she's not currently receiving the support she needs.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes. Plenty of people with mental illness are still working. If the OP went to a GP and got appropriate treatment there is every chance that she would be able to work. It is not certain but the OP needs to make a start by getting help.

I think its fairly clear from her posting here that, at least for now and most likely for a significant time in the future, the OP is definitely not capable of coping in a work situation.

She absolutely needs to get to a GP as soon as possible, but her reluctance to do so may well be another manifestation of her obvious mental illness.

The fact that somebody has been jettisoned by MH services doesn't mean much these days. They are so stretched and worn thin that anybody who can keep themselves alive with a roof over their head and food in their belly and isn't a physical, immediate risk to themselves or others, is at risk of finding themselves without much help in place.

Her circumstances have changed now though, she has had several highly stressful life events in recent months that are causing her thought processes to spin out of control and leading her to make unwise decisions that will put her at risk of further deterioration and she very clearly needs a re-assessment.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The fact that somebody has been jettisoned by MH services doesn't mean much these days. They are so stretched and worn thin that anybody who can keep themselves alive with a roof over their head and food in their belly and isn't a physical, immediate risk to themselves or others, is at risk of finding themselves without much help in place.
    Yes that is exactly the way my health trust sees me.
    My CMHT won't give me a keyworker because they say I am not ill enough.
    The psychiatrist said the same thing and they won't even give me a psychiatrist either.
    So it's not my fault that my CMHT won't give me the support I have tried a MH Solicitor and my last GP but my CMHT still won't.

My CMHT know that I cannot work and have said they will give me supporting letters for my benefits if they are reviewed.

But there is no way I can work and both the CMHT and my past GP I had say this.

But I don't meet my CMHT's criteria for a keyworker or their services.
    But they will help me with my benefits and I can see the duty office or my Ex-CMHT Social worker at the CMHT.
    So although I am discharged from the CMHT I do have minimum contact with them.
    But no keyworker.

And no. I have not gone to look for a GP today because I was phoning my Housing association to tell the about the leak on the roof.
    The Man I spoke to from the HA repairs department was very nice to me.

He told me he is going to get the repair done although it won't be done right away because the contractors first have to come round and look at it to see what's causing the problem.
    And they will have to high a special equipment called a Cherrypicky to go up on the roof because they cannot get up there on a ladder because of Health and safety regulations.

But the man from the HA I spoke to said he is also going to put this forward as a complaint and someone from the HA will also contact me shortly.
    So all went well with my HA today as the man from Ha was sympathetic to me.

I have also been trying to speak to my solicitor on the phone but I cannot get though he is either out or with a client when I phone.

My solicitor won't see me in person at the office he will only speak to me on the phone which is not very helpful considering recent events re my inheritance.

So I am stuck because I cannot get my money, my sister won't talk to me and my solicitor is not very helpful.

But I have NOT GOT MY MONEY and my solicitor does not appear to be doing much about this.

So I think in the end it's going to come to that I may have to see another Solicitor as I have got to get my money but no one is doing anything to resolve this problem.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you read the next bit of my post OP? I said that things have changed and you need to be re-assessed.

Please please, get to the GP tomorrow. Nothing is more important. You do not need to speak to your solicitor at the moment.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    annbarbs wrote: »
    So I am stuck because I cannot get my money, my sister won't talk to me and my solicitor is not very helpful.

But I have NOT GOT MY MONEY and my solicitor does not appear to be doing much about this.
    It might look like your solicitor is not doing much to get your money, but that's because at the moment, there is nothing he can do.
    Your sister has only been in hospital for a few weeks, you need to give it time - either for her to recover, or for your other sister to get the power to distribute the estate.
    Remember this must be a very stressful time for both of your sisters too.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Please read the following comment carefully, it is important you understand it, once you have understood then you are free to make your own decisions regarding moving but you need to be aware of the outcome when you do that.
    And no. I have not gone to look for a GP today because I was phoning my Housing association to tell the about the leak on the roof.

He told me he is going to get the repair done although it won't be done right away because the contractors first have to come round and look at it to see what's causing the problem.
    And they will have to high a special equipment called a Cherrypicky to go up on the roof because they cannot get up there on a ladder because of Health and safety regulations.

But the man from the HA I spoke to said he is also going to put this forward as a complaint and someone from the HA will also contact me shortly.
    So all went well with my HA today as the man from Ha was sympathetic to me.

What you have said above is because this man works for the HA, the staff working there are used to dealing with people in your situation who need extra support and understanding compared to others. not all HA staff are quite as helpful but they should all receive some training on how to deal with clients like yourself.

How nice the man was and how he explained every step and procedure WILL NOT happen when dealing with private agents/landlords nor will this happen in the same way if you buy a home and have to deal with tradesmen.

Please think very carefully about moving out of HA housing.
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    OP - you do realise that each time you call your solicitor, whether you speak to him or not, may be charged? Not as much obviously as if you speak to him, but there will in all probability be a charge.

As others have said, he can't do anything, nobody can, until your sister is better.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well I managed to get through to my Solicitor just now on the phone.
    I told him I am very worried that I will never get my money because of the situation with the bank.

I told him that I have been let down by my sisters before and that my well sister now refuses to speak to me on the phone again.

I asked him what do we do if the worst happens and my sister never gets well?

As I don't think my well sister would want to go to the Court of Protection.

My solicitor said if that was the case he would got to the Court.

The other thing I am worried about is if my sister got well but just did not want to bother going to the bank with my sister.

My solicitor said in that case we could take my sisters the executors to court because they would be deliberately withholding their money.

So my Solicitor has explained to me the legal position and that's it.
    But he says we cannot go to court at this point in time because my sister has only been ill for a few weeks and the judge won't do anything.
    The Court Of Protection is only if my sisters is ill for a long time and does not get better.

My Solicitor agrees with me that we can give my sister some time in which to get better but we cannot let this go on forever(a year or more, my words.)

But we cannot go to court at the moment because my sister has not been ill that long so at the moment we don't have a case.
    But I know that.

I also asked him about my legal bill and he said I have not rung up anything like 30k like some members here have said!
    So I now feel a bit better now I have spoken to my Solicitor.

I am worried that I will never get my inheritance. but members here have said that is not going to happen and so did my solicitor.

As people have said here I will get my money but I may have to wait for it.
    And that is the hard part because now because of my sisters illness and the Red Tape with the bank.
    I don't know how long I will have to wait before this is sorted out.
    And the worst way we may have to go to court if my sisters do not co operate.
    But I will get my money but worst way it could take a long time.
    That's the hard part of all of this.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options

Sorry but that did not take all day. It is difficult to see it as anything but just another excuse for not getting help. All it takes is a phone call to arrange an appointment. If you explain the urgency you should be able to get an appointment within a day or two.
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    Sadly I think that the advice we are all offering in good faith is being ignored, so there is little more we can do. I wish you luck OP, perhaps in a few months time you can look back on these threads and reflect on the advice offered. Hopefully you will not regret taking these free suggestions that were all offered with your best interest in mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure