Playa Blanca, Lanzarote, Guide

Comments

• Elle1971
    Elle1971 Posts: 349 Forumite
    Guapa1 wrote: »
    Bumping to ask a question. Is there any nightlife in playa blanca at all? I mainly want a relaxing holiday, but might want to dance one or two nights. A salsa club would be perfecto! :p

Good news and bad news Guapa1. There's plenty of nightlife about - most of the bars don't really start hotting up until about 10pm. Rooftops will keep you going until 3 or 4 am for example. However - salsa is thin on the ground except for organised events. The Buccaneer in the Marina Shopping Centre used to do it every Saturday... but it's closed now. The closest you'll get at the moment would be "Jungle" which is right on the seafront at Playa Dorada. Don't bother heading there until about midnight though. Plenty of locals, and decent DJs. You can always ask for salsa - and they'll oblige.

Not sure where you are staying - but if you're towards the Western end of the resort, then look out for Bar Manea - which is between the Natura Palace and Rubicon Palace hotels. It's in a small complex called La Mulata. Bar Manea faces out towards the sea, and is a gorgeous chill out bar. They have regular party nights and theme nights there - so you might time it lucky for one of those.

Enjoy our town - and I'll see you on the dancefloor!

Elle xx
    I'm not easily distracted, I just... ... ... oh my god it's a puppy!!
  • Guapa1
    Guapa1 Posts: 890 Forumite
    Aww that's a shame! I haven't booked up yet just checking. I've been in an accident and I usually go to Cuba for holidays, but as I am now disabled, I don't think I could manage the flight. So I'm looking for an alternative place for relaxing, sun, beach and salsa! I can't really dance at the mo, but just listening to the music is great.
    Getting there... A deal at a time. :T
  • Elle1971
    Guapa1 wrote: »
    Aww that's a shame! I haven't booked up yet just checking. I've been in an accident and I usually go to Cuba for holidays, but as I am now disabled, I don't think I could manage the flight. So I'm looking for an alternative place for relaxing, sun, beach and salsa! I can't really dance at the mo, but just listening to the music is great.

Hi again Guapa1. If it's sun, beach and relaxation - then Playa Blanca is perfect for that. Shame about the salsa yes... but don't dismiss the town just yet.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you start to feel fitter soon!

Elle xx
  • Girlzmum
    Girlzmum Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm hoping the OP still checks this thread! My sister is getting married in Playa Blanca in February 2010 and while we've got our flights booked we still need accommodation. We want to stay near their hotel, Rubicon Palace, but finding it really hard to work out areas on the rental sites!!! Can you tell me which areas I should be looking in? Ideally we'd like to be within walking distance of the hotel and we need 2 villas that can sleep at least 6 people (not much to ask for there!!!!) We thought we'd found one today but the owner hadn't bothered to update her site and it was already let for the week. :mad:
    Norn Iron Club member 273:beer:
  • Elle1971
    Hello there Girlzmum - I do pop in sometimes... but I found out about your post because a girl my fella went to college with spotted it and dropped him a message. Small world eh?

Rubicon Palace is lovely for a wedding... we went to one there ourselves a couple of years back - lots of lovely spots for photos! Your sister will have a fantastic day... and will be extremely well looked after.

Have a chat to Angela or Marie at https://www.lanzarotelates.com they have the largest selection of villas, and their service is excellent (declaration of interest: Angela and her husband are our best pals). They've just had their website redone... and I've checked but the useful map isn't showing up yet. Drop them an email and ask them for their recommendations... but I'd be considering Carlos Park or Montana Roja areas, with maybe the Flamingo beach area too. Rubicon Palace is a little way out of the resort centre... but a taxi to the town centre is only about 3 euros... so nowhere is too far really. The promenade walk is gorgeous if you fancy it too. And you can get the the rear of the hotel from the seafront walk as well.

Definitely speak to Angela... she'll sort you out easily. She is more of an expert than I am.

Good luck... and I hope you enjoy our lovely town! :beer:

Elle xx
  • nottslass_2
    nottslass_2 Posts: 1,765 Forumite
    Thanks Elle for the guide.

I've just booked a villa with private pool for a whole month next year (July).:j

I'll be on maternity leave & OH has permission to take an extended break.

We'll be taking DS who'll be 8 and the new baby who'll be 6 months.

Can't wait for 4 whole weeks of no stress....................

The villa is about 10/15 Min's walk from the Marina Rubicon.

Anyway my question is,do you know what the car hire situation is like at the mo ? I'm only asking because main land Spain apparently had a Major hire car shortage last summer & people were being forced to pay hundreds £ per week.

Many Thanks in advance.

Nottslass

PS Thanks to your enthusiasm about your Island I'm getting really excited (even though its months away)
  • I contacted LL on Friday after reading your thread, Angie emailed me back with villas in the Faro Park region saying it was 'close enough'. How close is close enough? There are a couple of villa's we're interested in and will get back to her tomorrow (been working all weekend!)

We're looking for 2 villa's close together as well - big family!
  • Hi and thank you so much for this very useful thread!

I hope you still read it.

I just wondered if you could tell me:

a) What the weather is like end of February/early March normally?

b) What the nightlife and attractions/events situation is like at that time of year? Is it 'dead' there because it's out of season or is there still lots to do?

Thank you in advance! xx
    Thrilled to be DEBT-FREE as of 26.03.10 :D
    Hubby DEBT-FREE as of 27.03.15 :D

Debt at LBM (June '07): £8189.19
  • Elle1971
    Hi NottsLass - no problem at all with car hire. Because tourism is sufering the world over at the moment, Lanzarote hasn't escaped. Many car hire companies are falling over themselves to give you a good deal. I'm afraid my experience with car hire firms is a bit out of date... so you have a choice. Either get your Googling head on and find one online that you can collect from the airport... or get an airport transfer, and do some haggling once you are in the resort (remember to bring your drivers' license). Because you are here for a month you can probably negotiate a better deal within the resort. Hubby got a good deal with Posh Cars recently... but then he did take proof of residency, which may have coloured that. I can recommend a good airport transfer company on the island. https://www.t4you.eu or https://www.123transfers.net - they are both the same person... a lovely fella called Karsten. He is German, but speaks fluent English. Tell him you came via Elle from Canary Nightlife and he'll give you a discount on private transfers too (every centimo counts eh?!). You lucky lady having a whole month... and in July too - which guarantees the weather! Do keep getting excited honey - because you'll have a great time!!! 10-15 minutes from Marina Rubicon eh? You sure you're not going to be my next door neighbours? :j

Hola Girlzmum - yes Faro Park is close enough. If you were wanting to spend most of your time at Marina Rubicon then no it's not quite as handy... but it's definitely close enough to the Rubicon Palace (the two are at opposite ends of the resort). Faro Park is predominantly residential... and lovely and quiet, so you will have plenty of privacy. There is a little row of cafes and shops there too. Here are my faves. Le Moka is fab for pastries and cakes (the chef Alex is a French pastry chef, and works every night to provide fresh goodies every morning... and the owners Dave & Marion are a pleasure to be around). Next door to that you have The Snug, which is a very friendly pub run by the lovely John & Julie. Then you have The Lighthouse Cafe which does good, hearty, great value meals... we love their credit crunch breakfast. Steph and Steve will make you very welcome. Then you have a little supermarket which is great for the essentials... although I would recommend you do your main shopping at Hiperdino in the Town Centre - I can give you directions if you want them. The fastest way to get to the Rubicon Palace on foot is to come out of Faro Park ont the road where the cafes etc are... and turn left. When you reach the mini roundabout, go straight across and cut through the Calimera Hotel onto the promenade... and turn left. You'll come across the Rubicon Palace in about 10 / 15 minutes after that on the left. Alternatively, turn left at that mini roundabout and then turn right at the next one. Rubicon Palace is about a 15 minute stroll on the right hand side. You can't miss it - it's pretty much parallel with the volcano (Montana Roja). Angela will be able to sort you out with two villas close to each other, as I believe she has quite a few in Faro Park. Have a fantastic time... and just yell if oyu need anything else hon!

Hello there Silverbird - yes I still pop in from time to time. just need to make sure I tick the box each time I type to get an instant notification when someone adds to this thread. End of February / early March should be fine for weather. February can be wet... but earlier in the month, so you should just about escape that. This last winter (if you can call it that) lasted for months, and we were sick of the rain... but as soon as Spring hit, it was gorgeous! I'd estimate temps to be about 22 degrees celsius, so even if you do get a little bit of rain it is still very warm. As I have said earlier in ths post... Lanzarote is suffering from the credit crunch just as other places are... but it doesn't suffer so much from an "off season". Don't expect it to be mega busy... but it won't be a ghost town. If anything you'll just get served faster in bars and restaurants! If you look at the Canary Nightlife link in the original post on this thread... you'll find buckets of info about specific places to eat, drink, and be merry. You may also be lucky and catch "Carnival" whilst you are here at that time - I am unsure of the exact date at the moment... but it's a fabulous atmosphere. A number of us are boycotting next year's carnival because the theme is Michael Jackson... but that's our personal choice, and not one I would force onto you. What I will say is that the atmosphere in town is electric... and be prepared to party until the wee hours!!!

Right - I think that's it... but if I have forgotten anything... then do yell!

From a very sunny Playa Blanca with love

Elle xxx :T
  • Girlzmum
    Girlzmum Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you so much Elle! I'm so looking forward to going there, have never been to Lanzarote before and to be going for my sisters wedding makes it so special. If you see a crowd of rowdy Irish people celebrating a wedding on Feb 11th you'll have spotted us!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport