Santander Hard Selling Identity Protection

blued
blued Posts: 698 Forumite
edited 19 November 2010 at 9:18AM in Credit cards
I received my new Santander Credit Card this week to replace one expiring at the end of the month and just called to activate it. After the card was activated the conversation went like this...

CS: Santander have asked me to tell you about their identity fraud protection...
Me: It's ok I'm not interested in taking out insurance
CS: Why not?
Me: I'm very careful with personal documents and I know it will cost me a monthly fee
CS: It'll cost you far more if your card is stolen
Me: Why would it cost me if my card was stolen?
CS: Identity theft is separate to your card it would cost you money
Me: I'm really not interested thanks
CS: Why not, you could have your identity stolen
Me: No thanks - hang up

The condescending tone he used was shocking. I can now see exactly why Santander score so low in the customer service department. Has anyone else come across this?

I also had to speak to them earlier in the week because a transaction of < £100 was declined for no reason. I was trying to make a purchase from Orange and he guessed it was a Santander card and said it happens all the time. Customer services could offer me no explanation.

Comments

• Hax
    Hax Posts: 890 Forumite
    That was probably CPP that you spoke to and not Santander.
    My posts are my own opinions based on my experiences and info gathered from sites such as this.
    They are not a substitute for professional financial advice - but you knew that already didn't you? ;)
    VSP 2011 - Member #25 - Started 6th December 2010 - Total As Of 4th May 2011 (21 weeks in!) - £323.67/£500 - So far so good!
  • blued
    Well whoever it was started by saying "Santander have asked me to..." so they're doing it on behalf of Santander. Customers shouldn't have to put up with that when activating a card especially when they've already said no thanks.
  • Hax
    I was only saying that it was probably CPP that you spoke to. I'd suggest you complain to Santander - they may do something about it - stop using that company or whatever.

Ultimately, if you don't want to "put up with that" - then vote with your feet :)
    My posts are my own opinions based on my experiences and info gathered from sites such as this.
    They are not a substitute for professional financial advice - but you knew that already didn't you? ;)
    VSP 2011 - Member #25 - Started 6th December 2010 - Total As Of 4th May 2011 (21 weeks in!) - £323.67/£500 - So far so good!
  • blued
    Sorry didnt mean to sound like I was having a go at you!

I will be getting rid of the card. I'd been thinking about binning the card in favour of a Halifax Clarity because I need something for overseas spending and it has lower interest on cash withdrawals. The attitude I just got on the phone was the nail in the coffin.
  • Hax
    blued wrote: »
    Sorry didnt mean to sound like I was having a go at you!

No problems - it's a forum - emotions are hard to convey via text :)
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,671
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 19 November 2010 at 11:23AM
    Even though you said no, it's worth keeping you eye on your statements just in case - check the programme transcript linked to here for a discussion on the practice from last weeks 'Moneybox' programme on Radio 4

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/moneybox/9184363.stm
  • blued
    Thanks for the heads up, I will keep an eye on my statements.
  • blued wrote: »
    I received my new Santander Credit Card this week to replace one expiring at the end of the month and just called to activate it. After the card was activated the conversation went like this...

CS: Santander have asked me to tell you about their identity fraud protection...
    Me: It's ok I'm not interested in taking out insurance
    CS: Why not?
    Me: I'm very careful with personal documents and I know it will cost me a monthly fee
    CS: It'll cost you far more if your card is stolen
    Me: Why would it cost me if my card was stolen?
    CS: Identity theft is separate to your card it would cost you money
    Me: I'm really not interested thanks
    CS: Why not, you could have your identity stolen
    Me: No thanks - hang up

The condescending tone he used was shocking. I can now see exactly why Santander score so low in the customer service department. Has anyone else come across this?

I also had to speak to them earlier in the week because a transaction of < £100 was declined for no reason. I was trying to make a purchase from Orange and he guessed it was a Santander card and said it happens all the time. Customer services could offer me no explanation.
    I too had a very annoying chat with CCP over identity protection and am still having on-going row over documentation which never arrived, even after reminding them about it. Unless they have a change of mind about cancellation of the policy which I stupidly agreed to initially I will be in touch with Office of Fair Trading as their operation falls far short of being either efficient or courteous.
  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business