Bank Account

2»

Comments

• roughsea
    roughsea Posts: 87 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    had no issues at Barclays and basic account opened in 10 mins. Good service and non judgmental to the bankruptcy.

Also did not make an appointment and was seen within 5 mins

Happy
  • Hull_BR2016
    Hull_BR2016 Posts: 16 Forumite
    So, had my interview today. Much less stressful than I thought.
    When I asked about the bank account, the OR said they would send a letter to Co-op stating they are happy for me to continue using the account but ultimately it's their decision.
  • nikkirr
    nikkirr Posts: 42 Forumite
    Ive opened a natwest basic bank account so hope that is ok, just awaiting the switch service before i go for bankruptcy
  • Funnily enough after my BR I applied for a co-op basic account in branch and the branch manager insisted they had stopped offering basic accounts to bankrupt people. I ended up getting one with nationwide.

With regards to OP's question, I had an account with Lloyds with £18 in it and the OR said they weren't interested, it never got shut down, in fact it's still there now post BR. I wouldn't worry, even if they did freeze it the OR would instruct them to pay it to a new account that you specified.

I asked a family member to lend me £500 and they accidentally transferred it to my HSBC account which was frozen the day after �� But OR made HSBC transfer to my new account.
  • LincsPaul
    LincsPaul Posts: 131 Forumite
    Yes it's important to remember freeze or not, the money is yours (unless it's a bank with whom you have a bankruptcy debt e.g. a credit card).
  • HothHan
    HothHan Posts: 18 Forumite
    Virgin Money allow you to open an account if you are going bankrupt
  • LincsPaul
    LincsPaul Posts: 131 Forumite
    Yes my Virgin Money one was opened PRIOR to bankruptcy and remains open (I marked it as my main account in the BR application). Very pleased with them even though it's like going back to the 90s with regards to online banking and general facilities!

Co-op, who were previously my main bank and with whom I had credit card debt, closed the account 2 weeks into my BR without contacting me. Account was zero'd out.
  • HothHan
    HothHan Posts: 18 Forumite
    I opened my Virgin money account the day after my bankruptcy was accepted and just told them I had recently submitted my bankruptcy application.
    They were fine with that and called me the following day to say that the bank account has been approved and they will send out a debit card and pin separately within 5 working days.
    On my call with the OR, a couple of days later, they asked for the Virgin account number that I advise would be my new account as it wasn't on the Bankruptcy form and said I couldn't give it as I am still waiting for the debit card to arrive, and don't know my new account number yet. They were fine with that and said it won't be an issue and the account won't be frozen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure