PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting our spare room - how much extra to charge for couples?

Options
2»

Comments

• travelodger
    Options
    What about a 'same-sex' couple???

What's that got to do with anything?

I bet they have as many loud arguments as straight people!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A bit off-subject but picking up the tax issue; you realise there are TWO tax issues?
    1) You mum gets rent from you so SHE has a tax liability. However, as a non-resident (ie overseas) landlady, with (I assume) no UK agent, the tenant (you) can be made liable for HER tax. See here.

2) You receive rent from your lodger(s). This is YOUR income, so may be liable for tax. The rent-a-room scheme (see here) allows you to receive £4,250 before you have to pay tax, though this may depend on things like whether you include meals, and whether both you and your boyfriend are receiving rent.
  • Vincent.waldorf
    Options
    Hey guys,

I didnt want to make a new thread so revived an old one.

I was thinking about renting my spare room (when i get the house) to a couple, and the main thing that worried me is that when they have sex it will be awkard for me as i will be next door!! I don't mind the noise etc.

I think that it will be very quiet with just one person though...

any thoughts on how i could make sure they they have sex when i am not there (which is rarely) it would be too personal to ask how often they have sex ... :S
  • DVardysShadow
    Options
    .... any thoughts on how i could make sure they they have sex when i am not there (which is rarely) it would be too personal to ask how often they have sex ... :S
    It'll be hard enough to make them have sex while you are there and you will be powerless to force them when you are not there.

Don't worry about it, the thrust of the advice on couples is that when they want sex, they will lift you up bodily and put you outside the front door, dropping the latch and only letting you back in if the sex was not good enough for them to forget they had put you out.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • societys_child
    Options
    I agree with DVS, it will be a problem ensuring they have sex when your not there

I'd probably get 'em an egg timer and tell 'em if they wanna do it when your home, they have to beat it to the finish . . .:rotfl:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Single people might be dragging a raft of waifs and strays back to your place for one-off quickies .... every Friday and Saturday night (and sometimes mid-week) .... they might be getting more than a couple would.
  • Vincent.waldorf
    Options
    Single people might be dragging a raft of waifs and strays back to your place for one-off quickies .... every Friday and Saturday night (and sometimes mid-week) .... they might be getting more than a couple would.

good point haha, i have met quite a few people interested in the rooms and some seem ok!

I guess that the other stuff is good apart from that aspect of it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure