PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast – 7 days no spending (at all)

Options

Comments

• peony40
    peony40 Posts: 645 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh dear! I seem to be unable to stick with the fiscal fast lately.

I need to get back into a routine, so from tomorrow I will be on a fiscal fast. I need to use up freezer stock before our rental comes to an end in the next month or so. (Between houses).

Also, i will be looking to put saved money towards buying a mini electric oven for our new home as it has a large electric oven which I don't wish to use all the time as I believe it is expensive to run.

Is anyone else willing to join me in a fiscal fast?
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
  • peony40
    peony40 Posts: 645 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, day one of my fiscal fast and I will not be going out anywhere as I have an upset stomach and generally feel listless. So this is good financially, lol.

Also, I took my card details off my amazon account yesterday as I can click on there too easily and end up buying bits and pieces throughout the month that I don't really need.

Plans for today are to cook from the freezer and fridge. I have potatoes and carrots to use up, so will do mince and mash for dinner, something quick and easy.

Good Luck to any other fiscal fasters out there.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
  • Aphidgirl
    Aphidgirl Posts: 431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    How did you get on Peony40? I may have to give this a go next week as I have hardly any money until payday in 2 weeks time!
    Starting 2016 debt-free :D
    Emergency Fund: £350/£1000
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Try looking at it from a different perspective .You have X amount of days until you get paid, and X amount of cash, divide one into t'other and see how much you have per day.
    Then take this amount and put it into your purse and every day you don't use it makes the following days shorter and fuller with money :) IYSWIM.

Shop from your cupboards and freezer and try to think of ways to make what you already have in stock more interesting After all you did buy it to eat, and not just look at.

See how many meals you can plan with what you have at home already You will probably be suprised at how much you really have already, and don't need to buy any more.

Improvisation is the key to streeetching cash out.I used half a celery, a couple of spuds, two stock cubes and some diced onion from the freezer and made a litre of celery soup this morning, enough for at least three lunches, and it cost me only my time to make it.with some cream cheese and crackers thats Friday ,saturday and sunday lunch taken care of.I go to dinner at my DDs on Sunday so no cooking needed for that day.tomorrow night I have enough salady bits in the fridge to have a salad I just add what ever I have to make it more a boiled egg,some grated cheese plus lettuce,tomato,cucumber beetroot from the jar and some red onion chutney and my plate is piled high for very little. I have a massive lentil stash so I may make some lentil pate to go on my crackers for a change from cream cheese I no longer eat bread so I like to vary what I put on the crackers
  • mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    Think I. Might try giving this a try ... I've got so much stuff in the NSD seem to be going pretty well this month ��

I've found if I just stay away from the shops that is the best route to take lol

Lisa x
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • Aphidgirl
    Aphidgirl Posts: 431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks JackieO,

I like that way of thinking about how much I have to spend. I've got a few pounds in the bank so will do a calculation.

It is amazing how long you can last from eating from the cupboards/freezer. I didn't think my stores were very full but I've eaten well for the last 3 days and have not been shopping at all. I've got all meals for tomorrow sorted as well and then I'm off to my parents for the weekend so they will feed me :)

Three days of fiscal fasting so far this week. I'll probably end up spending something on Saturday as I'm off to a birthday party at a pub, but maybe I can smuggle in my hip flask....
    Starting 2016 debt-free :D
    Emergency Fund: £350/£1000
  • happydays89
    happydays89 Posts: 304 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,I need to join this challenge:(,my husband has been made redundant.He finishes 21st November,so I want to stop all non essential spending.:)My youngest son leaves home on the 10 August so my electric bill should reduce big time (he uses tumble drier a lot)

I have 3 freezers,so I am hoping to use everything up and stay away from the supermarkets.
    My husband went offshore today,so this is day one of no spending,I am going to see if I can keep my purse closed for 3 weeks which is how long he is away for.:D
  • debbie_debt
    Options
    Hi,I need to join this challenge:(,my husband has been made redundant.He finishes 21st November,so I want to stop all non essential spending.:)My youngest son leaves home on the 10 August so my electric bill should reduce big time (he uses tumble drier a lot)

I have 3 freezers,so I am hoping to use everything up and stay away from the supermarkets.
    My husband went offshore today,so this is day one of no spending,I am going to see if I can keep my purse closed for 3 weeks which is how long he is away for.:D

How did the fast go happydays89? Hope things are ok since your hubbie was made redundant. Any luck jobhunting?

We've got houseguests arriving this weekend and it's my son's 16th birthday on top of Christmas, so there's no chance of a fast here yet, but I'm considering it for the first week in January. I'm desperately trying to get an emergency fund together so I can chop up the credit cards once and for all!

Debbie
    HIGHEST DEBT £63,300 LBM 27/5/2020 DEBT FREE DATE 31.08.2022
  • happydays89
    Options
    Hi,Debbie-debt,thanks for asking,we are still living out of the freezers and just buying bits as needed from Aldi.we have managed to reduce household bills.Sadly no luck on the job front,with the massive job cuts in the oil industry there is very little work about.I am using up my present stash on Christmas,mainly stuff I got in the Boots 70 per cent off sale in January.

Good luck with the emergency fund,it's not easy.
    Once Christmas is over we will really cut back even more.good luck again.
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    hi Debbie and all who follow,i went through same thing as you 2 years ago its hard but stay on this site and you will get through,great advice given from old school posters is invaluable. I too have freezers filled so want to go from today till next wed evening without buying anything only milk and that's it ,have loads of half packs of bread and baps in freezer ,want these used up also want all fruit gone in fruit bowl and fridge before I do my big shop next week. I have the Christmas leg of lamb and gammon in freezer thanks to mr t half price 2 weeks ago and got m and s offer 2 puds for 5 quid so got 4 different ones to do boxing day and new years day so its fresh stuff really for next week. all presents wrapped and bagged ,so all set. I really want to start new year with cupboards full so I do not have to go to super mrkets the entire of January,good luck to everyone and I will pop on over holidays to report howi get on xxx
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure