PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    PN I'm just greedy...also annoyed with myself as I hate being fat...I comfort overeat especially when down or stressed. The trouble is it's a vicious circle because putting on weight causes my mood to dip even more :o:(

....I've just eaten more chocolate too!
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    karcher wrote: »
    I've done nothing but eat today :(

After my fish finger sarnie and (lots of) crisps, I had yoghurt and chocolate....

I then decided I wanted something savoury so made up the box of stuffing mix in the cupboard and ate it with some peas, mayo and Tabasco.

Just now I have eaten a huge baked potato, butter and cheese with broccoli, cabbage..I wasn't even hungry :o

I'm stuffed now but know I'm not finished yet....:(

Why do we have these days of just stuffing your face with any food you can get your hands on...well i do anyway and quite often recently :o:(
    I think it takes a few days, up to a week, to finally wind down from the point you realise there've been too many days of scoffing .... you can't turn it on and off....

I'd have scoffed more yesterday and today if I'd had more nibbles to hand.

Today I've so far had:
    eggy/soldiers
    pasty, 340 grams of bubble/squeak (I weighed it), carrots
    2 bits of toast/margarine
    3 pancakes :)
    4 bourbons (all gone now).
    karcher wrote: »
    PN I'm just greedy...also annoyed with myself as I hate being fat...I comfort overeat especially when down or stressed. The trouble is it's a vicious circle because putting on weight causes my mood to dip even more :o:(

....I've just eaten more chocolate too!
    I think we all have days like that I know I do where my stomach feels like a bottomless pit - generally if I reflect (dangerous I know) it tends to come on the back of too many carbs.:( Been hungry today after yesterday's indulgences but hopefully will rein it in tomorrow:)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Loose main meal plan for the next few days so I use some perishables up:
    Tonight: braised steak with onion & mushroom gravy & root veg mash
    Mon: Peri peri chicken thighs, salad and baked spud
    Tues: Ham & mushroom potato bake
    Weds: Sea bass with cous cous stuffed pepper
    Thurs: something involving chorizio and rice

No doubt it will end up looking completely different:o:D
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Breakfast : 3 nutri-brex, 200ml almond milk.
    Lunch (at work) : red grapes, orange, banana and a home made nakd bar.
    Dinner : veggie bean burger, sweet potato chips, roasted parsnips, carrot, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cucumber, tomato, spinach, houmous (100g).
    Snacks : Tyrell crisps again :o.
    Drinks : water, coffee, tea.

4 fruits, 9 vegetables.

OH wanted sweet potato chips so as oven was on I decided might as well eat the veggie bean burger that's been in the freezer for months.
    Not often we have something the same, but as he was making sweet potato chips...:cool:. Mostly still for one meals. Just I can never justify having the oven on for just me. I'd usually just settle with microwaved sweet potato chips.

I feel like I've eaten too much as well. I think it's normal to have bottomless pit days. At least I hope it's normal!
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    caronc wrote: »
    I think we all have days like that I know I do where my stomach feels like a bottomless pit - generally if I reflect (dangerous I know) it tends to come on the back of too many carbs.:( Been hungry today after yesterday's indulgences but hopefully will rein it in tomorrow:)

Carbs are my weak point. I eat far too much bread, mainly ciabatta or baguettes so the worst for me. I can't help but buy a freshly baked baguette if I pass a bakers or SM. I have no bread in at all now and going to make a concerted effort to not buy any for a few weeks to try and wean myself off them/out of the habit :(

I do, however, still have 2 pizzas in the freezer :o
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Bread/similar, then potatoes/rice, have been the cornerstone of my 'diet' forever. After that it's eggs, baked beans, cheese. Usually by the time I've bought those items I've more than enough food so it's hard to expand on the repertoire.

I do try to have a break from plain bread and to have a bit of variety. I never overlap loaves, I always have a break between having a loaf in the house, just to break the cycle of toast. Alternative items I've often got include pitta, part-baked baguettes, crumpets and muffins ... and, in the last year, I've started using wraps, but not often as I'm not entirely sure I like them that much.

With bread you've always got toast.
    With bread, beans, eggs, cheese, you've always got beans/eggs on toast and cheese sandwiches.

I do love crumpets :)
    The pack I bought a couple of days ago was tossed unopened into the freezer earlier today as I've not even had chance to open the pack as I've got food overload.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2017 at 7:21AM
    Doom & Gloom - I shall be watching your meals with interest. As you can probably tell - I'm edging towards vegan. I'm desperate for some new clothes - but won't allow myself to buy anything much at all in size 16. I know I'm supposed to be size 10-12 (as that's what I used to be).

Hence gradually swopping out dairy products for vegan ones - as I read comments about many vegans being slim. Would you say that's true - as I guess you meet many more vegans than I do?

I have read of people turning vegan and actually putting on weight - but then I do see a lot of vegan blogs that seem to major heavily on sweet foods and am guessing those are the ones that are being read in this case? That - provided sweet food and alcohol are minimised - then I guess turning vegan would pretty much cause weight loss to happen automatically without trying (ie until one was back to normal size again)? Is that your experience of things? Would a combination of turning vegan and eating mindfully (ie I've started to ask myself after every mouthful if I'm sure I'm hungry for another mouthful) be sufficient to do the trick in your opinion?

I know the Slimming World diet has done the trick for me a couple of times - and then it's gone back on again afterwards. I don't think I can face that diet again - as I find it so restrictive and I land up eating one heck of a lot of canned tomatoes to give any taste to the food at all....
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    well you couldn't make this one up ...remember i said I stayed away last night to avoid a 4 am get up? Well I was tucked up in in bed for 10 and at 4am exactly the fire alarm goes off :( Stood freezing in the car park for ages till they allowed us back in by which time sleep was an elusive thing

Hey ho at least we are all alive.

Cooking for one today will involve me putting some bread onto one of those awful toaster machines in the hotel :)
  • PasturesNew
    Nelski wrote: »
    ... at 4am exactly the fire alarm goes off
    Well, you were still ahead as "you were already there". It's not just setting the alarm, getting up in the dark, leaving the house in the dark - there's also the grim journey, not being sure until you arrive if you'll get there in time.

"Already being there" is a big part of the joy of going early.
    Nelski wrote: »
    Cooking for one today will involve me putting some bread onto one of those awful toaster machines in the hotel :)
    I've stayed away before, but always in cheap/grim places. I've usually picked up a supermarket cheap sandwich to eat as expenses were never sufficient to feed myself.
  • PasturesNew
    Yesterday I was so happy I'd decided what to eat - this morning the realisation dawned, again, that I have to do it all over again... well, I couldn't decide. But then I saw the final banana sitting on the windowsill - so it's banana for breakfast!

1/10 nailed ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport