Does anyone here have an ideological objection to Solar?

Comments

• What he's getting at is that this is a 'green and ethical' board, and solar is premised on co2 reductions and 'green' considerations.

The fitting of an export-minimising device is the opposite of 'green', and basically a profit maximising device at the expense of the environement, and the personal gain vs green considerations balance falls well onto the personal gain side.

The customers who pay the fit for the 1kWh of generation which is diverted into the owners tank instead of being exported then have to pay again foir a further 1kW to be generated because the diverted kWh didn't make the local grid. On the grid it has a 13p value, in the owners tank a 3p value usually.

Edit - posted before I'd seen Roger had already replied

I was under the impression this is a Money Saving Board with a green and ethical flavour. The best way to save money if you have a PV system and are on Oil or LPG for heating is to use intelligent power managment.

See above post, I offer energy solutions to my clients. Thats all.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,760 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Last night started pondering the emissions side of FITs a little deeper.

So using the example of Tokelau, I posted a while back:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20233754

With a loan from New Zealand, they've installed a zero-emissions electricity supply, which is 150% of current demand (to allow for future demand), and the cost is roughly 9 times their (previous) annual diesel bill.

I make that fully viable.

So the question is, when would that scheme have become viable without FITs? How many more years of emissions would have been created whilst we waited for the natural/economic roll out of PV? Only 3 years ago when the UK joined FITs panels were about 5 times more expensive than they are now. So whilst Germany has done most of the heavy lifting, the UK can still claim a small amount of those Tokelau CO2 savings.

Has FITs cost the planet any money - no it hasn't. To bring down prices, demand had to rise to allow manufacturing to rise to more economic levels. Somebody always had to buy the $5/watt panels, and somebody the $4.99/watt panels before we could get to the $1/watt and less panels.

The only difference is that the money was spent sooner, and by the richer nations further from the equator. Perhaps this is the 'ethical' part of this forum, since it's those nations that have enjoyed the CO2 party so much, and should now help with the morning clean up.

CO2 does not respect national boundaries, so we shouldn't be looking at UK FITs in isolation.

On a lighter and more cheerful note, PV prices now, today, mean that the poorer countries, with better weather, can now start to do the heavy lifting as viability for them has been reached so much sooner.

Also, some countries with supplies of cheap energy, are now moving to PV as costs have fallen:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/nov/26/saudi-arabia-solar-strategy?

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Has FITs cost the planet any money - no it hasn't. To bring down prices, demand had to rise to allow manufacturing to rise to more economic levels. Somebody always had to buy the $5/watt panels, and somebody the $4.99/watt panels before we could get to the $1/watt and less panels..

Structural inefficiency is the problem.
    What do we mean by a 'solar industry'?
    There is really one place it makes sense to aim funds in a big way.
    Solar cell research, and better manufacture.
    Encouraging purchase of panels is an inefficient way of doing this.

However, the current schemes subsidise to a similar level how to climb onto roofs, and fix panels.

Is this a useful skill - certainly.
    Is there any sense in spending tens of millions of pounds a year on people learning this skill, and does it advance energy independence in the most efficient way - no.

We could have had a significantly larger investment in lowering the cost of panels, if they were installed in large arrays in appropriate places.

Solar panels as domestic roof decorations is a very labour intensive way of achieving solar electricity, compared to medium scale installations.

Anyway - apologies for dragging the thread off-topic - I shouldn't have initially posted.
  • Martyn1981
    rogerblack wrote: »
    We could have had a significantly larger investment in lowering the cost of panels, if they were installed in large arrays in appropriate places.

Solar panels as domestic roof decorations is a very labour intensive way of achieving solar electricity, compared to medium scale installations.

Anyway - apologies for dragging the thread off-topic - I shouldn't have initially posted.

Actually I think it's very interesting to discuss emissions and the macro side of all of this.

Regarding where and what to build. As you know I don't think large scale 'farms' are better than domestic due to the additional annual costs (land, insurance, security etc). I think they come out pretty much the same. And that's before the differing income levels. However, domestic installs involve the populace, and that helps to hammer home the AGW message.

However, agree completely about medium scale. Have said repeatedly that this is where I think the future is in the UK. Not sure at what point costs (per kWp installed) stop dropping, but would guess somewhere in the 20 to 50kWp range.

Obviously only guessing, but would have thought a medium scale install (such as a supermarket) could come in around £1k/kWp, and @ 1,000kWh's/kWp that means a return on investment equal to the electricity price (whatever that is 7, 8p?):-

20kWp = £20k = 20,000kWh's pa
    @7p/kWh = £1.4k/£20k = 7%

assuming of course 100% consumption, that has to be borderline viable without subsidies.

I sincerely hope that the large companies keep rolling out PV and replace the momentum lost on domestic now.

Mart.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Dear Mr/Mrs Energetic,

I am intending to buy a gift of a wireless bird camera nesting box. I would prefer to buy a system to power the camera that is solar based rather than buy rechargeable batteries.

This is the type of product I am thinking of buying

http://www.spycameracctv.com/spycamera/usb-receiver-cctv-wireless-infrared-day-night-hidden-spy-camera-system

It requires a 9v battery adapter to power the camera - is there a solar powered device that I can directly connect to the camera to do this, such as a panel, or must I buy a charger with separate rechargeable battery to do this? If so, can you recomnend a cheap product? thanks.

EDIT - I live in Scotland, if you don't think the lighting levels here will keep the battery sufficiently charged to power the camera, let me know.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    BigAunty wrote: »
    Dear Mr/Mrs Energetic,

I am intending to buy a gift of a wireless bird camera nesting box. I would prefer to buy a system to power the camera that is solar based rather than buy rechargeable batteries.

This is the type of product I am thinking of buying

http://www.spycameracctv.com/spycamera/usb-receiver-cctv-wireless-infrared-day-night-hidden-spy-camera-system

It requires a 9v battery adapter to power the camera - is there a solar powered device that I can directly connect to the camera to do this, such as a panel, or must I buy a charger with separate rechargeable battery to do this? If so, can you recomnend a cheap product? thanks.

EDIT - I live in Scotland, if you don't think the lighting levels here will keep the battery sufficiently charged to power the camera, let me know.
    Hi BigAunty

I'd guess that Energetic, being MCS registered, would be more involved with system which are large enough to power a house, something which is a little larger than needed for your requirements ... ;)

To ensure that you have enough power for your wifi camera and the infrared lights you'll probably be looking at something like a 12V/12W panel, a 12V charge controller and a decent capacity deep cycle 12V battery then a 12V DC to 9V DC adaptor .... probable total cost would be ~£100 from somewhere like Maplins, depending on what offers they have available at the time.

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • @BigAunty @Zeupater

Zeup is on the money there. There are plenty of 12v battery kits on ebay and amazon for keeping car/caravan/boat/golfcart batteries trickle charged. Off the top of my head you'd be looking at a 5-15w panel kit and a 7-20aH deep cycle battery kit for up to 5 days autonomy and a 50% discharge rate on the battery. This is depending on the camera's consumption. Again Zeup is correct in saying this is not really my strongest area.

When we size off grid PV for dwellings we work on something similar, this is why it always ends up with an enormous amount of battery capacity so 5 days may be overkill for a small camera as it's not super critical if the battery runs out, also it's most likely to be in use when it's sunnier. The 50% discharge rate means the batteries will have a longer life so take these figures as absolutely worst case...

Sorry i cant be more specific. Good luck...
  • rogerblack wrote: »
    Structural inefficiency is the problem.
    What do we mean by a 'solar industry'?
    There is really one place it makes sense to aim funds in a big way.
    Solar cell research, and better manufacture.
    Encouraging purchase of panels is an inefficient way of doing this.

However, the current schemes subsidise to a similar level how to climb onto roofs, and fix panels.

Is this a useful skill - certainly.
    Is there any sense in spending tens of millions of pounds a year on people learning this skill, and does it advance energy independence in the most efficient way - no.

Again I’m not in the business of defending government policy but since you mentioned it Structural Inefficiency pervades every aspect of government spending, do you have the same ideological issues with the NHS, MoD, Civil Service, Welfare System etc. etc... That’s a rhetorical question; I don't really want to know. If you dislike the FiT so much you, as a stakeholder, have the right to respond to Ofgem consultations and be ignored like the rest of us:-)

Some sense of perspective might be helpful here. The feed in tariff is a miniscule fraction of public spending(if you can call it that), albeit a very visible one. What's gone into the FiT thus far is a tiny fraction of the £65 Billion that we all paid into our insolvent Banks.

The BoE has created £375 BILLION out of thin air to fund further government deficit spending and keep the sick banks afloat. This is making us all poorer, devaluing our savings.

The energy bill was published yesterday with the figure of £7.6 billion going to low carbon energy by 2020. There is a renewables element of this but also includes Nuclear and CCS. I have yet to see a breakdown on how much is going to each but I doubt renewables will be getting anywhere near the rest. The £7.6 billion over 7 years sounds a lot but the BoE have magicked up £50billion in the last 6 months, from nowhere, this dwarfs energy spending.

So now perhaps I’ll stick to the technical stuff…
  • Interesting figures I heard from R4 the other day.
    Nothing to do with the above discussion , just felt the urge to share it :)
    Social security budget £200 billion or 30% of total government spending.
    50% of this budget goes to those over the age of retirement.
  • Martyn1981
    As comparisons go, I like comparing the PV FITs budget to 3.5 years of nuclear decommissioning, which consumes energy.

Or 1/4 of the HS2 rail works, which will allow people in 15 years time to commute from Birmingham to London (if they still want to) 30 mins quicker, by expending vast quantities of extra energy pushing air out of the way!

Mart.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure