IVA Creditors Meeting

I have today received notification of my IVA Creditors Meeting on 8th May. It says in the letter that i do not have to attend but creditors may want to speak to me and they may want to give advice. The meeting is in Blackburn and I live in Herts so it is not a very short journey. Have others attended their meetings and what was the outcome either way. Is it worth me spending the money on travel to get there or would telephone conferencing be enough? Help much appreciated thanks

Also how long after the meeting is it peoples experience things get sorted?

Comments

• N71
    N71 Posts: 384 Forumite
    Hi - i went through this last year.

I spoke to my IVA company and they said i didn't need to attend the meeting, but should be available by phone if anyone needed to speak to me.
    Nobody needed me!

After the meeting, and it was agreed, I had to make my first payment by cheque to the IVA provider, then the direct debit was set up for the following month.

I hope you've already set up a new bank account, and rearranged your rent/utilities direct debits. My existing account was frozen pretty much immediately.
  • GirlRacer_2
    GirlRacer_2 Posts: 3,026 Forumite
    I had an IVA in 2000 and I live in South Wales and the meeting was in Gloucester. I was advised that I didn't need to attend but would need to be available via phone. I did attend and sat around the big massive table was me, OH and the IP. Nobody turned up, they all just agreed with the IP proposal.

I must admit I found the whole experience totally intimidating. I managed to get out of my IVA as I had quite a sum of money left to me, so only managed to stay in the IVA for approximately 18 months.
  • kdean
    kdean Posts: 208 Forumite
    thanks for replies. Yes i have switched bank accounts. I have been trying to get this sorted now since September last year. We have had to sell up and move into cheaper rented accomodation and we learned how to live on a very tight budget ages ago. Also just had a baby (which put tax credits up thankfully) so things are extremely strained until it all gets sorted. Just want to get it over and done with now.
  • if you dont tell them about a bank account can they or do they find out??
    :T This site is great! Thanks to Martin Lewis & everyone who participates and helps so many people! Without you all, where would we be ??:T

:A The days are long, but the years are short! Cherish every moment, you blink that moment is gone forever :sad: :A
  • blownalot
    blownalot Posts: 124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I didn't attend mine but they needed to speak to me several times before mine was approved. Finally got approved with 75.3% voting in favour of it.
  • loopylass81
    loopylass81 Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I didnt attend mine I just phoned about an hour later to find out the result!! They had a couple of questions but they did agree to it!!! It isnt a nice experience to go through..

good luck
  • james32_uk
    james32_uk Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Don't go. Will have absolutely no bearing on the outcome. Just be by the phone.
    Debt as at 12th July 2006 - £61,345 :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Debt free 21st Oct 2011.

All thanks to :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills