PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Saturday 25th August

Comments

• beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Morning All!
    Donnygal - many congratulations to you DS and his fiancee - nice to have some good news to celebrate!
    Overslept here today - think its relief of stress that DS has finally moved into his new flat! Last text last night said he was trying to put up his bed in the dark - needs new light bulbs! I suggested just sleeping on the mattress on the floor....
    Need to menu-plan for next week and go shopping later. ironing is knocking at the door of the cupboard trying to escape, but I'm putting my fingers in my ears!
    Knitted the front to DGD's cardigan yesterday - then realised I'd not changed to instructions for V-neck so it's round neck version...oh well, unpicking again today. Good job she's only five so it's a small job! Remember my Nan and Mum knitting the school cardigans - but OS or not, it's somewhat more pricey than buying readymade! Anyway, I like knitting so it's keeping me out of mischief!
    Hope you all have a good day today. Don't know about the rest of you - but we have rain...oh yes, it's a bank holiday weekend!
    Take care.
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • Forgot to say before, this sounds yummy! Did you post the recipe before? Link if you did please! Ty x

This was the one I did, it's a non-cook fridge cake. My work kids gave me a box of Maltesers as a thank you present so I wanted to use them up in a cake to share with people rather than eat the whole box to myself :rotfl:
    donny-gal wrote: »
    Morning All
    Just had to share our good news with you all DS & GF got engaged last night.

:beer: Ah congratulations to them :)
    FB - You may have an OS badge for that.....me i'd have got a chinky :p

BB - I was tempted.... :rotfl:

Just been for my jog, I didn't pick blackberries as I wanted to jog, and can't do it carrying stuff! But I think I will go later or tomorrow morning instead as there were loads there.

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • Dippypud
    Dippypud Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    redruby wrote: »
    Morning all,

Oh meant to say picked up a 1940's porcelain loo roll holder (one of those ones that holds the grease proof type sheets) in the cs yesterday, for £3 its beautiful and in mint condition, will put it up in the downstairs loo for decoration :j
    halight wrote: »
    My Wife's Gran and Granddad have one In there bathroom. But they sill use these, The boxed paper is called izol I think.
    They do have soft loo roll as well.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/minor-british-institutions-izal-toilet-paper-1727294.html

izall.jpg
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë"
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Morning all- only just!
    We're having a giant decluttering/ebay session in the house today. Dad put a camera on ebay and it sold in the time it took me to make scrambled eggs :eek: The buyer is only three miles away and he'd get £20-odd more doing cash on delivery rather than paypal but he wants it signed for and won't be convinced otherwise.
    Got to clean bedding and coats, list more stuff on ebay, alter a few clothes and do my OU assignment. Must do my assignment!
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • Dippypud wrote: »
    :eek::eek:I remember that stuff :eek::eek: That was all there was in the schools and public loos in the 60's and 70's horrible scratchy stuff more like tracing paper than loo rool
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Donny - Congrats to your DS and GF!
    FB - Well done, I too have been trying to put an extra tin of toms, beans, etc in my trolly each week and the store cupboard is filling up slowly. Also put extra cartons of orange juice in the cupboard as they have a very long use by date. Would like to have a week of not having to shop (apart from fresh stuff). Well said Halight!

Shopping done, washing on the line, stripped beds and a towel load drying at the mo, the rest can go in later and if it rains it doesn't take too long to dry on the racks but bedding and towels hang about for ages!

Sausage casserole for tea and I was very naughty and had a bar of chocolate for brunch!

Take care and have a good weekend. XX
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    OMG my mother always used to buy that horrible scratch-your-a$$-raw loo paper._pale_ Looking back on things like that, and how she used to make extra work for herself (when cooking, she'd use as many pots/pans/utensils as possible, and she used to iron everything, towels, underwear, the lot) I wonder if she was some sort of masochist.:rotfl:

Before it goes clean out of my head, many congratulations to DG's DS + GF:beer:
    Gosh just had a quick read of the "what happened to the OS board" thread :eek: Pretty unpleasent atmosphere in there - I expect people are feeling more stressed with all the rises in living costs. I just closed the tab quickly - i'm like the dinosaur in Toy Story - I don't do confrontation!! :rotfl:
    Me either - I accidentally strayed into the Arms once; I was positively traumatised!:rotfl:
    tru wrote: »
    I'm mad at mr tru. I can't stand spicy food - the hottest thing I've ever eaten is curry sauce from the chippy :D He roasted some toms with garlic and onions, I had a taste and nearly went through the roof - he neglected to tell me that he'd put his super hot chillies in as well. I was sure my tongue was about dissolve. I have threatened to liquidise his chillies and drip them into his eyes when he falls asleep.
    I'd get a paintbrush and paint it on his manhood - but then, I believe in Revenge with a capital R.:rotfl:
    redruby wrote: »
    Got my mum's dog here while she is away, and she is a bit of a spoilt madam, I think she has peed on the sofa, thank god it is covered in dust sheets, so I will need to wash them later.
    Uh, oh. Naughty dog! What sort is she?:o

I always keep a stash of tins and packets - with my health, there's no telling when I'll be too poorly to shop, so our spare room has crates of "supplies" in; my paranoia about running short of loo roll came in handy when Mr LW was poorly recently.;) It's frightening how stuff is sky-rocketing in price; but what choice do we have - we still have to eat. :cool:
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi.

Don't usually get on here at weekends but the Rev has kindly offered to photocopy all my church mags for me so have a few minutes free.

Have at last heard from my DGD that she got her 10 GCSEs with marks ranging from As to a D for French - a subject she hates. Am very pleased with her as she hasn't found schoolwork easy so she must have worked her socks off. And now she's off to college.

Donnygal: congratulations to your DS and GF.

Beemuzed: Enjoy the knitting. I know it's cheaper if you buy in the stores but not so sure it is as hard wearing. I went into a 'little' shop last week and picked up a toddlers cardigan. It was simply knitted in garter stitch, quite plain and probably only took 1 ball of wool. I could have knitted it in an evening. £16 !!!!!!

What's all this fuss about Izal. There was nothing else when we were children but I must admit I breathe a prayer of thanks to Mr Andrex every time I wipe my bum these days.

LW: Do you remember the great loo-roll famine in the 1970s. People were going spare scouring the shops for odd rolls that might have been overlooked. I have to confess that I have always laid in a good stock ever since.

OK. That's quite enough fun for me till Monday.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Dippypud wrote: »

Yep that's the stuff! They buy these in the box the box then fits into there holder.
    I can remember the stuff from my school when I first started.

I just don't know why anyone would buy the stuff nowadays, My wife says that its not even cheep to buy, And you can get normal soft paper In the box's to fit the old holders too, So its not even like you have to buy it to fit the old holders.
    Maybe its some sort of fetish! Iv heard that some people like it rough!:rotfl::rotfl:

Taplady were you!:rotfl::rotfl:
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Donnygal: congratulations to your DS and GF.:beer::beer:
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure