PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast – 7 days no spending (at all)

Options

Comments

• EricaDawnCali
    Options
    Great Job Meg72!! You can do it!! It has been over a week since I have spent any money. Unless paying my rent today counts as a spending day? :( But I consider my rent a neccesity. Will have more bills to pay this coming week, but other than that I am going to continue the fiscal fast. How long can I co without spending any money?? Keep going friends, you can do it!!!!
    I will be busy the next few weeks writting my dad a story for his Christmas gift. I did that last year and he loved it. It was a story involving all of the 3 stooges. This year it will involve The Little Rascals/ Our Gang.
    TTFN (Ta Ta For Now!! Tigger says that!! LOL!)
    Frugal in '14!!!! God Bless all of You!!! Frugal = :cool: 'Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!!!'-Saying from the Great Depression in the US 1929-39. Love you, Erica Dawn
  • EricaDawnCali
    EricaDawnCali Posts: 81 Forumite
    edited 1 December 2012 at 7:27AM
    Options
    I am thinking of doing a fiscal fast two weeks out of the month.Would anyone like to join me in this? I'm thinking I can buy groceries one week then, skip a week with a Fiscal Fast then see if I need to stock up on anything the next week. It might help what little I get go a little farther. WE CAN DO IT!!!Great Job everyone!!
    Erica
    Frugal in '14!!!! God Bless all of You!!! Frugal = :cool: 'Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!!!'-Saying from the Great Depression in the US 1929-39. Love you, Erica Dawn
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I have around just over £12 odd to last until Christmas in my food purse.This is a seperate purse that I keep only for food bought for indoors ,and I have bulging freezer and cupboards so hopefully I shan't need to go anywhere near the food shops until after Chistmas apart from buying milk I am away for the last 10 days of December so really have virually nothing to buy in the food area at all.I managed to make three portions of chicken curry with the left over chicken which have gone into the freezer.I have Sunday dinner at DDs every week so from the 20 days I have to feed myself in December its now cut down to 17.Tomorrow night I am at DDs looking after my grandsons overnight so that's one less day so its now down to 16 days.I have two nights out in December at friends for dinner so thats now 14 nights dinner .Not a problem as I have about a months supply of evening meals in the freezer . The supermarkets aren't going to see me or my cash hopefully.
    My shopping list ( small book by the kettle) is blank and I have no need to buy anything. As its December I am pretty busy going to carol concerts and school stuff with my DGS .Most lunchs will be HM soup and crackers and breakfasts will be porridge or cereals.I bake quite a few cakes and biscuits so apart from fresh milk I can't think of anything I need at all.

I am stocked up for the coming month. Plus by using the stuff in store I can make room for the January sales when a lot of Chistmas stuff is knocked down in price I bought all my Chrismas mincemeat last January for this years pies at 20p a jar instead of over a pound.Forward planning is the key.
    I think we have all done so well this year with our fiscal fasting and once you get out of the habit of running to the shop for just one thing which inevitably turns into several its suprising how little you are actually spending
    We should have a pat on the back smiley I think as you all deserve a big pat on the back .Welcome to all the newbies who will soon become regulars hopefully
    Take care everyone
    Cheers JackieO

Great post Jackie, I never think to deduct the days I am out or fed elsewhere from my plan. Explains why there is still so much in freezer.

Forward planning , here we go. total of 8 days I do not need to plan for, two chippy nights with DGS2, 2 Sunday lunches at Brothers. 1 Christmas Day at DDs and 3 days in Prague. All from different budget. So only 22 meals to plan for . That's over a weeks worth.:j Thank you.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    Options
    I am thinking of doing a fiscal fast two weeks out of the month.Would anyone like to join me in this? I'm thinking I can buy groceries one week then, skip a week with a Fiscal Fast then see if I need to stock up on anything the next week. It might help what little I get go a little farther. WE CAN DO IT!!!Great Job everyone!!
    Erica

Hi Erica, yes I will join you, after the reading Jackie0s post and realising I can save over a weeks worth of shopping. I don't think I will shop one week and not the next but probably go for 1st week and then the 4th, but whichever its still two weeks saved.
    WE CAN DO IT, WE WILL DO IT. WON`T WE,
    Slimming World at target
  • EricaDawnCali
    Options
    Fiscal Fast #2 completed successfully!! yea!! I am thinking of trying to do a fiscal fast every other week. I will check and see if i need anything after this fiscal fast, go shopping and then do a fiscal fast the next week. I hope to make the fiscal fast a habit for next year.
    Happy First Sunday of Advent!!! Love, Erica Dawn
    P.S. To all those still fiscal fasting, YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • EricaDawnCali
    EricaDawnCali Posts: 81 Forumite
    edited 3 December 2012 at 3:20AM
    Options
    I just found a five pound bag of Chicken Breasts in my freezer!! That may me another week of NO SHOPPING!! Yea!!! It doesn't hurt to 'squirel' things away. :) Guess I need to keep looking in my freezer. Not exactly sure what all is in there. (Might be scary!!)
    Saw something about running out of oil to fry things up and thought I would add a tip that I learned. If you add a little bit of water when you dry fry it helps to keep food from sticking to the pan.
  • meg72
    Options
    Wow Erica that was a good find. Have taken out 2 pork steaks and a cottage pie, that should take me up till Thurs. Friday starts my next week. Keep searching Hun.
    Slimming World at target
  • EricaDawnCali
    Options
    I think I am addicted to Fiscal Fasting and 'Ghosting' some money frome yourself. (Ghosting is when you put a little less in your check ledger than you actually have. Example you pay check is say $200, you decide you want to 'ghost/hide $75 from yourself you only put in your check ledger/account balance that you have $125 in there.) Sorry I have trouble convertig US dollars into UK pounds, etc Forgive me. :(
    I did do a little shoping but kept to my budget, I even kept to my list and nothing extra. So I'm going to Fiscal Fast again and see how far I can go without spending any money. (Except for my bills. They're important!)
    If it helps anyone, I keep a fiscal fast journal and write down if I have an urge to spend or if I am anxious about the fast, things like that. I find it helps to write the temptaions/successes down. Just a tip, hope that might help!! Hope you all have a Happy Advent/Christmas, or other Holidays.
    Fiscal Fasters, Onward....!!!!! :)
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello - joining in again, just for the next 4 days I think. Today I bought some oranges and apples for work for the week and also paid for a prescription. However I will spend no more for the rest of the week now, until Saturday when we have our local friends Christmas day out.

Meal plan is done and as I have to pick DS up from nursery every day this week I won't be able to go out at lunchtimes. Only spend I anticipate is the latte/pastry treat that me and OH have on a Wednesday before work, but I paid last week so fingers crossed he'll remember that!
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • EricaDawnCali
    Options
    Just wanted to wish all the fiscal fasters on here a very Merry and Blessed Christmas!!!
    I plan to make the fiscal fast a part of my New Year's Resolution so I will be coming on here more in the new year. Even if I don't post I will be coming on here for inspiration and encouragement!! <3 You all!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure