PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• kayester
    kayester Posts: 1,844
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    thanks for the advice on cashback apps. i will take a look when i have some free time tomorrow.

had a few bits and bobs to get today, tea bags, sugar foil ect, it all adds up!! have updated sig and going to try have a NSD tomorrow, im new to all this and im so happy i found this thread.

I think i need to invest in a slow cooker, any recommendations are welcome!!
    216/2018 (make ££ in 2018)

Grocery challenge
    Jan 227/400
    swagbucks target 2018 1452/27375
  • Florenceem wrote: »
    So sorry to hear you have been flooded.

Ditto Smokies ... awful thing to happen :(
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,562
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 10 September 2013 at 5:53PM
    Sorry I'm not sure I've never done a dessert in mine.

I'll have a bash once I can get hold of some reasonably priced cocoa, Mr T value (cheapest I know of) seems to be permanently out of stock. I've tried them before but not with added sauce.They are lovely and moist out of slow cooker.
  • I did this in my slow cooker for 5-6 hours on low and just put the mixture directly in the crockpot and didn't bother with a pudding basin. In fact the recipe I had was off a slow cooker fb page :) x

Excellent thaank you.

Apologies for not knowing how to do more than one quote at a time, i am no doubt hogging the board.

NSD for me again today :T
  • I'll have a bash once I can get hold of some reasonably priced cocoa, Mr T value (cheapest I know of) seems to be permanently out of stock. I've tried them before but not with added sauce.They are lovely and moist out of slow cooker.

Cocoa is expensive but I always have some in, I buy the value drinking chocolate and add a bit of cocoa to it as the only difference between the value and expensive drinking chocolate is the amount of cocoa added. I will try puddings myself in the slow cooker when I get hold of some of those plastic bowls which Im sure wont be long - bound to start see Christmas puds in the supermarkets soon :eek:
  • Cocoa is expensive but I always have some in, I buy the value drinking chocolate and add a bit of cocoa to it as the only difference between the value and expensive drinking chocolate is the amount of cocoa added. I will try puddings myself in the slow cooker when I get hold of some of those plastic bowls which Im sure wont be long - bound to start see Christmas puds in the supermarkets soon :eek:

A ramekin might work. I stand my little pots on an upturned saucer, so i can't see it doing any harm.
    Do you normally just add one tablespoon of cocoa to one of drinking chocolate or a different ratio?
  • Smokies, that is truly awful :(

Hope insurance and replacements are all sorted out quickly. In the meantime I think the odd treat and takeaway are definitely allowed x
  • A ramekin might work. I stand my little pots on an upturned saucer, so i can't see it doing any harm.
    Do you normally just add one tablespoon of cocoa to one of drinking chocolate or a different ratio?

Tablespoon :eek: how big is your mug lol I add about half heaped teaspoon cocoa to 3 heaped teaspoon drinking chocolate (I do this each time I make a drink) you can add more or less depending how chocolatey you like your drink. Mix thoroughly with a little bit (approx 2-3teaspoons) of milk before you add the water.
  • Would you mind sharing this recipe I have some YS lambs liver in freezer than has been there yonks, I had never found anything I have wanted to do with it.

Great tip about the celery.

Yes of course, it's from The Dairy Book of Family Cookery 1983

ITALIAN LIVER
    350g lambs liver
    25g flour
    Salt n pepper
    40g English mustard
    450g sliced onions
    150ml beef stock
    300ml milk
    30ml tomato pur!e
    1 clove garlic
    1/2 tsp mixed dried herbs
    30ml double cream
    Chopped fresh parsley

Cut liver into small pieces, coat in seasoned flour. Melt butter, add liver, brown on all sides, remove and set aside. In same pan fry onions slowly until tender, gradually stir in stock, milk, tomato paste, garlic and herbs. Bring to boil, stirring continuously. Add liver, cover pan, cook gently 10-15 mins until liver tender. Season to taste. Place in serving dish, trickle cream over the sauce and top with parsley, serves 4.

"The Italians are very fond of all types of offal. This classic dish, using small pieces of liver served in a tasty sauce, comes from the canal city of Venice."

Hope it works out for you, I will be trying it with whoopsied lambs liver I bought last December!!!

SG
  • NSD today, pleased with that plus had a very economical tea of cheesy beans on toast as requested by DD1 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure